Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side headlight had trouble adjusting, turning the switch or whatever you want to call it.. (it would turn but there would be no difference in height)
the passenger side had no issues..
curious to know if there is an easy fix for that? I need my beams to be lower, HIDs seem to be doing no help because of how high they are...

:cry:
thaaaanks :)

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Factory auto leveling HID, or stock halogens you converted to HID?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock halogens, just put an HID kit in but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
I figured out how to adjust them, its just that the drivers side seems to be broken i guess
I'm guessing the previous owner messed around with it or something.
The little screw or nob you twist, does rotate, but it doesnt change the height at all of the beam

idkk does that make sense

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
There are two screws; one does height, one does rotate.

That said, if you only just swapped in HID bulbs and have to adjust, then the problem is the bulbs, not the aim of the headlight.

The only time you need to adjust the aim is when you take it apart; but even the gen2s don't have that problem, they got smart with the headlights.

If your beam pattern is off, your bulbs are either A cheap junk that should be replaced with quality bulbs, B not the right bulb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But if the right side is the same exact bulb and it adjusts then the drivers side should as we..

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Both of them can adjust, like I said there are two adjustable screws that if you open the hood and look down on the backside of them you will see them (gen1s had a little white cap on them you had to remove, I think gen2s got rid of it because it made no difference.. I think, I could be wrong.)

What I'm getting at though is you shouldn't have to adjust your headlights after doing HIDs, unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no they are pretty cheap HIDS, they do the job but if i adjust them both a little lower they'll be more brighter,
I know the screws adjust them, I have already done it, like I said, the right side does work, the drivers side screw twists but doesn't adjust the headlight meaning its broken, I was just wondering if there's an easy fix for that screw..?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Is it broken broken or is it the tool you're using?

The first time I adjusted my headlights the screwdriver I was using wasn't large enough and it wasn't grabbing the teeth.

Then I realized they were actual bolts, so I just took a ratcheting wrench and went at them; 9mm maybe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were able to be turned by hand,
I know something is wrong with the screw, because the passenger side adjusted with no issues.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
unless it was adjusted too far to where it fell off the screw... but that shouldn't be allowed to happen, unless it went so far that it got stripped?

It may require taking the headlight out and apart to see what's going on.

At least off the car, which isn't too hard, hopefully not apart but definitely sounds like something is not.. right.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Hilarious. Same thing that happened to me when I switched to a HID system. I, however, took apart the projector to replace the lens' and paint the shroud, all that jazz.

The passenger side adjusted fine but the driver side not at all. When the lights are turned on the cutoff on the driver side is way off into left field and looks like a bump because (I believe) the light is shining through the little holes in the projector surround haha.

While I was adjusting the driver side, in the pitch black of night, with the headlights and bumper already re-installed I kept turning the side-to-side screw until *thunk*. Fuck. The projector fell off the screw. Which is entirely possible because there is nothing that stops the projector.

So once I get some better light, by that I mean dusk when I can see the cutoff and still be able to adjust the screws I'll try it again. It's holding on to about 3-4 threads at the moment haha.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hilarious. Same thing that happened to me when I switched to a HID system. I, however, took apart the projector to replace the lens' and paint the shroud, all that jazz.

The passenger side adjusted fine but the driver side not at all. When the lights are turned on the cutoff on the driver side is way off into left field and looks like a bump because (I believe) the light is shining through the little holes in the projector surround haha.

While I was adjusting the driver side, in the pitch black of night, with the headlights and bumper already re-installed I kept turning the side-to-side screw until *thunk*. Fuck. The projector fell off the screw. Which is entirely possible because there is nothing that stops the projector.

So once I get some better light, by that I mean dusk when I can see the cutoff and still be able to adjust the screws I'll try it again. It's holding on to about 3-4 threads at the moment haha.
ahhhh
yeah i was just trying to adjust them lower so my view would come out brighter
oh well, hopefully there wont be any issues raising the foglights a bit :)
getting tints next week! ahhhh
Everytime I drive my car I imagine it looking the way I want it to..... can't wait to see what she looks like a year from now :bigsmile::bigsmile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts