Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my speed 3 for a few months now and absolutely LOVE this car! Anyways, I'm not much of an aggressive driver but am an auto enthusiast. When I drive, most of my commutes are around town and some short interstate-hopping. Long story short, I rarely run the car into the turbo induced rpm's. Is it bad not to ever have the turbo kick in, or should I be hitting the turbo from time-to-time just to give it a little "exercise"? Just curious, because I used to own a Prelude SH and was always told to hit VTEC every once in a while if I didn't run it hard.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
you probably use the turbo more than you think, it starts to spool pretty early even with just moderate throttle useage. but either way not beating on it is all the time is probably a good thing you are doing.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=i love jdm hoes link=topic=134263.msg2886598#msg2886598 date=1232758238]
OMG VTACH.
[/quote]

:)

Anywho, the car's almost always in boost. The only reasons for hitting VTec on a regular basis is to keep the mechanics of it all loosened up and to open up your injectors and spray them clean. Neither of these problems apply to our direct-injected car. :)

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Even if you don't "need" to hit high RPMs / high boost levels to keep the car happy, I still recommend you do it every now and then to keep YOU happy. You bought a fast car, let it put a grin on your face every now and then :)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=134263.msg2886736#msg2886736 date=1232761884]
...let it put a grin on your face every now and then :)
[/quote]

Like the picture above?

·
Registered
253 Posts
[quote author=Mizzle link=topic=134263.msg2886796#msg2886796 date=1232763654]
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=134263.msg2886736#msg2886736 date=1232761884]
...let it put a grin on your face every now and then :)
[/quote]

Like the picture above?
[/quote]
LMAO...you took the words right out my mouth. :)
vvvtach....yo

·
Registered
518 Posts
turbo boost 100 times a day to keep the mechanic away.

I drive my car HARD everyday, why not thats why I bought it. Just break your car in properly then pound it like a prostitute. If I'm in a bad mood or having a bad day I boost that baby, puts that smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^ eh, not the best thing, but to each it's own

i also was under impression that once in a while you'd have to get on it. redline it once a month, so that the temperature rises and burns off all the crap out of the system.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My tech told me not to baby the car because carbon will build up and fuck the emissions system up. He told to drive it like I stole it, but let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving.

·
Registered
518 Posts
lol why wouldnt you drive the car hard? did you buy a performance car to cruise around at speed limit or under like old people? PFFFF this is a street track car, made to handle abuse...I bought it for a reason and its going to get used. If you didnt want to "turbo" daily why wasnt the plain 3 purchased? you live once, boost the fuck out of life!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just because you go WOT a few times a day or more doesn't mean squat. Drive it hard and perform your regular maintenance and it'll be fine - that's what it was designed for.

Now, if you're in third gear all day at redline driving down the interstate all day, that's another story...

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's good to get on it every once in a while to break up any build up of carbon in the cylinders or on the piston. That's what we do with the RX's because they build up severe carbon. Our motto is "A redline a day keeps the rebuild away". Also never hurts to use some fuel system cleaner every once in a while, it will also help with build up. And like the other guys have said, you bought a hot turbo hatch, enjoy it

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ahh god. So I need some help here.

My turbo starting smoking seconds after I out my TBE on, the same unit that was on dkohn1337's car. And it started getting worse, and smoking like crazy. And blue smoke, that smelt like oil. I was tripping out, and everyone figured it was my seals. So i took it into mazda, and they told me it would be 140 bucks for them to check it out, and that if it was a factory defect, it would be refunded. So they had it yesterday and today. And they called me and said I need a new turbo, and because of my after market exhaust, mazda declined covering it. But that's illegal isn't it? they can't just vocalize that it was my cat, they have to actually prove it that it was my cat. But how the fuck could it be my cat? My cats have nothing to do with my turbo seals. They tried blaming the oil that was put in, when actually it was the right kind and amount. I told the bitch I would call her back tomorrow. I don't know what to say. Going to go in there with my buddy who's more of a talker. But any advice, input?

:(

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
[quote author=Mcdixon23 link=topic=134263.msg2910324#msg2910324 date=1233708221]
Ahh god. So I need some help here.

My turbo starting smoking seconds after I out my TBE on, the same unit that was on dkohn1337's car. And it started getting worse, and smoking like crazy. And blue smoke, that smelt like oil. I was tripping out, and everyone figured it was my seals. So i took it into mazda, and they told me it would be 140 bucks for them to check it out, and that if it was a factory defect, it would be refunded. So they had it yesterday and today. And they called me and said I need a new turbo, and because of my after market exhaust, mazda declined covering it. But that's illegal isn't it? they can't just vocalize that it was my cat, they have to actually prove it that it was my cat. But how the fuck could it be my cat? My cats have nothing to do with my turbo seals. They tried blaming the oil that was put in, when actually it was the right kind and amount. I told the bitch I would call her back tomorrow. I don't know what to say. Going to go in there with my buddy who's more of a talker. But any advice, input?

:(
[/quote]

should have put it back to stock before you took it in. there is really no way you are going to win that argument unfortunately... good luck

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=Mcdixon23 link=topic=134263.msg2910381#msg2910381 date=1233709950]
Even with the law stated earlier in the thread?
[/quote]

They would have to prove the reduced backpressure caused the failure.

You're going to need a good lawyer and hope you can recoop your funds.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=cpl0877 link=topic=134263.msg2886234#msg2886234 date=1232748925]
I've had my speed 3 for a few months now and absolutely LOVE this car! Anyways, I'm not much of an aggressive driver but am an auto enthusiast. When I drive, most of my commutes are around town and some short interstate-hopping. Long story short, I rarely run the car into the turbo induced rpm's. Is it bad not to ever have the turbo kick in, or should I be hitting the turbo from time-to-time just to give it a little "exercise"? Just curious, because I used to own a Prelude SH and was always told to hit VTEC every once in a while if I didn't run it hard.
[/quote]

It's good to get on it on a regular basis to keep the plugs clean. Even when you are taking it easy, the fuel mixture momentarily goes rich every time you shift.

BTW, the amount of boost is a function of engine load and not RPM.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts