Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Mazda 3 2.5
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Mazda 3 (2.5) with a 5-speed automatic transmission. As of recently (about a month or two ago) I noticed that the transmission would start slipping when engaging the second gear. This only occurs when I give the car some gas, when driving with little throttle given there is absolutely no slippage and it shifts normally.
I checked the trans oil and it was full, but the color seemed darker than normal, the next day I took the car to a shop and changed the oil. The issue persisted, still slippage when engaging second gear. I also asked the mechanic to scan the transmission and we got no codes from the TCM.

What is causing this slippage? Has anybody else had this and successfully resolved it before? Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
150 Posts
This doesn't sound good at all. If it were me I would be starting my search for a good, low mileage used transmission.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2011 Mazda 3 (2.5) with a 5-speed automatic transmission. As of recently (about a month or two ago) I noticed that the transmission would start slipping when engaging the second gear. This only occurs when I give the car some gas, when driving with little throttle given there is absolutely no slippage and it shifts normally.
I checked the trans oil and it was full, but the color seemed darker than normal, the next day I took the car to a shop and changed the oil. The issue persisted, still slippage when engaging second gear. I also asked the mechanic to scan the transmission and we got no codes from the TCM.

What is causing this slippage? Has anybody else had this and successfully resolved it before? Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated
You left out critical data , miles on car , number of times and when you have done trans flush / or drain fill ? What are your driving habits ? Terrain you drive on ..hills , freeway , stop -go . Cars overall service history - Who else drives it etc .???
Regardless , I have the same 5sp auto trans and have done 4 trans fluid replacements each at about 30-35k miles - Trans seems good at 135 k miles - I agree w/ Davids3 except if you pull a used trans theres no way of knowing its condition- never seen a transmission fix itself or get better once slipping - - That said ..IF you have reasonable mileage and have taken good care of that car ...I personally would get a reputable rebuild or find a GOOD replacement . The 2.5 mzr engine is wholy bulletproof with many X-over components lifted from the speed3 to improve engine durablity since its a 2.3 bored / stroked engine . 4340 moly piston sleves, powder coated connecting rods , Forged crank, stainless steel exh manifold etc etc - One thing to remember IF you do fix the trans is that Mazda programmed that transmission to upshift WAY WAY to early to reflect better gas mileage on the sticker , thus at 30-40 mph you are often in OD 5th gear and when you hit the throttle it has to downshift - causes early wear on the trans - I use the manual mode in the city to retard upshifts and its proven to reduce unnecessacary shifting and wear - I thought about reflashing the software to solve the early upshift , but decided to be more hands on and leave it be . That said my TCM did go south at 125k and it was easy to change as its right under the battery . Dealer part cost about $450 + -.
Its a very good solid Mazda that has the old body and that real Mazda hand built feel to it . Despite poor city mileage , and the trans early upshift , lack of real temp gague ...i think the car is a lifer - dont let it go unless it beat and abused ! - They dont make em like they use to -- and 2011-12 was the last years b4 Mazda mass production -good luck !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts