Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are y'alls thoughts? I kinda liked the pilot. Obviously the Brits are better, but I was still fairly entertained. I really like the course, it looks like a lot of fun.

·
Moderator of donks
32,022 Posts
I will paste what I posted on at least 2 other sites where people were just completely ripping on it. :lol:

* The "presenters" - obviously not as good as TRTG (The Real Top Gear), but we knew this going in. They are all younger, with less experience being in front of a camera, and it shows
* The cinematography - once again not as good as TRTG, but I was actually pleasantly surprised here. They did not achieve the same "film-like" look as TRTG but I thought the shots, editing and music were pretty good
* The format - I don't think you can fault the show for copying TRTG, I mean it IS Top Gear (America) so it was expected going in that they would copy the format just like every other show we steal from the brits

All in all it was better than I was expecting.

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ That.

The chemistry will come with time. Jeremy, Hammond, and May weren't what they are today the first time they all appeared together either. I enjoyed the Cobra chase scene, they did a good job with it.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I saw the very end, will have to wait for the re-runs but I'll say this... I did not like the commentary during Stig's laps... It just wasn't, as epic as the British version.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
While the reasons for comparing it to the British version are apparent, I think it's dumb to do so. This show isn't replacing the original, it's just another entertaining show to choose from. People will no doubt complain endlessly about it, but let's face it, it's going to be better than 99% of the rest of the crap on TV.

·
Moderator of donks
32,022 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=182658.msg3865783#msg3865783 date=1290433617]
While the reasons for comparing it to the British version are apparent, I think it's dumb to do so. This show isn't replacing the original, it's just another entertaining show to choose from. People will no doubt complain endlessly about it, but let's face it, it's going to be better than 99% of the rest of the crap on TV.
[/quote]

Yes, that is what I keep saying to people. You're comparing a show that's been on for 15 seasons with old experienced TV personalities to the very first ep of a series with 3 guys who are young with little time in front of a camera. It was decent for what it was.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
it wasnt bad, but wasnt great...

i hope the chemistry comes around... im hoping tanner foust gets the axe at the end of this season. while the man can drive and he knows his stuff, hes to dry and just not funny and IMO most times just seems like a pompous ass... the other 2 guys seem to have some potential haha

ill watch it and reserve judgement on the show as a whole until after a full season but i guess its encouraging that it was better than i expected (i had REALLY low expectations for it haha)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
these guys have been in front of a camera before. Adam Ferrara is a comedian and has had comedy specials as well as movies and being a regular character on Rescue Me. Tanner Foust is a professional stunt driver who has hosted other shows such as Battle of the Supercars. The other guy, I don't recognize, so who knows. I think it does come down to chemistry between the three and just getting comfortable with the job.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
It won't last more than a season..there's no reason to watch it when British top gear is so much better. It's like watching the sopranos..then switching the channel to watch the shitty sopranos next. Why would you watch shitty sopranos when you could watch good sopranos?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=182658.msg3866208#msg3866208 date=1290457333]
It won't last more than a season..there's no reason to watch it when British top gear is so much better. It's like watching the sopranos..then switching the channel to watch the shitty sopranos next. Why would you watch shitty sopranos when you could watch good sopranos?
[/quote]

Because not everyone has access to BBC channel(s)?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=182658.msg3866208#msg3866208 date=1290457333]
[/quote]

Well, your argument implies that the two are mutually exclusive. Just because you watch the American version doesn't mean you can't also watch the British version. :dunno:

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think the biggest problem was that they are trying to be the real Top Gear too closely. Its just never going to happen. They need to break away a bit and do their own thing. I will say that I thought Ferrara was great, but the other two could be replaced. I feel like they got Foust just because they needed at least one person who can drive. Oh, and the lighting. The lighting was terrible. They started talking about the red wheels on the limited edition ACR, and I had no idea they were even red because they were in the shadows (I don't think it was just my TV. It hasn't had that problem before).

And I'm going to go ahead and bet the Stig is just Foust in a racing suit.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
[quote author=Naaman link=topic=182658.msg3866228#msg3866228 date=1290458490]
I think the biggest problem was that they are trying to be the real Top Gear too closely. Its just never going to happen. They need to break away a bit and do their own thing. I will say that I thought Ferrara was great, but the other two could be replaced. I feel like they got Foust just because they needed at least one person who can drive. Oh, and the lighting. The lighting was terrible. They started talking about the red wheels on the limited edition ACR, and I had no idea they were even red because they were in the shadows (I don't think it was just my TV. It hasn't had that problem before).

And I'm going to go ahead and bet the Stig is just Foust in a racing suit.
[/quote]

Exactly. You can watch both, of course. They are so close together and one of them sucks. Why watch the one that sucks?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=182658.msg3866231#msg3866231 date=1290458592]
Why watch the one that sucks?
[/quote]

Because it's still more entertaining than most other recent programming :lol:

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the Stig is definitely not Foust. Anyone else notice American Stig seems to have eaten a few too many burgers?

Also, BBC Top Gear is currently in it's off-season. There aren't any new episodes. It's nice to have something new and different to watch than just old re-runs. If you don't get BBC or are opposed to downloading it's the next best thing. I like it. Give it some time to grow and develop. Anyone else remember how much Top Gear sucked when they brought it back? It was boring and the production values were terrible. This show is already halfway there.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
[quote author=R3d Baron link=topic=182658.msg3866272#msg3866272 date=1290460064]
And the Stig is definitely not Foust. Anyone else notice American Stig seems to have eaten a few too many burgers?

[/quote]

It's an authentic American Stig, what did you expect?

1 - 20 of 353 Posts