Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 3s with 24k miles with auto tranny and today i shifted from reverse into drive and then gave it gas to get out of someone's way in a parking lot. The tranny then went into neutral and would not shift out. after shutting the car off the reverse gear didnt work, it was neutral but after a minute or two it began to work like normal. While driving home my tranny would not shift into 3rd gear instead the engine would just rev like it was in neutral and then the car would coast to a complete stop. After shutting it off again for a minute or two it would drive but when going from 2nd to 3rd the engine would rev then slowly catch 3rd and drive normal. it only happens on the upshift and not the downshift. I can go from 3rd to 2nd no problem. I've never raced or abused the car in any way and it is completely stock. Any ideas? Its sitting at the dealer right now. I'm just wondering if its gonna need a new tranny or is it electrical.

· Registered
167 Posts
That's not nice, tranny's are people too.

· Registered
23,026 Posts
TX problems suck... i had my car for 3 days just signed the final paperwork and on the way home, transmission went out :klavergreg:

did any alert lights come on?

· Registered
3,163 Posts
Have you flushed your transmission fluid any time before 24k miles?

It's interesting that it worked when you let the car "rest" for a couple minutes.

Maybe the fluid was shot, or the valve bodies were F-ed... haha I use such great terminology.

Anyways, good to hear you're getting a new transmission...

· Registered
21 Posts
What exactly did the dealer have to replace and how much did it cost you?
I got a similar problem, but it happens in 1st gear. When i pull off in 'D' i don't catch 1st Gear, but i do catch it in 'M'

I live in a country where there aren't any Mazda 3 dealers and i have to import the parts myself ... hopin it will not cost a fortune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.