Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy got these for his Honda Accord and at the same time ordered me a couple of them so we put them in the other night. What do you think? Sorry for the bad picture quality, just took these on my cell phone. Will get better pics with digi cam later.

· Registered
7,014 Posts
good idea but they look like fluorescent lights you would buy at home depot :lol:. I would maybe consider it though

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not 100% sure what they are, my buddy ordered them, but he said they are CCFL's. He said they were meant to be used inside computer towers to light them up, but then just modded them so they will work in the car. They were only like $7.50 a set.

· Registered
7,014 Posts
thats a good idea for usability but for looks i wouldn't really do it. They do look like CCFL lights though. I'm sure they are. Maybe if you put them in a way where you can't see them....closer to the top edge of the trunk.

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the hardest part was deciding where to mount them. They are just stuck on with double sided velcro stuff, so we had to have a flat surface so that both ends could lie flat. I hardly am ever in the trunk anyway, just did it because he ordered them haha. It's very bright though, the pictures don't show that at all.

· Registered
7,014 Posts
as long as you like what you did thats all it matters :p

· Registered
801 Posts
little bit about CCFL...

CCFL is a Fluorescent Lamp, Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp

The ones we often see in house/office lighting, they are also Fluorescent Lamp but
they are called HCFL Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamp

Efficiency isn't as high as HCFL but there is no need for CCFL to heat up its cathode, CCFLs cathode can be simple and very small. That's why it's easy to use in small space such as screen back light, illuminating signs, CCFL ring in headlight.

But most importantly that CCFL can be dimable easier with CCFL inverter.

· Registered
7,014 Posts
aaaaa...no wonder. Nice to know

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Just be careful that you don't slam anything against them...mercury content is pretty high. Still, a great idea...I used some LED strips for my cargo area. Then wired the control box (with a switch) to the existing cargo light wiring. So, they can stay on and turn on when the hatch door opens or can be manually turned off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.