Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some searching and i couldnt find any up to date info. has anyone towed with a hatchback yet? if so what did you tow? Also who makes a kit if there is one made for our cars?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Any hitch company like Rigid Hitch should be able to bolt/weld something on. The only thing i'd worry about is clearances, since the rear bumper cover goes quite low in relation to the actual support/frame area. I seem to remember reading somewhere (the manual?) that it can haul up to 850 lbs in towing capacity. Not much, but all i'd ever tow was a small u-haul or maybe a jet ski.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I work at U-haul...We have a hitch for the 3, you'll be looking at about $240 for it installed. It actually looks quite nice on it, you can't see any of the frame, just the receiver sticking out. I have one on my sedan, but its the same part number for the hatch. I've towed a 4x8 trailer with 2 2.3 engines inside of it. Total weight was about 900 pounds. Worked fine for the one time I've towed with it so far.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
[quote author=clnmazda3 link=topic=67184.msg1154417#msg1154417 date=1169061411]
is it the 1 1/4" receiver? or the full size 2"
[/quote]

1 1/4". No one makes a Class 1 2" hitch that I'm aware of, and thats the biggest you can go on this car.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
^ What he said. I had a feeling that was about right.... i'll look later and see if I can get confirmation of the tow capacity on these things.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Alright, I'm sorry about asking such a noob question but I thought I remember reading in the owner's manual that this car is not recommended to be used at all for towing? It was in some sort of a caution box in the book.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Big Al link=topic=67184.msg1155003#msg1155003 date=1169081296]
Alright, I'm sorry about asking such a noob question but I thought I remember reading in the owner's manual that this car is not recommended to be used at all for towing? It was in some sort of a caution box in the book.
[/quote]

That is correct, Mazda says you're not allowed to tow with the 3 at all. In the US that is..... other countries are allowed to tow without warranty problems. As long as you're towing something reasonable you shouldn't have any problems with the car. Could the dealer still make trouble for you if they see the hitch? Of course they could, however you could just say you use it for your bike rack.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts

It's feasible. I'd avoid towing too much weight with an automatic. It's not near as bad with a manual.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=67184.msg1155010#msg1155010 date=1169081623]
[quote author=Big Al link=topic=67184.msg1155003#msg1155003 date=1169081296]
[/quote]

Or else just tell em you want it there for the appearance so you can hang some of those fake-ass car nads from it. Or a propeller or something.

That is correct, Mazda says you're not allowed to tow with the 3 at all. In the US that is..... other countries are allowed to tow without warranty problems. As long as you're towing something reasonable you shouldn't have any problems with the car. Could the dealer still make trouble for you if they see the hitch? Of course they could, however you could just say you use it for your bike rack.
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=67184.msg1155368#msg1155368 date=1169094159]

[/quote]

Looks like you are hauling a big ice cooler! :lol:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hey smokin....off topic but what kind of rims are those?

Edit: never mind. I saw one of your previous posts.

~Saint

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran a search on this forum on towing and found this thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=2183.0
It has lots of great pics of a 1 1/4" receiver on a Mazda3Sport.
Also, I found a post from June 20, 2004 by driven and he says:
"I have a Mazda3 Sport GT and installed a hitch on it when I purchased it. The hitch was made for the vehicle and was installed at the Mazda dealership.
I tow a 2003 Bombardier Sportster Jet boat. The total weight with the trailer is about 1700lbs & I have had no problems.
Even when pulling out of the boat launch on a wet surface, my wheels don't spin & the Mazda3 pulls the boat out of the water with little effort. "
Hope this helps...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts