Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my trailer hitch installed yesterday. It looks really well done and I am very happy with the installation. It's even more subtle than I expected.

If you want this same hitch contact http://www.hitch-web.com/, they are the guys who custom made the hitch and can make another for a Mazda3. Obviously this should fit on any 5 Door but who knows if a Sedan is the same.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Looks great and barely noticeable!

Did the installer have to weld the hitch on the car or is it a simple bolt on? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the hitch?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welded, the only way to go, like 10x stronger than bolting.

It cost me $350 complete but that was a completely custom job, I'm guessing that if you called them today and wanted the same hitch it would be a bit cheaper.

Well according to the U.S. Owners Manual you are not supposed to tow at all. According to the UK And Australian Mazda sites the capacaty for a trailer without brakes is 550kg (~1300lbs), with trailer brakes it's over 2000lbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
got hitched

Thanks, raitch. You're the best.

I want a 2 inch receiver hitch to attach my bike rack. I like my old rear rack that I used with my former SUV much better than a roof rack.

I didn't know if I was going to be able to set it up. Thanks for the info & the pics.

dg

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Not certain on this, but restricted towing in the US may deal with DOT regulations which are different than Europe's DOT regulations.

Because of US DOT regulations Mz3 bumpers actually protrude farther out than bumpers on the rest of the world.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't see how that would be a factor. The DOT does have sertian requirements as far as bumpers and such, which doesn't preclude Mazda or anyone else from making a bumper that is legal everywhere

There are smaller cars out there with tow ratings, such as the Focus. AFAIK (from what the dealer told me) Mazda does not recommend towing with ANY of their cars except the MPV and Tribute, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If I towed a seadoo on it`s trailer for 3 years with a sentra that had drums at back instead of discs with no problem whatsoever, you`re fine with your 3.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks like a very neat installation Raitchison !!

Although with the Registration Plate down low in the Rear Bumper, if you are towing something then you probably wont be able to see the plate ????

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thinks that's pretty common for towed vehicles, I'd imaginge the rear plate is pretty hard to see on anything that's towing a trailer.

BTW, I just picked up my rental trailer this afternoon, driving it hime it wasn't much different, though that was only with a ~500lb empty trailer, then again the go-kart is only going to add another 100lbs or so.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
In california the trailer has its own, seperate plate. Another reason they require front plates on cars - that and so if they stop in front of your car, they can make you out. (no, not make out with you).

That looks pretty freakin' sweet. I may have to buy one just to have it on there! How did they connect the brake/turn lights?

You also mentioned specs in the UK for towing a trailer with brakes, does this support such a system?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you can see in the pic below the wiring connector the hitch place installed.

I needed to buy a $3 "adapter" from U-Haul to plug the trailer wiring to it. When I buy my trailer I will give it the same connector.

AFAIK the hitch place simply spliced into my turn signal & brake lights for the connector.

If you were to tow a trailer with brakes youd need a much more complicated set up with a brake controller and lines run from it's own circuit. http://www2.northerntool.com/product/7278/

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Cool. Thanks!

I still like it's discret nature. I know that I could use it on occassion, and think it'd be pretty cool.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've got a question, now that you've had more experience with your trailer.

When You make a start going up hill do you find the engine bogs down more, or if you push it are you more likely to wheel hop? The MZ3, esp. with RS-A tires, is finicky about getting in a certain power band to start, with out any extra weight.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While there are a decent number of hills in SoCal I very rarely find myself starting out from a stop on one.

In general the 2.3 has a lot of torque (a surprising amount) and even on moderate hills (5-6% grade) I don't have to downshift to 4th to maintain freeway speed.

At least with a ~650lb trailer it doesn't seem to be stresssing the engine at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
vancouver hitch

i'm in vancouver, not california, and i too need a hitch put in custom. e&h hitch is well known for custom and did my cavalier z24. they, however, are crappy at descreet, and they did an unprofessional wiring harness with electrical tape and stealing wiring from a turn signal in the trunk. i had to open the trunk and slam the door down to have the harness hanging out the back. there will be no door slam on my mazda. this install with the pictures is what i need in vancouver. any recommendations of a professional custom job in vancouver,b.c.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts