Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a feeler, but does anyone regret getting their turbo?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
haha....highly doubt it.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I do sometimes!

It has not been a very smooth and easy path unlike other projects I have had or helped on. Granted I don't just have the base kit and want to run it like that. I wanted more saftey, more power, and better than stock drivability, great MPG. And yes all of this can happen!
Just little problems that have no answer yet are making it hard to reach something I waited so long to acheive.

Sometimes wish I had gotten the SRT-4 or Mustang, but that goes away for a few when I drive the car or install more parts.

I think I'm getting very close to the end of this car and moving on to something different.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
yeah that's the downside of FI. you get the option to make a lot of power. once the install is done there's really not much else to look forward to and things fizzle out. all my turbo focus friends have gone through that.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=66661.msg1144815#msg1144815 date=1168551703]
yeah that's the downside of FI. you get the option to make a lot of power. once the install is done there's really not much else to look forward to and things fizzle out. all my turbo focus friends have gone through that.
[/quote]

Really it is not about making more power for me. I just want a safe and stock like driving car. I've actually have tried to lower the power by putting smaller wastegate spring in and running a 2.5" exhaust with a resonator. The exhaust didn't work as it had fitment issues so I stayed with the 3".

I even put off the rods and pistons to by me an AR-15 and get back in to my other expensive hobby.

Beside it is hard enough getting 270whp down the track I have yet to see what 350whp will be like on street tires.

Not to discourage anyone from getting a turbo kit, but my car is not a dedicated daily driver, it turned into my project car. But is not where I want to be with over a years time into it.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=66661.msg1144852#msg1144852 date=1168552657]
[quote author=the415 link=topic=66661.msg1144815#msg1144815 date=1168551703]
[/quote]

Really it is not about making more power for me. I just want a safe and stock like driving car. I've actually have tried to lower the power by putting smaller wastegate spring in and running a 2.5" exhaust with a resonator. The exhaust didn't work as it had fitment issues so I stayed with the 3".

I even put off the rods and pistons to by me an AR-15 and get back in to my other expensive hobby.

Beside it is hard enough getting 270whp down the track I have yet to see what 350whp will be like on street tires.

Not to discourage anyone from getting a turbo kit, but my car is not a dedicated daily driver, it turned into my project car. But is not where I want to be with over a years time into it.
[/quote]

Haha another AR fan, eh? My good friend is a nut about 'em, he's got two, one that is his baby, and another that he is building up (bought it for nothing, customizing the hell out of it). You on the forums?

Sorry for the :hijacked:, BTW

·
Registered
943 Posts
i think the guy that got the hass kit might regret getting it considering his car blew up or whatever. But azmz3, what else besides the wastegate did u do to make ur car safer?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
J&S was the biggest thing....plus not upping boost, which is easy to do

my only regret is not planning to be addicted. if i would have seen it coming i would have planned better. doing the prototyping made scheduling things rough, and the custom stuff on top of that has had absolutely no bearing on ANY sort of schedule. for an example, the 1st time Juan called me was August of '04....that's how long this project has been in motion, trying to finish.

i don't regret it at all, but i would sell the car in a heartbeat if i thought for a second i could get 1/2 of what i put in it. as it was said, you kinda get used to it after a bit, even running 15psi around town started feeling....ehh. then you drive someone home (or play with another car) and you get back to the feeling of day #1 as you see the passenger dig their nails into the dash, or the confused look an the Ferrari driver.

what i'm saying, is now that the kits are more planned and precise; parts that would be needed are known and where to get them, not to mention people like Juan now, who have every answer you could come up with. if you can afford it, do it!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
No regrets for me.

However, sometimes during winter I find the time long! (running a 323 as winter beater)
I honestly don't see how a turbo'd car can be your daily drive. With all the time mine was
not running, I would have spent a fortune in taxi if I hadn't bought a beater...

Starting agin, I would have planned my mods better. I was first going NA and bought
everything possible (header, exhaust, CAI, pulleys, flywheel), then I had not enough so
I went nitrous and then I wanted all that power but all the time, so I went Hiboost.
Lost money for all of thoses ''switches''

It is hard to resist when you have some money avaiable and you see all the modded cars
around you. I honestly think that being patient pays in the long run
(at least I would have saved some dough!)

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=jeanseb link=topic=66661.msg1145058#msg1145058 date=1168559616]
No regrets for me.

However, sometimes during winter I find the time long! (running a 323 as winter beater)
I honestly don't see how a turbo'd car can be your daily drive. With all the time mine was
not running, I would have spent a fortune in taxi if I hadn't bought a beater...

Starting agin, I would have planned my mods better. I was first going NA and bought
everything possible (header, exhaust, CAI, pulleys, flywheel), then I had not enough so
I went nitrous and then I wanted all that power but all the time, so I went Hiboost.
Lost money for all of thoses ''switches''

It is hard to resist when you have some money avaiable and you see all the modded cars
around you. I honestly think that being patient pays in the long run
(at least I would have saved some dough!)
[/quote]

I agree with the patient part...it would have save me alot of money and time.

I have gotten alot of parts that wouldn't work, that were a pain in the ass to get working and some that I am still working on to get right.

I just barely installed my Koni's that I purchased in March of 06, and still have yet to install the EBC rotors and Hawk pads purchased on the same date.

If I could now go back when I was deciding to get the kit I would most likely not do it. Mostly becuase I think I'm ready to move on.

As for safety I got the J&S which I have to send back to get checked and alot of gauges to monitor almost everything, oil cooler, Redline trans fluid, good boost conrtoller, turbo timer and constantly looking to see what will make the car kit better. Not to mention I'm constantly datalogging the car with either a scan tool or the Haltech. And trying to use most features on the Haltech to make everything better, which is not always working!

As for the AR, I just look through the forums. I always wanted a AR and it was either that or the Cosworth intake manifold and new injectors. And I choose to put buying parts for the car on hold for a long time! :lol:

Herb

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
AzMz3
u got the trubendz 3"?

got some pix p lease i would like to see how it is?

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I don't regret it, if I did I'd take it off and sell it.

That said, I have thought about selling my car cause now I'm into this Jeep thing.
I don't drive it much so it's kind of just taking up space, buuuut when I do drive it I enjoy it. I don't drive the car hard cause it just quickly gets illegal, it's just quick.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=66661.msg1147769#msg1147769 date=1168703944]
AzMz3
u got the trubendz 3"?

got some pix p lease i would like to see how it is?
[/quote]

Yeah I have the 3" TruBendz exhaust but don't have any pics of it other then the tip that I posted in another thread.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its funny how so many boosted owners feel the same way...

I don't regret going turbo so much as I wish I didn't rush into things. There are other things out there that a 21 year old needs and blowing up an engine because i one day decide to turn up the boost isn't one of those needs. I agree with MrTea if i could sell it i would. I agree with Jeanseb in that seeing other ppls modded cars made me envious. As far as being over it like Herb, I have barely gotten into it and it kinda scares me as to what could happen with $$ and :mayo: and by mayo i clearly mean a mind continuously dreaming of better things. But that is my personality i'm never satisfied and i'm sure most other boosted members would agree to that. No matter what i drive i will always mod it, hell when im 70 and can't walk anymore from crawling under cars my entire life i will replace the swap the motor in my "hover-round" :eek:

So if you think you want a turbo think about this
1. do you have a second car?
2. do you have 2500$ in the "oh shit" account?
3. do you understand how to tune a car to your climate/needs?
4. do you want to go real f*ing fast?

PS: My beater died the other day so now my 3 is a daily driver, with 3" of snow on the roads..... YAY ....shouldnt have spent my "oh shit" money on a new couch.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
ahhaahah

i like the
ho shit

i dont and i wont need to, i am LUCKY, tuch wood

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your inputs! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
if you do a good install of your turbo and dont mess with the boost, you shouldnt need a o-shit account. But thats why its called that. At least have a credit card with a few grand on reserve. Keep the boost low and the car maintained and you shouldnt blow up. .

1 - 20 of 56 Posts