Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a set of MS3 18" wheels with near new Pirelli PZero Nero 215/35/ZR18's mounted. I've heard (through research in the "Show me your RX-8 Wheels" thread) that the ideal set to run would be 225/40/18...

Should I sell off the Pirelli's and pick up a set of the newer sizes? Will I miss that .5" of sidewall? I know the looks will suffer slightly, but should I be concerned or just keep them?

The net $ effect on the bank account should be nothing except the time needed to have the tires switched.

PS - I drive a 2006 3 Sedan GT (I guess it's the equiv of the S model in the states).

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
new tires in the 225/40/ZR18 size is going to increase the sidwall (and reduce gap), so you have me a little confused about "will I miss that .5"...."

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
a xxx/35/xxx tire will give you a harsh ride due to the small sidewall. A /40/ or a /45/ will give you a much better ride and fill out the wheel well better

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Are you sure the existing tires are not 215/45/18? No one in their right mind would mount a 35 series tire to a stock MS3 wheel, unless they're using it on a non-Mazda car. If I'm right, and they're not rubbing, that tire size is fine, I wouldn't bother swapping them out with 225/40 until they wear out and need to be replaced. But if they are indeed 35 series tires, definitely trade them for a 40 series.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It most definitely is 215/35/18 <sad face>... and I was referring to the sidewall difference between the 225/40/18 and 215/35/18 as being .5".

It really will be that much more harsh of a ride? Actually, reading some more threads it sure looks like it does. The only downside is having to trade to General Tire Exclaims (decent tire, almost as solid as the Pirelli's?). I'm calling up the tire place to se when I can get this sorted out and switched over. I'd prefer the extra sidewall and less fender gap in the end.

Thanks for your guys' opinions thus far.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Wow... at 215/35/18, the overall diameter of that wheel/tire combination is 1.18" smaller than the OEM wheel/tire combo of a normal 3. That's pretty significant. Since the MS3 wheels are only 7" wide, you're probably best off switching to a 215/40/18, not a 225/40/18 as it might be too wide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good call, I'll check out that size too. I know I'm running 215/50/17 winters right now, and I think the stocker 5 spokes are 7" wide?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Stock 5-spoke 17" wheels are only 6.5" wide. The 215 only works on them because they are 50 series... when you go down to a 40 series you don't really want to cram wider tires on like that, although you could. A 225/40 would still work on the MS3 wheels, it's just not recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.