Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

can someone verify or deny this statement that trip computer can be activated after changing your cd to 6 cd changer?? I know, I know, there are more than few posts reagrding this topic but none of them has clear answer... :(
I have 2004 Mazda 3s 2.3 sedan (USA), with standart cd/fm player.
First I liked this idea and was planing to upgrade to 6cd and Mpr3, but then I spotted icons on my LCD which definetely were trip computer's icons - mileage, litres etc (of course they never light up). So what is the difference between standart cd and 6 cd changer if those icons are in both devices?? Maybe it's not enough to change cd device, what about other things which calculates mileage, fuel consumption - are they installed on every model but not activated? :shock:

Thanks!
Justin

·
Registered
976 Posts
The icon on the LCD is there but doesn't mean the functionality is there. To the LCD it only means when a certain wire is given a signal, a certain point/icon on the LCD would come up. I have icons for air conditioning and other stuff, but none of them work at all. What really piss me off is some of the common functionalities just aren't there. Like the fuel computer, why the hell is it integrated into the 6CD changer? Would it make any sense if they integrate the cruise control in the bose stereo system, and regardless if the feature is there they leave the buttons of cruise control on the steering wheel. Whoever designs them has to smarten up a little.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=68536.msg1188577#msg1188577 date=1170721735]
The icon on the LCD is there but doesn't mean the functionality is there. To the LCD it only means when a certain wire is given a signal, a certain point/icon on the LCD would come up. I have icons for air conditioning and other stuff, but none of them work at all. What really piss me off is some of the common functionalities just aren't there. Like the fuel computer, why the hell is it integrated into the 6CD changer? Would it make any sense if they integrate the cruise control in the bose stereo system, and regardless if the feature is there they leave the buttons of cruise control on the steering wheel. Whoever designs them has to smarten up a little.
[/quote]

this is pissing me off as well that this kind of option is integrated in cd changer. The main question still remains - is it enough??? Is it enough to change the cd changer? That's what I am looking for. If someone could confirm 100% that changing the cd changer is enough I would go for it. But as I said before, I concerned that something more could be required... Some upgrade in engine area... I dunno.

·
Registered
64 Posts
[quote author=Retrax link=topic=68536.msg1190781#msg1190781 date=1170807187]
^^^^same setup with my 06S, and no trip computer activation :x
[/quote]

+1

I am tempted to do a full out investigation to find out more info about this "upgrade".

·
Registered
61 Posts
well i actually read the whole topic through that Mazda3gt just mentioned, and from what i can see only two, out of the many that tried including me, got the trip computer working, and most of them had 06's with 6cd changers. so it would seem that there are certain 6cd changers that has the trip computer programmed in them, and some that don't. i am in the same situation as you with only a single cd changer. I know that when you buy the radios online, they give options like

6cd w/ bose w/ trip w/ mp3
6cd wo/ bose w/ trip w/ mp3
...so on, and so forth

So i would assume you don't have bose. I'm sure that if you get a replacement radio such as a 6cd w/ mp3 w/ trip and wo/ bose, that it would work. However that is not confirmed.

My father-in-law will begin working for a mazda dealership in longwood, FL in a few days, so i will try to do a lil investigating with the service guys to see what thay know about the matter. I'll get back to you guys when that happens.

·
Registered
976 Posts
[quote author=phear86 link=topic=68536.msg1190944#msg1190944 date=1170810274]
My father-in-law will begin working for a mazda dealership in longwood, FL in a few days, so i will try to do a lil investigating with the service guys to see what thay know about the matter. I'll get back to you guys when that happens.
[/quote]

With all my respect to you and your father in law, but I don't think the ppl at the dealership even know any more than we do.

1) When I bought my Canadian '04 3i, the salesman told me that I can change the "Hello" message that I get on the LCD to whatever I like. Took me 3 years to realize it's not going to work.
2) I asked them about installing HIDs, but they said I'll be taking the chance of melting the wiring system. Most HIDs are only 35w while the stock is 55w halogen.
3) I asked them about the DRL issue that I had with aftermarket HIDs, they can't come up with anything. I came up with the idea of blacking the sensor.

I think the only explanation to this is that they do it for a living. It doesn't matter if they know the car as long as they can sell it. If anything breaks, they'll fix it according to the service bulletin. That's like their bible, I'm sure if the service bulleting tells them to eat XXXX when light bulbs burn out, they probably will. If it's not on the service bulletin, they'll replace the whole freaken unit and rip you off on that just because they don't know to fix it.

As for us, we don't do this for a living but because we love our cars...

·
Registered
61 Posts
i see what your saying, but salesman, and service ppl are two diff things. Salesman will say anything to sell a car, but in reality probably cant change their own tire if their life depended on it. But service guys will try to sell you services and installs for 4x the price. So if i asked a service guy how much it would cost for install and parts to get the trip computer working, he'll probably qoute me an outragous estimate. BUT thats what i want, just to know if they could do it, and what parts they use, i don't want to actually pay an arm and leg for him to do it. but with what you said, sometimes service guys are idiots and don't know crap. But with every bunch, there's that one guy that actually likes his job, and knows what he's talking about, that guy that is like us. Thats the kind of guy that i'm looking for.

Point is, i want to know if getting the radio is enough, or if i need the cars computer upgraded(which i doubt)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for your replies and interest in this post. Take a look what I found at one Ebay store http://item.express.ebay.com/_Car-E...ngersQQadnZCarQ20ElectronicsQQcmdZExpressItem

The most interesting part is in the title which says: "2006 Mazda 3 MP3 CD Changer w/o Bose with driver info"

"Driver info" is what we all need - trip computer (I guess..). So, it comes that all you need is 6CD changer with Bose and MP3. I am about to write to that seller and ask to confirm this.

And I agree about the dealers... They know nothing about cars! Of course, there are few guys who love their job, who are mad about cars, but only few...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Changer - w/o Bose w/o driver information system - Part # BS0A-79-EGX - MSRP: $525.00
Changer - w/o Bose with driver information system - Part # BS0B-79-EGX - MSRP: $525.00
Changer - with Bose with driver information system - Part # BS0D-79-EGX - MSRP: $525.00

What I'm going to try and find out is what the different is between the 2 changers (without bose).

Why is it that some changers can unlock the DIS and some can't? Is it a firmware difference? If so, can the firmware be updated on the older changers?

Is it a difference in the manufacture of the radio? I don't think so. In the other thread, one of the individuals said they had a Clarion headunit, mine is also Clarion. This leads me to believe its a firmware issue. I haven't been able to "unlock" my unit yet. All the information I'm posting is pertaining to 2006+ models. I don't think this info is valid for earlier models, unless the DIS was an option on the GT or SP23 models of previous years. If it was an option, then this info may still be relevant.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Maybe the difference IS the ability to be unlocked. I'm starting to think that the two people who successfully unlocked their radios had the BS0B (for whatever reason, maybe they has a parts shortage and had to substitute) and everybody else has the BS0A.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had a 6-disc changer added to my wife's 07 3s Touring and there is still no trip info. I plan on trying the button pressing tactics on one of the other posts.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=NPHLYT link=topic=68536.msg1193365#msg1193365 date=1170892444]
I just had a 6-disc changer added to my wife's 07 3s Touring and there is still no trip info. I plan on trying the button pressing tactics on one of the other posts.
[/quote]

See if you can find out what the part number of the radio they installed was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was looking on a mazda parts site, and the description for each changer is "w/trip computer" or "w/o trip computer".... I guess the cd changer you have is the one model "w/o trip computer".
The models w/trip computer shouldn't need any "trick" to unlock them. I remember seeing a more documented post about this some time ago.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a sport speed3 no luck here either just resets the clock to the nearest half hour

·
Registered
782 Posts
[quote author=ronus20 link=topic=68536.msg1192746#msg1192746 date=1170879317]
Changer - w/o Bose w/o driver information system - Part # BS0A-79-EGX - MSRP: $525.00
Changer - w/o Bose with driver information system - Part # BS0B-79-EGX - MSRP: $525.00
Changer - with Bose with driver information system - Part # BS0D-79-EGX - MSRP: $525.00

What I'm going to try and find out is what the different is between the 2 changers (without bose).

Why is it that some changers can unlock the DIS and some can't? Is it a firmware difference? If so, can the firmware be updated on the older changers?

Is it a difference in the manufacture of the radio? I don't think so. In the other thread, one of the individuals said they had a Clarion headunit, mine is also Clarion. This leads me to believe its a firmware issue. I haven't been able to "unlock" my unit yet. All the information I'm posting is pertaining to 2006+ models. I don't think this info is valid for earlier models, unless the DIS was an option on the GT or SP23 models of previous years. If it was an option, then this info may still be relevant.
[/quote]

I've also been wondering if just having the right radio (ie part #BS0B or BS0D) alone is enough. It seems like you need a couple extra sensors and the correct signals being sent to the radio for the trip computer to work. You would need to know the amount of fuel consumption, fuel remaining, and distance traveled and have those signals all sent to the same place. I wonder if all these sensors are really present in all vehicles, and that if you have the correct radio model that can read this info then you can have your trip computer? Or do only the vehicles that come standard from the factory with a trip computer have these sensors, and the few people who have managed to get this unlock thing to work on their cars happen to have fluke vehicles.

I'm leaning more towards the latter, as there have been such a small number (3 that I know of) of people who have managed to get this to work, and I just can't see the factory adding sensors and routing signals that will never be used on that particular vehicle.

I guess the only way to find out is for someone who hasn't been able to get the unlock trick to work on their car to purchase a BS0B or BS0D radio and see if they can now get the trip computer to work on that car. If that's the case, then all vehicles probably have the sensors and there might be some other way to read the signals and calculate and show the results on the LCD.

Who has $525 they'd like to donate to this experiment for the benefit of all Mazda 3 owners? I'd be willing to let my own car be used as the recipient of a new Changer - w/o Bose with driver information system. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
HACK FOR 2006+ models Driver information system

on 2006 a later models the trip computer can be activated by pressing the AM/FM and CD buttons down, as you turn the key in the ignition, starting the car is not required, only to bring power to the stereo, if you did it right and its a 2006 or later you should see a message "DIS ON" turn off the car and back on again.

i have an 2005 and was upset when i found out it only works on the 2006+ models.

however to answer your question as far as i know, the head unit is slightly different in 2006 than in 2005, that allows the hack. so upgrading to a 6 cd changer would work provided it was from 2006 or later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts