Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was like 8 degrees today here in Michgan... when i got into my Speed3 today, the trans was sticky as hell for a long time until the car got warmed up... has anyone noticed that their trans is sticky and stiff to move in really cold weather?

Any solutions like changing trans fluid to something more fluid for cold weather conditions??

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yeah, the car feels a bit stiff in general at those temperatures (and I seem to get more rattles and ticks when it's really cold too).

But it's nothing compared to my '05 EVO VIII. That thing shifted like a Sherman tank when it was cold... and just ran like crap in general until it warmed up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill be glad when it warms up.. so everything is better.. from the trans being stick to the tires not getting grip and all that...

michigan sucks for the cold.. but atleast its not a swamp with hurricanes and bugs like florida or something like that :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ehhh.. we dotn get that much snow to make it worth putting on expensive tires.. if i lived far north near the boonies of canada, then yeah, i would do that.. i probably would have a SUV or something instead of this in that area.
Im near detroit... just that the snow and cold pavement dont work well with the bridgestone tires on there, thats all

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The boonies of Canada :lol:

Here in Toronto we maybe have a total of 4 days of snow covered roads before the plows get to it. 4 Wheel drive is SO overrated. :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71249.msg1252375#msg1252375 date=1173216307]
Ehhh.. we dotn get that much snow to make it worth putting on expensive tires.. if i lived far north near the boonies of canada, then yeah, i would do that.. i probably would have a SUV or something instead of this in that area.
Im near detroit... just that the snow and cold pavement dont work well with the bridgestone tires on there, thats all
[/quote]

You should be careful... it isn't only snow and ice that makes it dangerous. Those summer tires get hard in the cold weather and loose traction pretty easily. It can be dangerous even without snow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=Speed3me link=topic=71249.msg1252457#msg1252457 date=1173217962]
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71249.msg1252375#msg1252375 date=1173216307]
[/quote]

You should be careful... it isn't only snow and ice that makes it dangerous. Those summer tires get hard in the cold weather and loose traction pretty easily. It can be dangerous even without snow.
[/quote]

thats what i was talking about when i said ill be glad when it warms up... the streets here are dry and clean, just that its cold and the tires arent gripping very well... i heard something about 50 degrees next week.. see what happens then :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71249.msg1251907#msg1251907 date=1173203877]
It was like 8 degrees today here in Michgan... when i got into my Speed3 today, the trans was sticky as hell for a long time until the car got warmed up... has anyone noticed that their trans is sticky and stiff to move in really cold weather?

Any solutions like changing trans fluid to something more fluid for cold weather conditions??

[/quote]

It's -45C here today (and yesterday), I can tell you that shifting is a hell of a job in first and second. Since I changed my trans oil for Amsoil SVG, I have no difficulties in the other gears anymore. 1 and 2 are still hard, but much less. When it's cold like this I think it's more the friction between the linkages of the shifter than anything that causes the shifting to be hard. Once warmed up, it's smooth as butter again.

·
Registered
241 Posts

expensive tires? cheaper than than wrecking your car. its not just for snow and ice, its for cold weather. different compounds in performance tires.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, it is harder to shift in cold weather, but my BMW 325i was much worse. I put Redline MT90 in that and it helped a lot, and may do so with my MS3, but honestly it hasn't been all that bad (and it was -17 in Vermont this morning).

·
Registered
334 Posts
mine is at the dealer right now for this....

[quote author=plazma link=topic=71249.msg1251907#msg1251907 date=1173203877]

[/quote]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a FYI, but the transmission is sealed on the Mazdaspeed 3. Beyond that I don't know how difficult it is to change it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=Whitespy9 link=topic=71249.msg1254250#msg1254250 date=1173290649]
[/quote]

why is yours at the dealer? trans problems?

i would have someone change the trans fluid for me if i changed it... i know my dealer wont put full syn oil in the engine.. they will do a blend but not full syn

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was a bit tough to get it into gear when it was sitting in the cold for awhile. Service guy at the dealer was really cool and offered to check it out. I live so close to the dealer, I just figured why not.....

[quote author=plazma link=topic=71249.msg1254436#msg1254436 date=1173295609]
[quote author=Whitespy9 link=topic=71249.msg1254250#msg1254250 date=1173290649]
[/quote]

why is yours at the dealer? trans problems?

i would have someone change the trans fluid for me if i changed it... i know my dealer wont put full syn oil in the engine.. they will do a blend but not full syn
[/quote]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts