Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference between borla and trubends.. I installed the trubends and the borla is now officially off and being sold at the mazda3 sale section. Anyhow, i have the trubends magnaflow with NO resonator and it's quite loud.. Sometimes feel it's louder then a cargo type truck... Anyhow it's very deep sounding and i enjoy driving it a lot.. but after getting a speeding ticket... i'm bit paranoid about driving it which takes all the fun out.. as i heard cops can pull you over and give you a ticket for this.... i really don't want to downgrade back to the borla (which sounds good but too quite for me)... i also think borla made it quite on purpose so they don't have to worry about law enforcement.. anyhow, i had no idea that loud exhaust can get you tickets.. that really is disappointing..

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
as long as you are under the volume limit they cant ticket you. it's usually ~98db i believe. lowest is like 90db.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
^ yeah, i agree that you probably won't get a ticket for too-loud-exhaust. However, an exhaust like that without a resonator does make it reallllly obvious when you're driving aggressively, because it gets like exponentially more loud when you get on it and hit higher RPMs.

You're practically screaming at any cop within a few blocks to come take a closer look at what you're doing if you drive really aggressively with a super loud exhuast, and thus you're a lot more likely to get pulled over for speeding or just accellerating too fast (yes, you CAN get pulled over for that, even if you're not speeding yet... don't ask how i know ;)).

Of course, speeding on public roads isn't smart anyways, so maybe it's a good thing that the exhaust makes you a bit paranoid now and keeps you going slower? :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should i get a radar system so i know cops aren't around me and i can feel more at ease?

also.... do cops have db checker? like radar gun..

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
i would say most do. kinda like with tint, they have a gun to check it...

and meh radar. just don't drive like a retarded kid in a civic and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=Verto link=topic=139446.msg3005994#msg3005994 date=1237534266]
just don't drive like a retarded kid in a civic and you'll be fine.
[/quote]

exactly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here in Washington State, they can nail you for having a "modified exhaust", especially if you have one that removes any of the factory cats.
My experience has been that so long as you don't drive like an asshat all the time, and don't give the cop a hard time when you do get pulled over, you're fine. It's one of those things that they add on to the ticket if you're being a jerk - "Let's see, gotcha for speeding, but since you're making my life hard, let's check that funky exhaust...and while we're at it, what about those HID's/"

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i got it because of your recomendations.. Dont get me wrong i think you were right on the money with it... BUT it would have been nice if you let me know it's illegal to have loud exhausts... :eek:
Either way, i was going to sell my borla but now i have to probally keep it in case i have to let go of the trubends.. i really like this exhaust though :lol:

I kind of also feel that trubendz or any exhaust companies should make a warning label in there site mentioning that it may be legal/illegal in some states to have loud exhaust and might get ticket.. i think lot of new modders like myself had no clue something like that even existed until the cop told me about it...

So best thing you suggest is that i just drive cautiously and don't rev up ... man I feel like a horse being harnessed... i guess it is kind of selfish to drive loud though....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know some people get warnings and some get cited (mostly cited i believe as cops i sometimes think just like nabbing people.. but then again there just doing there job)...

and was thinking should i just carry like a muffler part and put it in my trunk and if i get pulled.. show the officer that i'm replacing the muffler with this so that it isn't so loud...

I know resonator is an option for the trubends but googl'ing it think it doesn't quite it that much.....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=biped link=topic=139446.msg3006557#msg3006557 date=1237566349]
lol told ya the trubendz would fit the bill
[/quote]

i almost forget the magnaflow trubends that i have is pretty much just a magnaflow exhaust right??? what makes it so loud?? is it the long pipe that is before the magnaflow muffler.. and takes out that cylinder tube looking thing...

"be careful what i wish for" :lol:

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The "cylinder tube looking thing" on a Magnaflow IS the resonator.. and it is just straight pipe on yours. The resonator really tones down the exhaust frequency. Do you have the 2.5"?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the cylinder type thing I "took" off to put a long straight pipe in ... that was the resonator.... so if i buy the resonator from trubendz.. is it lie a two piece set or one piece..
i'm bit confused.... :lol:

i think i should take a photo of what i took off the mazda.. it was like a bee hive type looking thing.. (with no bees)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to rant again and make this post all about me but i kind of feel intimidated by cops and more modding you do it gets under the radar more... and i feel that even sudden movements they just pull you over... like accelerating to the speed limit but not going over... and just mellowing out.. .kind of takes fun out of driving.. O well.. i guess i'll have to focus on good music in the car then.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
[quote author=animescreen link=topic=139446.msg3007243#msg3007243 date=1237583121]BUT it would have been nice if you let me know it's illegal to have loud exhausts... :eek:[/quote]

If you listed your location in your profile, it will make it easier for other members to tell you if something is illegal or not. biped would not know what the laws are where you live.

Now if you told us what state you are in, then maybe someone can tell you what the legal decible limit is for exhausts.

Also it should be your responsibility to research laws before jumping into modifying. If you are unsure, then ask before buying.

This is TruBendz label on their website:

"Environmental Disclaimer
TruBendz Technology has designed some parts for dual purpose installation which can be installed on race cars (i.e. off-road) or street legal cars and does not support illegal use of our products which can violate Environmental Laws. Every item available for sale through TruBendz Technology comes with all hardware required for 50 State legal driving. All of our products sold with “High Flow” catalytic converters are 50 State Legal for use on all roads. We list disclaimers next to all our products which can be used for dual-purpose installation and rely that the owner installs our product appropriately for their application."

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=animescreen link=topic=139446.msg3007455#msg3007455 date=1237588939]
it was like a bee hive type looking thing.. (with no bees)
[/quote]

Ok, with that description, it sounds more like you actually removed the high flow cat instead of the resonator. Does your exhaust smell different/stronger than it used to now? Also, that is DEFINITELY illegal in a lot of states, unlike the resonator removal would have been.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i like loud exhausts and they're not illegal where i live. :dunno:

the onus of observing local laws is squarely on you.

what i can say with authority, however, is when i had my own straight-piped exhaust with a header (no muffler, nothing) it was CRAZY loud. and i was STILL able to keep the volume under control by short-shifting and not stomping on it. so i firmly believe that you can control the volume if you like, in fact, i know you can.

that being said, i wouldn't worry too much about cops being dicks. if they're going to pull you over for a modified exhaust, you will have just as much chance with a borla as with the trubendz.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Biped does seem to be spot on with his exhaust knowlege, hell i had the HKS and went through all kinds of resonators etc. and he told me to get the Racing Beat and man is it quiet and low and I have a catco HF cat! Anyway, I have a 2-week old MAganflow $" round 22" long resoantor htat will quiet it down a lot for you! $45 and it is yours 2.5 in, 2.5 out!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=139446.msg3007566#msg3007566 date=1237592288]
[quote author=animescreen link=topic=139446.msg3007455#msg3007455 date=1237588939]
it was like a bee hive type looking thing.. (with no bees)
[/quote]

Ok, with that description, it sounds more like you actually removed the high flow cat instead of the resonator. Does your exhaust smell different/stronger than it used to now? Also, that is DEFINITELY illegal in a lot of states, unlike the resonator removal would have been.
[/quote]

Yeah my car does smell like fumes when driving (hope it goes away).. i thought it was about to blow up... but since it's illegal i'm sure i won't pass the emission test so i will have to take it off... Trubendz also came with a smaller pipe and wondering if this goes between the high flow cat and the muffler.... problem is i think it needs to be welded on..... i forget when my emission testing is but im sure they won't let me by with this setting I have (which i really like!)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
i think most mods are illegal.. but u shouldnt have a problem unless u drive like a jackass

i drove like a jackass and got summons for tints, license plate light, and muffler.. didnt get cited for HID yet

i was thinking of removing my resonator to lessen the restriction of air flow, but after hearing from ppl's experience how loud it is.. it'll be like asking for attention from blocks away, and i dont want that :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts