Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering trading in my '04 3i for the new speed3. trying to find out how modifications affect the trade-in value? I haven't done much to my 3, TB bypass, TB ground and K&N CAI. The two TB ones can easily be undone, but when removing the resinator it was damaged so the K&N would have to remain on the car. anyone been through this?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
You wont get extra monies for mods

Most mods are frowned upon

Return to stock, sell whatever mods can be sold

and get the MS3

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll put it simple: Mods kill the value of your trade. Most people want to buy an unmolested car. Mods often mean the car has seen a hard life. A dealer has to find just the right person to buy a modded car, and the cars tends to sit. Therefore, mods = major price drop.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
[quote author=ruel24 link=topic=69943.msg1217782#msg1217782 date=1171937859]
I'll put it simple: Mods kill the value of your trade. Most people want to buy an unmolested car. Mods often mean the car has seen a hard life. A dealer has to find just the right person to buy a modded car, and the cars tends to sit. Therefore, mods = major price drop.
[/quote]

+10,739

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I think the best method is to sell the mod on the M3F sell forum and subtract about 20-30% off the price you got it.

It also helps if you include shipping in the price and the original packaging, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now i just have to talk my better half into this hair brain idea, thanks for the advise

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
does your car have the 2.3 or 2.0?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
if they use the same air box i have one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I worked at a dealership a great while ago, the used car manager sometimes wouldn't even consider a trade unless it was returned to stock. Mufflers and custom wheels were OK (as long as they weren't some obnoxious style rim) but obvious engine mods, especially those that affected emissions, were usually a no-no. Most dealers can't resell a car that has had its emissions equipment modified, even if it doesn't affect the emissions of the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts