Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Mazda3i Automatic, 68k miles

i took the car in for an oil change. the mechanic said the transmission fluid looks dirty, and recommened a transmission flush.

What's the interval for a transmission flush?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Re: Tranmission flush?

Whenever the fluid is dirty. :lol: General consensus seems to be flush at every 30K miles. There's a how-to somewhere on here on how to drain and fill the transmission, but at 68K, I'd suggest getting it flushed at a shop instead of drain and filled.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Re: Tranmission flush?

[quote author=danielj link=topic=136697.msg2946492#msg2946492 date=1235017302]
This is a really good how to on doing an ATF change.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66369.0
[/quote]

That's the how-to I followed when I flushed my ATX a couple weeks ago, worked great.

I'm going to do mine every 25k, because based on how bad my old ATF looked when I drained it, 30k may be too long based on my driving habits.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=136697.msg2946470#msg2946470 date=1235016674]
damn dude I did my first one at 15k. Probably a little early I know, but I'd recommend a flush at least every 30k! I need to do my second one, been kind of lazy though
[/quote]

the owners manual doesnt even mention service on transmission fluid?!? i assumed it was 100k mile fluids, like 100k mile spark plugs.

1) Why doesnt the owners manual mention anything about transmission fluid changes?
2) Is Sears a good place to get a transmission flush? (i dont dare try to do it myself.)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=Silver3i link=topic=136697.msg2950604#msg2950604 date=1235166355]
the owners manual doesnt even mention service on transmission fluid?!? i assumed it was 100k mile fluids, like 100k mile spark plugs.

1) Why doesnt the owners manual mention anything about transmission fluid changes?
2) Is Sears a good place to get a transmission flush? (i dont dare try to do it myself.)
[/quote]

1. Probably so, when your transmission wears out when the car is out of warranty, you can pay the dealer to replace it.
2. I'd only trust this sort of work to a dealer. In the least, take it to a good local mechanic; quick-lube type places (Jiffy Lube, Valvoline, Sears, etc.) really should be avoided if you care at all about your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just hit 30k on my 2006 Mazda3 and they said I should get a tranny flush and I knew I should, but they quoted me $180 without tax. This is from my dealership.

Is that too expensive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=136697.msg2951064#msg2951064 date=1235178798]
yeah from the dealer it should cost about $100 and from an Indie Mech maybe around $75. Is that the only mazda dealer in your area?
[/quote]
Yea.. only Mazda dealer in my area. I guess I should check another place. Hawaii ftl haha.

Thanks!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am quite confused on this topic.

I just had my tranny fluid changed for the first time (57k miles). Last time I was in for an OC, my mechanic mentioned that the tran fluid was getting dark. He said it didn't look that bad, but might be good for a change. So, all I had them do was drain and refill.

When I had the 30k checked at the dealer, they said the fluid looked good and didn't need anything further. So, I have been riding on it since.

I have read from numerous sources that tran flushes are not good, as they flush the opposite way against any one way valves and such. They also tend to loosen up deposits, but more often than not they remain in the engine due to getting caught on said valves.

In short, what I have read is that car manufacturers, mostly across the board, do not recommend nor 'schedule' transmission flushes due to the above points. They only go so far as to recommend a drain and refill over time, which keeps the fluid relatively clean (if done in a consecutive manner, over the course of a couple OCs, all fluid will eventually be 'new').

Can anyone set me straight?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'm not fan of the shop tranny flush either. I drain and refill my ATF fluid at each OCI. My 2006 GT hatch had less then 12K miles on it when I did 3 back-to-back-to-back drain/refills. The OEM fluid looked like motor oil when drained, and I drive 65% freeway, 35% city, and I'm not a boy racer either.

After the 3 consecutive drains, my fluid looked brand new, and has stayed that way, because I do all of my own PM, and it gets 3.5 new qts every 7,500 miles. The tranny fluid is actually easier to drain then the motor oil is on this car. If you don't do your own PM, I wouldn't go much further then 20K miles, before I paid a shop to drain and refill the tranny.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my mazda dealer (rosenthal mazda in tysons corner) quoted me a price of $160 for a transmission flush :(

Any cheaper places in Northern Virginia?

·
Registered
26 Posts
This issue seems completely RIDICULOUS to me, why the heck isn't this item in the maintenance schedule??!!! Instead we all have our opinions of when this should be done, and even if it needs to be done, we shouldn't have to sit around debating this, Mazda should have this in the maint. schedule, I'm just can't believe this.

I have a 2005 Sport 2.0 with the manual 5spd, and I think the auto tranny's need a flush/fluid change more frequently, but I just don't know for sure, and there seems to be very little information to be found out there. Can anyone help with some facts?? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Strange, I checked with my dealer regarding the interval for my 5 spd manual, and he said the first tranny fluid change is scheduled for 60,000 km, and then 50,000 km after that. I don't understand why this is not straight forward and why it's not in the maintenance manual, but I'm not going to worry about it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts