Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

My name is Jermaine, I work for a company called TurboXS we specialize in Turbocharged Aftermarket Performance parts. Some of you may know of us from the Subaru world. Recently we have done some development work on the MS6 and MS3. We received our MS3 in the beginning of November. For the past few months we have been playing with our car. With roughly 300 miles on the car we went straight to our in house Dynapack Dyno to get a good baseline.

Here are our baseline results:

Stock Car 274 ft. lbs. & 244.2 whp

Next we decided to pull off the exhaust. We found that Mazda made it complete pain in the ass. You have to cut the factory exhaust off the car in order to replace the cat back or you have to remove the complete rear sub frame. We chose the much easier route, we just cut the factory exhaust off the car.

Here is the dyno plot:
Stock Car Vs. 3 inch Cat-Back 16.8 ft. lbs. & 6.5 whp peak gain

The last test we installed a SRI Intake and Blow Off Valve on the car with the Cat-Back. The car showed reasonable gains.

Cat-Back, Blow Off Valve & Short Ram Intake: 9.1 Ft. lbs & 6.3 whp peak gain

All of these gains are still with the stock boost controller. The boost settled at about a 16 psi spike, then down to 4 psi at redline.

We have a few more test's we plan on doing while waiting on our production exhaust pieces to come in which will be:

Down-pipe with Stock Exhaust - I think removal of the cats is where the power can be found

Fuel & Boost controller – On a stock Ms6 we picked up 25whp just tuning fuel without raising the boost at all. We will make over 300 whp with just bolt on parts.

Thanks,

[email protected]
www.turboxs.com
301-977-4727

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
sweet! Thanks for filling us in. When do you think your parts will be ready for production?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Very nice to have you guys @ TurboXS on board! :)

Just out of curiosity, a couple of qs...

1) What gear were these pulls being done in?

2) What other parts do you expect to research into?

3) What kind of fuel and tuning devices were used with the MS6 you mentioned? And are these the same that you'll be using to tune the MS3?

I have no doubt the downpipe/removal of cats will yield the significant gains expected.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Glad to see another respectable name in the tuning game on board! :D
I look forward to seeing your finished products and thanks for the baseline plots.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
where in MD are you located? I'm in Fairfax VA glad to see a tuning shop 'close' by.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet! Thanks for filling us in. When do you think your parts will be ready for production?
We have a few items in stock right NOW.
Blow Off Valve Kit, DTEC-FCBC, Knocklite, Short Ram Intake.

I am pushing to have our stealth-back exhaust by 1st week of February. It will include our 3 inch Stainless Steel Downpipe and our 3 inch Stainless Race-pipe that will connect to your stock exhaust. This will keep you from having to cut your stock Cat-back off of the car and pick up some large gains immediately.

[quote author=Focused link=topic=66421.msg1139350#msg1139350 date=1168297856]
Very nice to have you guys @ TurboXS on board! :)

Just out of curiosity, a couple of qs...

1) What gear were these pulls being done in?

2) What other parts do you expect to research into?

3) What kind of fuel and tuning devices were used with the MS6 you mentioned? And are these the same that you'll be using to tune the MS3?

I have no doubt the downpipe/removal of cats will yield the significant gains expected.

Good luck and keep us updated!

[/quote]

All of our dyno pulls are done in the gear that is closest to the 1:1 Ratio due to the type of dyno we use. The parts we have in production already are listed above, we have a FMIC kit proto type as well as an upgraded turbocharger kit. Our Tuning device we are using is called the DTEC it is a fuel and boost computer. We are currently running this on the MS6 and it's loved by our SRT-4 Customers. It has features like wide-band compatibility, gear based boost control (torque management), 5 different fuel and boost maps(this will allow you to have a race gas tune), scamble boost, knock indicator, etc. It is a capable little unit.

[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=66421.msg1139845#msg1139845 date=1168313253]
Glad to see another respectable name in the tuning game on board! :D
I look forward to seeing your finished products and thanks for the baseline plots.
[/quote]

NP

[quote author=Mellman link=topic=66421.msg1140384#msg1140384 date=1168353083]
where in MD are you located? I'm in Fairfax VA glad to see a tuning shop 'close' by.
[/quote]

We are in Gaithersburg, about 20 miles outside of DC. We are planning to have a Mazda day here at the shop in the near future. It will be a good chance to have all of you guys come by and get a good chance to hang out with the TurboXS team. Keep an eye out for it.

Jermaine~
www.turboxs.com
301-977-4727

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow all this anticipation for parts from Vishnu, Cobb, and Mazdaspeed, then out of left field here comes TurboXS. WOW way to step up and I'm sure steal a few customers that aren't willing to wait.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pictures of the short ram installed please? None on your website.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=66421.msg1140549#msg1140549 date=1168359827]
do you know if there will be any cutting to fit the FMIC in..if so how extensive?
[/quote]

We are trying to keep cutting to a minimal, I will not say how much will be involved until we finalize our installation and pipe location.

[quote author=Wizno link=topic=66421.msg1141619#msg1141619 date=1168392817]
The aftermarket for the speed3 is growing so rapidly. It's amazing!
Keep it up guys!
[/quote]

Well it doesn't grow until you get parts on the shelf.

[quote author=awdturbo link=topic=66421.msg1142270#msg1142270 date=1168432548]
Pictures of the short ram installed please? None on your website.

[/quote]

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
9.1 ft/lbs and 6.3 whp with an sri, catback and bov seems minimal considering mazda claims 35hp gains with their cai and catback.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=dread link=topic=66421.msg1142469#msg1142469 date=1168444625]
9.1 ft/lbs and 6.3 whp with an sri, catback and bov seems minimal considering mazda claims 35hp gains with their cai and catback.
[/quote]

No that's 16.8 ft. lbs and 6.5 whp for catback. Adding intake and bov on the car without raising the boost at all you get 9.1 ft. lbs gain and 6.3 whp gain over your cat-back only hp. So that's a total 25.9 ft lbs. gain and a 12.8 whp gain. Raising the boost on this car will have huge gains.

From what we have seen on the dyno it's seems pretty tough to gain 35whp with just an intake. We have a CAI we are playing with that could change the results. It may be possible to gain 35 whp if you oversize your maf housing this would effect the cars Air to Fuel Ratio.

On our shop car we run the valve VTA. We have both kits VTA or Recirc.
Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
we have heard from ms6 owners that a sri is only good if you want to hear your bov in recirc.. it will probably lose performane drawing in all that hot air

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=TRU-BOOST link=topic=66421.msg1142563#msg1142563 date=1168447724]
we have heard from ms6 owners that a sri is only good if you want to hear your bov in recirc.. it will probably lose performane drawing in all that hot air
[/quote]

This is not a battle of SRI or CAI. It is simply an intake that gained 6 whp.

Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
[quote [email protected] link=topic=66421.msg1142493#msg1142493 date=1168445556]
[quote author=dread link=topic=66421.msg1142469#msg1142469 date=1168444625]
[/quote]

No that's 16.8 ft. lbs and 6.5 whp for catback. Adding intake and bov on the car without raising the boost at all you get 9.1 ft. lbs gain and 6.3 whp gain over your cat-back only hp. So that's a total 25.9 ft lbs. gain and a 12.8 whp gain. Raising the boost on this car will have huge gains.

From what we have seen on the dyno it's seems pretty tough to gain 35whp with just an intake. We have a CAI we are playing with that could change the results. It may be possible to gain 35 whp if you oversize your maf housing this would effect the cars Air to Fuel Ratio.

On our shop car we run the valve VTA. We have both kits VTA or Recirc.
Thanks,

[email protected]
[/quote]

That makes more sense, how much boost can you gain before the turbo is out of its efficiency range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts