Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering what are some good options just for track days (2006 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3). I live right next to WSIR and want to start some track days. But I also drive 70+ miles to work 4 days a week. I am looking for some suspension and brake parts that will help on track days but not too extreme as I commute to work. Thanks, and I love these forums!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I highly recommend doing a track day with your car stock, well it would be safer to at least change out the brake fluid with something better like Motul RBF600. That's exactly what I did at Texas World Speedway this past weekend. My car is virtually stock. Suspension is all stock, brakes have upgraded brake fluid, engine has Cosworth BSD and Corksport lower inserts. Wheels and tires on the other hand are upgraded to Enkei RPO2 18x7.5 and Kumho SPT 225/40-18. The way I figured it was that I'd get it out on the track and find the weekest link, which I did. I ruptured the passenger side engine mount. Buying a new one but I'm also having a stronger one custom made. The 3 really suprised those Porsche guys out there(the event was held by the Porsche club). The car really hustles through turns, even stock. Now, as I have to replace things such as brake pads I will be upgrading. Currently I'm fixing to order some Porterfield R-4Ss because my pads are getting worn and I want to be ready. I'll be adding springs and Konis as well down the road but really the suspension is very balanced. There is this thought that you need all these mods to go out on the track but in reality, you don't. Just go out there and have fun and when you do need to replace things, upgrade when you can. After all, learning how to drive the car properly is the best mod you can ever do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks j-so! I really will take that advice. I am thinking about just getting an extra set of stock wheels with better tires to switch out on track days. I will change out the fluid as well, and maybe k&n filter to start. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
No problem. Trust me you will have a blast. I have no intentions of making my car uncomfortable as well because I'm like you and drive 70+ miles a day to and from work. The 3 really suprised everyone out there, including myself.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
i agree with j-so. you dont need much, if any thing at all. really the weak point of any street car is the breaks. simple things like high quality brake fluid and more aggressive pads will go a long way in almost eliminating fade from the brakes. other than that, the car will do just fine on the track, now the only thing left is to teach your self how to drive on the track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=Oricle link=topic=69575.msg1211384#msg1211384 date=1171608476] now the only thing left is to teach your self how to drive on the track.
[/quote]

Exactly why I want to do track days! Plus I think it will be cooler to run on a track rather than going through cones. I just did the TB ground and going to do the adv timing in the morning. I had no idea there was so much cool stuff you could do to these cars. Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I looks like replacing the rear mount is almost a must as Ive read alot of people breaking them on trackdays, autocross, draging... Am I correct on this?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeah, I have the Corksport insert in my rear mount. I busted my upper pass. side mount, though. I think it was from wheel hop while accelerating for a braking exercise.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
[quote author=trbab032886 link=topic=69575.msg1211326#msg1211326 date=1171605853]
i wanna do a track day! where are the held at? how often? and how frequent?
[/quote]
In our area, the two best to check out are www.lsrpca.com , I've done two DEs with them, and also www.thedriversedge.net , I will be doing a DE with them on March 3-4. The closest ones right now are all being held at Texas World Speedway in College Station, mainly because MSR Houston jacked up their prices so everyone gave them the finger. There are usually at least one or two a month, check the websites for details. It's the best $275 you can spend on your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts