Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the s has 160 horsepower and the i has something like 147 but i was wondering if there was a differences in the display of mph. i know it doesnt mean anything, but its still good to know. i think the s shows 140 but im not sure of the i.

also, whats the advantage of getting sport package and is there anyway to get moon roof without that option?

thanks

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Re: differences between the 2 models

vartex said:
i know the s has 160 horsepower and the i has something like 147 but i was wondering if there was a differences in the display of mph. i know it doesnt mean anything, but its still good to know. i think the s shows 140 but im not sure of the i.

also, whats the advantage of getting sport package and is there anyway to get moon roof without that option?

thanks
I don't think there are any number differences in the speedo display, but the "S" has the electroluminescent gauges.

The sport package IMO makes the car look "better/sportier" with the 17" wheels and side sill extensions. I also think they will help slightly with handling, but at the expense of a little road noise ( but is still surprisingly quiet IMO).

Yes, you can get the Moonroof/6CD package without getting the sport package. You can also get the ABS/SAB/SAC package on the S without the sport package. On all S models you get the sport bumpers, electroluminescent gauges, and black taillights. Not sure what trans you prefer, but I have seen a good selection of Auto S models with 6CD/moonroof and ABS package cars without the sport pkg. I want the Sport package so my MZ3's MSRP will be $20,005. The same car without the sport package would be $19,515.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt matter if its AT or MT to me..both are good. is there any way to get the i model with the fog lights?

and what do you mean by electroluminescent gauges.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The electroluminescent gauges are different from the "i" model lights in that when the car is OFF, the gauge numbers disappear and the only thing you see is a white "ring" inside the 3 round gauge pods. Normal "i" gauges show white numbers during the day, and have a red backlighting at night. The electroluminescent gauges, when the car is turned on, light up red during the day, and at night has blue rings of light around the red numbers/gauges ( it looks really cool, and is pleasing to the eyes :) ) Also when you open you car door at night the blue rings light up before you turn on the car, then the red numbers appear along with the blue light as you turn on the car.

Look at Slalom's pics of his titanium hatch to get an idea of the electroluminescent gauges at night.

http://www.vwot.org/community/modules.php?set_albumName=album59&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

·
Registered
169 Posts
The electroluminescent gauges are so smooth. They were almost reason enough to get the S. Plus, I like the interior with the black and red and the 3-line grill. The black tailights on the S look better, imo, than the red ones on the I models. I just wished they would've offered green in the S models, but I guess the "2-tone" interiors wouldn't have gone very well with a green exterior.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know someone posted this before but i cant seem to find it:

whats the advantage in getting the sports package (what all is included)

·
Registered
114 Posts
vartex said:
i know someone posted this before but i cant seem to find it:

whats the advantage in getting the sports package (what all is included)

17" Wheels and Side sill extensions-only available on the sedan. The hatch comes with these standard.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well then whats so good about the side sill extension. does it do anything to performance or safety?

·
Registered
272 Posts
vartex said:
well then whats so good about the side sill extension. does it do anything to performance or safety?
They do nothing. Just for looks. In fact, in the long run, they might trap contaminents that will build up and damage paint if someone ever chooses to remove the side sills. The 3 has very clean lines. Side sills don't add much, if anything, IMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The S model also comes with A/C and the sport grille standard -- the three bar style. It's interesting that the European model of the "i" version has the plastic grille painted body color, which also looks nice, and owners here could have it painted if they buy the "i". I think what makes the sport grille look better is that it is body color making the car's hood look longer. Dealer-installed fog lights have black around them which could also be painted for a unique look.

Jimbonc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts