Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!, I will start this post by saying I'm trying to help my neighbor with a 2008 Mazda 3with about 230k on it. He was honest and said it's likely never had a transmission service. I'm a competent wrencher, but have only owned Mercedes for the last 20 years. I did a search and didn't find a similar problem. The car slips in all forward gears badly. Really only moves enough to get around the parking lot(very slowly). Seems to rev to 3000 or so before anything moves. Reverse seems to work fine. He has been quoted that he needs a new transmission. I'm sure we can figure that out, but wanted to check with the community before we go that route. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey all!, I will start this post by saying I'm trying to help my neighbor with a 2008 Mazda 3with about 230k on it. He was honest and said it's likely never had a transmission service. I'm a competent wrencher, but have only owned Mercedes for the last 20 years. I did a search and didn't find a similar problem. The car slips in all forward gears badly. Really only moves enough to get around the parking lot(very slowly). Seems to rev to 3000 or so before anything moves. Reverse seems to work fine. He has been quoted that he needs a new transmission. I'm sure we can figure that out, but wanted to check with the community before we go that route. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
Automatic? OBD-II codes available? What does the AT fluid look like (presuming ATX)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automatic? OBD-II codes available? What does the AT fluid look like (presuming ATX)?
Hello, yes, it is an automatic. Oddly, I am not getting any transmission related codes. It's possible that the shop he took it to reset the codes and it's only been driven a 100 ft or so since he brought it home. The fluid is dark and smells a little burnt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This doesn't sound good to me, "The car slips in all forward gears badly. Really only moves enough to get around the parking lot(very slowly). Seems to rev to 3000 or so before anything moves" As in sounds like a dead or near dead tranny.

Has this ever had the fluid changed. Automatic transmissions love clean fluid. Certainly worth a shot, I think a dump and fill is ~3.5 quarts, can't recall. Buy 8 quarts and do it 2X, 3X even better and see if life improves.

Oh and buy the Mazda stuff MV-5, me thinks, not some AutoZone special.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all, thanks for the replies, but the neighbor went to a dealer and they gave him $1000 on trade and the car is now gone.

·
Registered
309 Posts
We almost never see anyone ever post the outcome to their thread, so when someone does, they deserve a special award.
🏆

1 - 6 of 6 Posts