Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light Rectangle Nature Water Font

Blacklab2020 was very kind and let me have has transaxle. I had some time so I went ahead and visualized the differnces between the the 5 Spd in my 3, the 6 spd in the 07-09 Mazdaspeed, and the MY2010 and beyond speed3.
I have a 2.5 in my car and it doesn't look like they have enough power to make it to 140 is I went up to 130.
Hope this helps y'all decide which trans is best for you.

Registered
The flaw in this nice theory chart is you are assuming that the published power rating by MAZDA are accurate. It has been proven that Mazda reports the way early US car manufactures did in the pre 70's cheating or fudging the numbers. There is a current certification that requires be met before any auto manufacture can publish "true" power reading which Mazda does not participate in. SAE J1349庐 Certified Power and torque certification
The next thing to consider is there is no information on many platforms that shows air resistance by way of the wind tunnel testing or even the theoretical wind tunnel resistance for any model MAZDA that I am aware of. So if that is not factored into the equation then you are missing a big ingredients in what it takes to achieve any speeds over 100 mph let alone pegging the needle on any MAZDA speedometer.
I had to order from PG gear a custom set of gear set to reach a solid 130MPH in one of my track cars. At 130MPG I am reach the set maximum RPM range of my engine. Just to understand in stock form this platform can reach speeds to 140+ but takes a while and long stretch of road to get to that speed. This would be the same in most any MAZDA after you first DYNO'd and got your true power output before deciding to change ant aspect of the final drive ration to achiev a safe top speed. lol Anyone can find a 10 mile stretch of flat road and eventually reach very high speeds, that is if you went into the ECU and raised or turn off the limiters.

As for the speedo there is a company called Black Cat Custom that may be able to reface your stock speedometer to a more satisfying visual display. I have had a couple of my speedo done to reflect a more realistic top speed value. Also I liked being able to match my factory display with aftermarket gauges.

Black Cat Custom Automotive - Gauge Faces for all makes and models of cars and trucks - LED Lighting Upgrades

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The flaw in this nice theory chart is you are assuming that the published power rating by MAZDA are accurate. It has been proven that Mazda reports the way early US car manufactures did in the pre 70's cheating or fudging the numbers. There is a current certification that requires be met before any auto manufacture can publish "true" power reading which Mazda does not participate in. SAE J1349庐 Certified Power and torque certification
The next thing to consider is there is no information on many platforms that shows air resistance by way of the wind tunnel testing or even the theoretical wind tunnel resistance for any model MAZDA that I am aware of. So if that is not factored into the equation then you are missing a big ingredients in what it takes to achieve any speeds over 100 mph let alone pegging the needle on any MAZDA speedometer.
I had to order from PG gear a custom set of gear set to reach a solid 130MPH in one of my track cars. At 130MPG I am reach the set maximum RPM range of my engine. Just to understand in stock form this platform can reach speeds to 140+ but takes a while and long stretch of road to get to that speed. This would be the same in most any MAZDA after you first DYNO'd and got your true power output before deciding to change ant aspect of the final drive ration to achiev a safe top speed. lol Anyone can find a 10 mile stretch of flat road and eventually reach very high speeds, that is if you went into the ECU and raised or turn off the limiters.

As for the speedo there is a company called Black Cat Custom that may be able to reface your stock speedometer to a more satisfying visual display. I have had a couple of my speedo done to reflect a more realistic top speed value. Also I liked being able to match my factory display with aftermarket gauges.

Black Cat Custom Automotive - Gauge Faces for all makes and models of cars and trucks - LED Lighting Upgrades
I used a drag calculator. Not the most accurate thing but accurate enough to get a good enough idea. I know my car will hit the speed limiter and feel like it has more to give. Same calulatore told me that 140 would require way more money than I'm willing to throw at this car. So that seems to align with your testing. But either way I fell the data will be helpful for any of us considering a trans swap.
For me it helped me decide that the older mazdaspeed trans is the one I want. Overall shorter gearing for better acceleration but overall taller gearing for highway cruising.

Registered
I used a drag calculator. Not the most accurate thing but accurate
I race NHRA professionally in S/G 9.90 Super Gas and YES those handheld calculators (specifically I mean MORORSO power speed calculator) are extremely accurate if you input the correct (not guessing) information.

Good luck and success with your project

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I like playing around with numbers and didn't mind doing the research to find what I needed. How much are the 2.5s putting down in stock trim?

Registered
Thanks. I like playing around with numbers and didn't mind doing the research to find what I needed. How much are the 2.5s putting down in stock trim?
I do as well

The 2.5 N/A about 2015-2020 is claimed on most all Mazda generated information having 186. We haven't found one yet did that? The highest one we DYNO'd was 158whp. Hmmm so oe would have to wonder where Mazda was measuring the HP? If it were complete engine and accessories it would be closer to 176 estimated by basic loss of parasitic drag of some of the components. Still not exactly the 186? I suppose if they measure straight engine at the crank only that missing 10hp would bring it to 186. hahahaha!
As for the new 2.5 gas turbo models I was sworn to secrecy NOT to divulge what they found. But I can say there is trickery in how they came up with their posted power numbers and we are waiting for a few to go DYNO theirs and post the findings. LOL My guess there will be some sad faces to say the least with what they get for numbers. . ha!

I look at data log like this at least once a week to make adjustments. This is a short 30 second run. After studying it and a couple other I determined that the spark plug heat range was too hot and a colder plug was needed. LOL
20160524 075902 - YouTube

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See
I do as well

The 2.5 N/A about 2015-2020 is claimed on most all Mazda generated information having 186. We haven't found one yet did that? The highest one we DYNO'd was 158whp. Hmmm so oe would have to wonder where Mazda was measuring the HP? If it were complete engine and accessories it would be closer to 176 estimated by basic loss of parasitic drag of some of the components. Still not exactly the 186? I suppose if they measure straight engine at the crank only that missing 10hp would bring it to 186. hahahaha!
As for the new 2.5 gas turbo models I was sworn to secrecy NOT to divulge what they found. But I can say there is trickery in how they came up with their posted power numbers and we are waiting for a few to go DYNO theirs and post the findings. LOL My guess there will be some sad faces to say the least with what they get for numbers. . ha!

I look at data log like this at least once a week to make adjustments. This is a short 30 second run. After studying it and a couple other I determined that the spark plug heat range was too hot and a colder plug was needed. LOL
20160524 075902 - YouTube
See all I saw were numbers. I have a 2010 2.5. they say 167, so I'm guess closer to 140 at the wheels in stock trim. I can leave with that. My first car was an automatic 1.6 liter protege so this is a huge upgrade. Eventually I will get tuned but want everything running right first.

Registered
The best advice is to get all your power engine parts installed and then get a ECU/EFI Calibration. And if yo pay less than 300 hundred for a first-time calibration you're not really getting much. Canned Tunes don't do much except fill the pocket of those that offer them. And make sure that whomever you choose does not LOCK your ECU.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah coming from motorcyces that's one thing customers didn't seem to get. A tune and a flash from the internet is not the same thing. Every engine, intake manifold, exhaust manifold are different enough that you need that specific car it's own tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts