Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel dudes (not to be confused with wheeldudes.net), I roasted 2 of my FD track wheels last weekend. I have a full set of 16" track tires and don't really want to buy new tires, so need some 16" track wheels. I don't care what they look like (I know that's heresy) - biggest factors are cheap and light. Suggestions?

· Registered
5,817 Posts
How wide? I have some 16x6.5's that I am anxious to get rid of, but FD's are 16x8 right?

· Registered
14,062 Posts
yeah always make sure they're the reinforced FD wheels.

I know of a number of people running Rota slipstreams for track wheels (16x8 and they're so cheap, and still made, so very easy to replace)

RPF1s come in a 16x8 and that's probably what I'll be going for.

Look into Kosei wheels, I haven't seen much out of them recently though so unsure if they're hard to find now or what, but those are very light and vvvvvery cheap wheels as well.

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How wide? I have some 16x6.5's that I am anxious to get rid of, but FD's are 16x8 right?
yeah, they're 8 but I'm only running 225's so 6.5's might work. What are they?

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah always make sure they're the reinforced FD wheels.

I know of a number of people running Rota slipstreams for track wheels (16x8 and they're so cheap, and still made, so very easy to replace)

RPF1s come in a 16x8 and that's probably what I'll be going for.

Look into Kosei wheels, I haven't seen much out of them recently though so unsure if they're hard to find now or what, but those are very light and vvvvvery cheap wheels as well.
I'd love to get rpf1's but not ready to mortgage the house for wheels! You're the 3rd person to mention Rota slipstreams - only 16.5 lbs. BTW, tireslack has Kosei's

· Registered
14,062 Posts
lol RPF1s aren't expensive at all, they're just over $200 a wheel for that size; going to ask a friend to get a lower price for me, no idea what that will be but I'm wanting to run them for daily wheels or something, unsure what yet.

The slipstreams aren't to bad, I wish they were lighter, but so far they seem to be more strong than super lightweight (for a rota, weird right?)

My Weds are 14.9lbs at a 17x8.5
But the price on those is quite a bit more.

What I don't understand is why TE37s are soooo expensive; thanks to wheel whores around the world making it the "goddess of wheels" they're like $700+ EACH, and they still aren't even impressively lightweight!

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol RPF1s aren't expensive at all, they're just over $200 a wheel for that size; going to ask a friend to get a lower price for me, no idea what that will be but I'm wanting to run them for daily wheels or something, unsure what yet.

The slipstreams aren't to bad, I wish they were lighter, but so far they seem to be more strong than super lightweight (for a rota, weird right?)

My Weds are 14.9lbs at a 17x8.5
But the price on those is quite a bit more.

What I don't understand is why TE37s are soooo expensive; thanks to wheel whores around the world making it the "goddess of wheels" they're like $700+ EACH, and they still aren't even impressively lightweight!
I guess expensive is relative! The rota's are only 16.5 lbs in 16" - sounds pretty reasonable to me. See if your friend will give you a better deal for 8!

I remember now why I was so intent on getting FD's - cause everyone in wheel/tire biz is a slime bag. I called tireshlock twice, got two different opinions (posed as fact) and both guys were assholes. Discount tire direct was like talking to a used car salesman.

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha that's why I let my friend who has a manager there as a friend talk; not me to the manager.

But yeah, wheel prices are for the most part quite excessive.

When do you need them by?
Next track day is May 4. Then again, after replacing wheels I'm not sure I can afford the event fees... but May 4 is the goal!

· Registered
721 Posts
For the record some other cars that have similar wheel sizes/fitments to look into are Lexus IS250 and 300 if you don't mind going to 17s... which I'd consider so you can fit larger brakes potentially, and just the fact that 16s are going the way of the 15s... selection will only get smaller since newer cars are coming with larger and larger wheels overall.

A cheap OEM solution might be Nissan 300ZX Z32 wheels... the twin turbo cars had 16x7.5 up front with +45 offset and rears had 16x8.5 rear with +35 offset(this one I'm not sure is how doable with our cars... that's for the fitment experts to say).

Not turbo cars had the 16x7.5 all around.

They have a 66mm hub bore, ours is 67.1mm... so taking the wheels to a machine shop for a VERY simple operation should be no problem to have done under $150. Since the lugs are 12x1.25 acorn type seating, you could honestly use a die grinder and open up the wheel hub enough to smoothly slide the wheel on, though I'm not as apt to recommend it for track use. I've done it plenty of times as others have on offroad vehicles, some of them taking more abuse than any track car will ever see(short of crashing:cheesy:).

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I've got a track day on May 5th, I'll get a price for ya though! No guarantees though :/, but I'll certainly ask!
Lol, I was kidding but go for it, you da man! BTW, I was hoping to get to one of the two lovely tracks down your way in the Atlanta area. Maybe later in the year?

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the record some other cars that have similar wheel sizes/fitments to look into are Lexus IS250 and 300 if you don't mind going to 17s... which I'd consider so you can fit larger brakes potentially, and just the fact that 16s are going the way of the 15s... selection will only get smaller since newer cars are coming with larger and larger wheels overall.

A cheap OEM solution might be Nissan 300ZX Z32 wheels... the twin turbo cars had 16x7.5 up front with +45 offset and rears had 16x8.5 rear with +35 offset(this one I'm not sure is how doable with our cars... that's for the fitment experts to say).

They have a 66mm hub bore, ours is 67.1mm... so taking the wheels to a machine shop for a VERY simple operation should be no problem to have done under $150. Since the lugs are 12x1.25 acorn type seating, you could honestly use a die grinder and open up the wheel hub enough to smoothly slide the wheel on, though I'm not as apt to recommend it for track use. I've done it plenty of times as others have on offroad vehicles, some of them taking more abuse than any track car will ever see(short of crashing:cheesy:).
I've looked at 300zx wheels on flea bay but didn't consider the Lexus wheels - good advice. I may hit a couple salvage yards this weekend, tho my mz3 deserves some nice shoes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
14,062 Posts
There are still openings for the 5th! Lol but I doubt you'd want two days in a row haha!

There will be another day at road atlanta in September and probably another at AMP in December, but I'm doing it for fun so I'm not sure of what all track days exist down here.

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are still openings for the 5th! Lol but I doubt you'd want two days in a row haha!

There will be another day at road atlanta in September and probably another at AMP in December, but I'm doing it for fun so I'm not sure of what all track days exist down here.
What do you mean, I almost always do 2 days, sometimes 3! Those once a month fixes have to last me a whole month!!

I think flatlander nailed it. Lexus wheels are heavy but 300zx are reasonable and there are tons of them on flea bay for not much money. I just may make that May weekend

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

According to http://wheelhelp.net/Lexus_Bolt_Patterns.htm, the Lexus models in the late 90's had 16" wheels ranging from 6.5 to 7.5, right bolt pattern and stud size, with 60.1 hub bore. I can't find weights for these anywhere but have heard they're heavy (in the late teens near 20lbs). I ask because there's a set of sc300 wheels locally that look good. Other than hub any reason these would be a problem?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.