Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the race pipe installed this morning. I took it to a local performance shop and they knocked it out in about 30 minutes. First thing you will notice is that you can actually hear the turbo spooling under WOT, its pretty loud now :p The exhaust tone itself is not a great deal louder than stock, just gives it a little more aggresive note to it. Now for the most important aspect, power gains. You can definitely feel more power through out the power band on the butt dyno. Overall a very good mod for very little money, here are some pics :lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=vincent65 link=topic=69185.msg1199816#msg1199816 date=1171146552]
Nice mod! How much did they charge you to install it?
[/quote]

60 bucks. I didn't have any ramps or means to get underneath it so this was the logical choice for me. I wish I had video so you could hear how it sounds, maybe next week I can get something put together.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Looks good. I can't wait until there's more of them in stock.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Intro price is $139 I believe, may be $149 after that.
Its not legal since it removes your 2nd cat.
Installation is very fast since its a bolt on item.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
yep, 4 bolts and its off
only issue is that the bolts are generally made out of cheap metal or very low grade stainless and usually rust in a short amount of time. I had the exhaust on my last car for 2 years and when i went to remove it I had to take a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to remove the nuts.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
replaceing the bolts an issue? doesnt seem like it would be hard to get some high grade stainless or something that wont rust.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the post. That looks like a nice mod, nothing that really changes how the car makes power, just frees up a restriction without adding much NVH.

I wonder how much difference removing the second cat will make in states/provinces that only have a sniffer test and no visual.

There is still one cat there, will it be enough to pass the test?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i think the numbers turbo xs claims are inflated.... how can this pipe that only eliminates one cat and keeps the restictive 1st cat make more power that the cp-e full DP tat removes both cats and adds a highflow cat ? i'm sure it has gains but not what they claim.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i would think the cp-e would yeild more power as it is a full DP not just a small section.
but turbo xs "CLAIMS" to make more power . i dont see how... it doesnt make sense.
thats like saying a catback will make more power than a turbo back....it just doesnt add up.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
well what they are claiming is WITH their short ram intake from stock dyno to intake plus race pipe. of course you will gain more with the cp-e but for an easy bolt on it makes decent power in COMBINATION with an intake just as the cp-e down pipe will make more power WITH their intake. And since cp-e is putting a cat on their im willing to bet that once turbo xs dp comes out that it will make more power cuz theirs will have no cat, but personally i'd like to have at least one cat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
[quote author=tvissues link=topic=69185.msg1201011#msg1201011 date=1171226987]
well what they are claiming is WITH their short ram intake from stock dyno to intake plus race pipe. of course you will gain more with the cp-e but for an easy bolt on it makes decent power in COMBINATION with an intake just as the cp-e down pipe will make more power WITH their intake. And since cp-e is putting a cat on their im willing to bet that once turbo xs dp comes out that it will make more power cuz theirs will have no cat, but personally i'd like to have at least one cat.
[/quote]

has CP-E or Tubo XS posted prices yet? I rather not have the cat. and get the full power of the turbo. I'm not worry bout smog either, out here in CA on a BRAND new car u don;t have to smog it untill the 5th year of regist.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't mean to raise a problem that isn't proven yet, but I will share a caution coming from the turbo'd Subaru community.

when you go with a full catless, wide-open (free flowing) exhaust, there is the potential to experience boost creep.

this is when the lack of back-pressure and an under-sized wastegate port allows the compressor side to spike upwards of 5 psi over the WG setting.

this was an especially well-known problem with the early STIs and WRXs with bigger turbos.

By no means am I saying or claiming that boost creep will be an issue with a full catless exhaust.

just mentioning it because it is a real phenomenon. I simply don't know enough (yet) about the K-04 turbo's characteristics.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
[quote author=peanutsparts link=topic=69185.msg1201021#msg1201021 date=1171227296]
[quote author=tvissues link=topic=69185.msg1201011#msg1201011 date=1171226987]
[/quote]

has CP-E or Tubo XS posted prices yet? I rather not have the cat. and get the full power of the turbo. I'm not worry bout smog either, out here in CA on a BRAND new car u don;t have to smog it untill the 5th year of regist.
[/quote]
i think that they are both still in the final stages of research and development, but i've been told that turboxs is sometime by the end of feb.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts