Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come where I am within 500 dollars of buying myself a HiBoost kit! : ) But, what I'm wondering is, what should I expect to go bad with my car once I turbo it! I'm not planning on running this kit hard, but it seems like my clutch might get burned out or I might break an axle in 4th or 5th gear from the torque. Has anyone had problems with their car once it has been boosted yet? Should I save more money for a rainy day before I buy the kit? Also how long should boosted 3 go without forged internals? All criticism is welcome! : )

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Something could break 5 minutes before you install the kit!
Something could break 5 minutes after you install the kit!
Every question you asked has no answer to it.

The best thing for anyone installing any aftermarket FI system is be prepared for the worst, you never know what will happen.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
that question is like asking when you will die.

·
Registered
501 Posts
generally if you run it at 6-7psi(230-240whp) the hiboost should be safe, assuming a proper install of course. if you are running more boost than that expect issues with the tranny being weak(gears in particular). also, of course you should save money for a rainy day/repair fund before you buy the kit, thats always good policy. Its not going to go 100% as planned though, nothing does. good luck

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys, and I know its a very broad question but, I just wanted to make sure that like everyone that got a turbo also didn't melted their clutch or something else. I am going to cry when I hear the BOV for the first time i know it lol

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
dont forget.

the turbo kit cost 3800$

but then u have to think about gauges+ gauge pod then oil sparck plugs upgrades of the turbo kit u might want, TT or boost ctrl.

make sure u talk to Juan before you buy anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just some general comments I guess... you may know them already but what the hell, what have I got to do besides work? :)

I imagine you don't do this anyway, but it will be worse with the greater compression from the turbo: Don't run the engine hard until it is nice and warmed up (after 10-15 minutes of driving, not the 5 it takes for the coolant temp sensor to indicate heat). Once the engine is nice and heat-soaked and all the parts have expanded, you're much less likely to blow head gaskets or other nastiness.

If you drive your turbo hard, let it idle for a minute or two before shutting it off to allow oil to circulate through the turbine's bearings. If you don't, don't expect it to last long and then all you've got is a fancy, restrictive muffler in your engine bay.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yeah, if you really will be draining all your disposable cash to buy the turbo, I'd get yourself at LEAT an extra $500 over the cost of the turbo together before you buy it, just in case, especially if this is your daily driver. . .

if you have something else you can drive if your 3 breaks, thats a different story. . .

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Get a credit card with like $5000 limit and save it for any shit that breaks. If you install correctly and dont play with the boost or run lean, you should be as safe as possible.

Like stated earlier, you will need plugs, gauges, gauge pod, I recommend a wideband so you can check your AF and probably a stiff engine mount.

Check out glow shift gauges, not much money and very nice IMO. Thats what Im running.
Talk with Juan, he can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome info, I would have never of known any of that info if it wasn't for those comments! It is well appreciated! : )

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
no i am not kidding!

if something happens it will atleast preven the fire from getting to big. you can loose ur all car like that!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=69643.msg1212676#msg1212676 date=1171662173]
buy a fire extinguisher
[/quote]

probably good advice.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=69643.msg1213406#msg1213406 date=1171688649]
http://www.glowshift.com/

nice

what ones did you get? 7 color? tint?
[/quote]

I got the black 7 color. The tints are harder to see in the day. I really like them. Quality is as good as any other gauge. Check out their gauge pods. they have a A-pillar pod 1,2,or 3 gauges.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=69643.msg1213636#msg1213636 date=1171718497]
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=69643.msg1213406#msg1213406 date=1171688649]
http://www.glowshift.com/

nice

what ones did you get? 7 color? tint?
[/quote]

I got the black 7 color. The tints are harder to see in the day. I really like them. Quality is as good as any other gauge. Check out their gauge pods. they have a A-pillar pod 1,2,or 3 gauges.
[/quote]
pix please!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts