Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad times are upon me :(. My car started leaking oil yesterday morning. I got home from a Saturday morning exam @ school, driving in a light spirited fashion, and parked in the driveway. I came back out about 10-15 mins later, and as I backed out of the driveway, I noticed a small puddle of oil left on the driveway. Assuming it was an engine oil leak (I shouldn't have assumed), I went and headed off to some lunch party about 30 mins away.

Everything feels fine while I'm driving. Except as I get off the freeway and get into city streets, I feel the clutch engagement point is getting gradually higher and higher.

Fast forward to after the party a few hours later. We leave, and it is extremely difficult to get moving from a stop due to the ever changing clutch engagement point. I start thinking "it must be my SPEC clutch, they're racing clutches and not meant to last as long as stock". We get to the dealer, they lift it up, and find that it's not engine oil leaking, but that it's actually tranny oil. I personally go to see the car on the lift, and they point out a small rubber boot looking thing that appears to be the source of all our problems.

My car is still at the dealer. It's gonna cost $975 just to do the tear down and pinpoint the problem, and who knows how much more for the replacement parts afterwards.

I am picking the car up tomorrow afternoon after school and taking it to a shop that will (hopefully) charge way less than the dealer.

Any ideas as to what might cause this? I didn't hit anything on the way home before noticing the leak, and I wasn't driving insanely hard prior to the leak. I wonder if it could be my car just had a defective tranny long overdue for breakage, or if my SPEC clutch had something to do with it (installed over 50k miles ago). Or maybe my car is from a bad batch of 2004 models.

I want my car back already. I'm stuck driving my parents' '94 Land Cruiser :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
My J-pipe also rotted out and cost around the same to fix. Its an easy thing to look at, just need to take the tire off and undo the plastic on the inside of the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is the J-pipe also used in an MTX transmission? The OP has a 5-speed Manual tranny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nope its not, stupid me and I even read the multiple references to clutch. A smaller shop should be able to locate the problem way cheaper still. With the under cover off it should be fairly apparent where the leak is.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the car to a cheaper shop. Still don't know what the exact problem is though, as my mom is having the mechanic contact her for everything (as opposed to me getting the calls), so all she knows is that the "front of the transmission is leaking, and that it'll take him til about Thursday or Friday to fix it". Sigh... I guess I'll have to wait until he either calls her again or wait for the car to be finished.

But whatever it is, he did say it's definitely contributing towards the weird clutch feel.

(btw, thanks for the insight guys. But as someone else said, I have a 5spd MT :))

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=139052.msg3001390#msg3001390 date=1237363213]
Yikes, that sucks, Francis.
[/quote]Yeah, I want my car back. The Benz drives pretty smooth and has a lot more power than my car, but I don't feel very comfortable steering that thing through corners. I feel right at home when I'm going through long turns (and turns in general) with my 3 :)

I gave the mechanic a call today and they have a new front seal and "clutch set" on order. I'm assuming the "clutch set" includes the clutch plate, springs, bearing, etc. Apparently, the leak was originating from the front seal of my tranny. Also, the oil leaked all over my clutch, explaining the change in clutch feel. I guess enough tranny oil got on my clutch to the point where the clutch couldn't even grab anymore :(. Haven't heard anything about a new flywheel though, so I'm gonna assume they're just gonna clean it off and resurface it.

If all goes well, it should be ready by the end of the week. Any thoughts on what could've caused the front seal to fail on me?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=keisukeMamoru86 link=topic=139052.msg3002555#msg3002555 date=1237409960]
If all goes well, it should be ready by the end of the week. Any thoughts on what could've caused the front seal to fail on me?
[/quote]

Too much fluid might cause that, but I'm not sure. It would have to have been overfilled by a couple of quarts or more to foam up and blow a seal like that. Couldn't say for certain...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fudge, the shop called me a few minutes ago. Apparently, it's not the front seal that's the problem. One of the clutch alignment pins came loose and somehow blew a hole in the transmission.

Repairs are probably close to or above $2000 now :(. The mechanic said they had a used tranny on order. How used, I don't know, but as long as it has less than 80k miles worth I'm happy. I'm getting a new clutch set too. The mechanic said the EXEDY light flywheel I have in there shouldn't affect anything, and that the alignment pin came out, with a bad install as the probable cause.

I feel bad for my parents, since they're paying for this. But I'm also mad at myself for ever investing in the clutch install. I'm now back with the stock clutch, minus the money it cost to buy the SPEC clutch and the labor to install it.

I'm upset over the wasted money and the improper install that led to the alignment pin ever coming out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts