Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the 2.3liter is less torquee in NA because we use regular fuel, while it is tuned to use upgrade fuel in europe. Could we "retuned" the motor for it to use super grade fuel? (better torque, better mileage) I've heard that using super fuel in a "detuned" doesn't bring any advantage. So I hope the 2.3l can be "retuned" to use upgraded fuel. Anybody know anything about that?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Just got to be patient with these ECU tuner companys. When the car becomes a hot seller they will have one ready.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 questions about ECU modification on the MZ3 2.3liter:
1) is it legal (environmently wise)?
2) is the car warranty affected?
3) how much does it cost (100.$ --- 1000.$ )?
4) Have any idea HP/torque gain?
5) Do we have to declare it to the insurance?

·
Registered
172 Posts
gib said:
5 questions about ECU modification on the MZ3 2.3liter:
1) is it legal (environmently wise)?
2) is the car warranty affected?
3) how much does it cost (100.$ --- 1000.$ )?
4) Have any idea HP/torque gain?
5) Do we have to declare it to the insurance?
Not sure, but I'll try to answer them anyways.

1) Yes, it should be legal.
2) Yes, you probably will loose your warranty. Not sure.
3) Not sure, but guessing around $350.
4) No idea, but most likely up to 20 HP and 20 ft. lbs. of torque.
5) I dont think so.
:p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info :lol:

To bad for the warranty, I'll just have to wait 5 years, then give a second life to my MZ3 by changing her ECU :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say a gain of 10hp should be expected with a good tune on a completely stock car. If the car has ANY mods done to it, a computer tune will be amplified slightly.

With Intake, Header, Exhaust, and Computer Tune 200hp at the engine shouldnt be that difficult. Especially when the intakes on the market for the 2.3L Mazda6 are gaining 10+ whp by themselves!!!!

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
so just turbo your car once a turbo comes out hahaha =p

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know most of you don't care, but just making sure people know that more performance usually means more gas consumption. unless for some reason the ECU sets it to a more optimal setting that is even more efficient than the factory? I doubt it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel consumption

From what I read (don't remember where exactly) the fuel consumption should be lower than regular fuel (better combustion, less effort, more efficiency).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in Australia they advertise that the Mazda 3 although is detuned for standard fuel actually increases in power and torque when premium fuel is used. The standard 115Kw may increase to the 122Kw which is the same as the Mazda 6

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dru212702 said:
I know most of you don't care, but just making sure people know that more performance usually means more gas consumption. unless for some reason the ECU sets it to a more optimal setting that is even more efficient than the factory? I doubt it.
That would only be true if you were using the car at its horsepower peak all the time.
Typically most bolt on modifications do not lower the efficiency (and in some cases increase it, albeit very few) of the engine, and the only reason ppl experiance lower mpg is cause they cant keep thier foot out of it.

·
Banned
868 Posts
DuratecPerformance said:
I would say a gain of 10hp should be expected with a good tune on a completely stock car. If the car has ANY mods done to it, a computer tune will be amplified slightly.

With Intake, Header, Exhaust, and Computer Tune 200hp at the engine shouldnt be that difficult. Especially when the intakes on the market for the 2.3L Mazda6 are gaining 10+ whp by themselves!!!!

Nikolas
Whoa....10hp+ just with intake!? You're kidding me, right?

·
Registered
427 Posts
If someone could obtain the differently tuned ECU as a part from Japan or Europe, would it work if plugged into a N.A. car? Assuming it is then run with premium fuel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If in fact they are identical cars it should be fine...but remember that pretty much everything is electronic..your speedo may be off (they use km/hr ya know), tranny might not be geared the same, may use different tires/wheels, couldnt go down to autozone for codes, they might be completly different, etc..It MIGHT work but I wouldnt hold my breath

1 - 18 of 18 Posts