Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the diameter of hole in the (sedan) trunk lock? I'm looking for a reverse camera and haven't had a chance to remove the lock yet and find out myself. The search function, actually the whole site hasn't been working properly for me today.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just measured and the lock cylinder itself is 22mm wide. The black rubber/plastic seal surrounding it is 34mm wide on the outside and the inside surrounding the lock cylinder is about 1mm thick so the trunk opening should be around 24-25mm wide. A 22mm camera body should fit snug in the seal but the cameras come with an outer seal so the one on there might not be needed....still 22mm should fit.

Found THIS one with a body diameter of 22.5 which should fit but I don't trust the metal tabs to keep it there in the long run. Especially with the thinner neck near the lens and no seal.

Then there's THIS one with a 32mm outer diameter which would be good for the 'look' since the original seal is 34mm. But the body diameter of 28mm would require some trimming of the opening.

Maybe I'll hit Fry's tomorrow and see what they have if I can't find something else that'll fit without modification.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty, ordered THIS one. It has the closest measurements to the lock that I could find. 25mm at the thread end, 34mm on the face and 60mm long. Should fit....I hope.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek: And I searched "reverse camera" but nothing came up. Thanks for the link. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
[quote author=MonkikiMazda3 link=topic=138248.msg2982252#msg2982252 date=1236558457]
:eek: And I searched "reverse camera" but nothing came up. Thanks for the link. :)
[/quote]

No problem, good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a quick thought….

Once I accidentally flipped the little red tab on the trunk latch which disables the ability to open the trunk from the cabin. So, removing the key lock would not be optimal unless you made sure to unlock the back seats so you can crawl through.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, thought about that but I can pull the seats down to get at the child safety release lever in the trunk if the release lever fails. No worries though. Did the same on my '94 Saturn SC2 and had no problems. Still going strong last I heard.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone else is looking, I did find out which camera is needed for the trunk keyhole. They're on eBay for $30-$100 and don't include any IR LEDs from what I can tell. There's no specific name or model number for them but a search for "keyhole rear view camera" will bring them up. Don't bother with the cameras that show the IR LEDs around the lens. Those are too big. The $100 supposedly works just as good as the IR ones but thats more than I'm willing to pay. Its more for novelty than function so I'll go with the $30-$35 ones.

HERE's a link to an eBay guide on how to choose the right backup camera. The first two pictures with 'yanlab' on them show the difference between the main types of keyhole cameras. The first one with no IR LEDs is what you want for the 3. It looks exactly like the one that ST_RIOT used in THIS thread. I'll probably order one later tonight and update with confirmation once I get it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts