Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a torque wrench for the oil change on my wife's Mazda 3. I know it's overkill, but my wife doesn't want me to do the filter conversion just yet, and I'm not going to take any chances with the torque specs on the filter or drain plug, so what is a reasonably priced torque wrench that I can TRUST for this. Craftsman doesn't get great reviews online, but I've heard quite a few people say they like them. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'm a Craftsman guy myself. I don't know the error % of a Craftsman torque wrench, but I bet it's pretty low.

Darryl

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just make sure you use the right specification, hehe. I've changed alot of oil and I just tighten it till "it's pretty damn tight".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, me too...........done it like that for years, then my wife got this Mazda 3 with the funky oil filter, and she deosn't want to do the conversion just yet(worried about the warranty), and then I read all about people following the torque specs and whatnot, so here I am lol.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
[quote author=Kyle Hadcock link=topic=72250.msg1274485#msg1274485 date=1174236673]
Just make sure you use the right specification, hehe. I've changed alot of oil and I just tighten it till "it's pretty damn tight".
[/quote]

seems like i do the same thing...can't be all that bad!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Can a single torque wrench be used for doing oil changes as well as for proper tightening of wheel lug nuts? I would like to start doing my own tire rotations and it would be nice if I just need to buy a single wrench.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have one made by Pittsburg tools that I use and have used for about 4 years now. I check the calibration about twice a year and it is always dead on. I think you can find them at Harbor Freight Tools for about $25.

·
Registered
797 Posts
been using crafstman here also! we have used the same wrench for almost 15 years. Get it calibrated every so often (not used every weekend). But has never broke!
Remember alot fo the time people will speak their mind on bad stuff or review it bad then people who are happy!

But no problems here! Only reason we are gettign another one is we need over 200 ft-lbs. (axle nuts).
But also rember when using a normal wrench on smaller settign you donnt always here or feel the click as easily! Is possible to over torque to!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts