Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the turboxs BOV and race pipe, The BOV was easy to install and took maybe 20 mins. I took the car over to a local shop to get them to install the race pipe. They said that it was a federal crime to remove the second cat and that I could be slapped with a 25k fine...was this guy messing with me or is this true?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
hah, i dunno about the fine, but the pipe is clearly for "offroad use only"

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Well you live in VA - so I know a bit. If you read the law books - ANY modification of ANY part on your car - MOST especially anything having to do with emissions control - is illegal. Period. I believe the laws are the same in every state or at least very similar.

I did a lot of looking into this back when i was doing my custom exhaust on my '83 el camino 5-6 years ago. I ended up doing completely custom, and doing all the welding myself. Any shop I took it to wanted $800 - just to saw off the old single pipe and put a new single pipe back, and they could not do dual exhaust because it was illegal to change out the cats (even though now it runs with two cats - instead of a single cat)

So short answer? yes, the guy was right, you could be slapped with a heavy fine if someone wanted to go through the legal troubles to pick on a car enthusiast...but we all see how many honda's sponsored by folgers coffee are driving around, so you can tell its obviously not enforced.

You can goto another shop - in your neck of the woods im certain you could find a billy bob shop that is willing to do it for like $60 or something.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Maryland if your caught without the cat it's $10k fine. However it only replaces your secondary cat so you can tell them just to replace it cause the cat is on the downpipe. If anything you get in trouble not the shop usually

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71132.msg1249297#msg1249297 date=1173108013]
Maryland if your caught without the cat it's $10k fine. However it only replaces your secondary cat so you can tell them just to replace it cause the cat is on the downpipe. If anything you get in trouble not the shop usually
[/quote]

The shop is not allowed to do the mods for you - so if they change your parts they can get in trouble for it too - which is why most refuse to do it.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Just do it yourself...get some jackstands and crawl under there and unscrew some stuff...got to wiggle it around a little but she'll go in there without much problem...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts