Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few questions:

1) I assume most of you change your own oil, but if you ever take it somewhere, what do you tell them? To add another quart of oil? I know it sounds funny, but I try as much as I can to change my own, but there are times when I can't. I'm considering doing the spin-on conversion along with the BSD, after reading all those stories about the 2.3 filter shitting out, but don't want Firestone to screw me over.

2) So, with the spin-on conversion, do you use a 2.0 filter? And, again, if you take it somewhere, do you tell them it's a 2.0 and go from there?

If I have more questions, I'll post 'em up later, but I'm considering doing this soon, along with stiffening/replacing my motor mount, so any info would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
611 Posts
i don't have any real answers, but I have to propose the following thought:

If you are worried about needing to tell them, then i wouldn't let them do my oil. The reason i say this is pretty simple: you should never change oil based on a known amount- you should always do it by adding oil, then checking your dipstick. If your worried about it, go in and tell them "Hey, i've got a 2.3 liter engine using a 2.0 filter due to an adapter i've installed." That should pretty well take care of it for you.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, but keep in mind the BSD allows you to add another quart of oil, bringing the possible amount to ~5.5 qt, instead of 4.5.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
balance shaft....

and if you are worried about it as well, just plan on buying a couple extra quarts and add as needed if they don't top it off for some reason. with the added capacity, you aren't going to kill anything driving home down less than a quart of oil.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
The prices at most oil change places specifically say "up to 5 quarts......" so you'd likely end up having to top it off anyways.

Unless you're having it done at the dealer, I wouldn't have any qualms about saying that you've done a mod that increases the oil capacity, so could they please make sure that the oil level is normal before they hand you the keys.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, gotcha. And as for the filter, just tell them I switched over to the 2.0, and to use that one instead?

Also, I'm planning on switching to synthetic, but what if they put in a different type (brand) and I top it off with another? Say, for example, if they put in A, and I add Mobil 1 to top it off. Will it effect it at all?

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I'm not an authority on the subject, but I see no reason why mixing brands, or even types of oil would cause any harm. I mean, if they put in 5 quarts of synthetic, and you top it off with .5 quart of dino oil, the worst you've done is decrease the advantages of the synthetic by ~10% (.5 quarts into 5.5 quarts). In other words, there shouldn't be any problems.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hey guys... i'm really interested in this mod... and I went to cosworth's website... and they have the BSD kit for a 2.3L (its pretty much unspecified as to which 2.3L it is reffering). Wait, it does say FOCUS 2.3L Duratec motor. Is this the same kit people on this forum are using?? The only reason I ask is I don't want to order the wrong item. Also... it seemed that someone had said something about having to upgrade the oil filter?? Is that true as well? Or am i misreading? will the stock one work?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=66268.msg1136774#msg1136774 date=1168143694]
I'm not an authority on the subject, but I see no reason why mixing brands, or even types of oil would cause any harm. I mean, if they put in 5 quarts of synthetic, and you top it off with .5 quart of dino oil, the worst you've done is decrease the advantages of the synthetic by ~10% (.5 quarts into 5.5 quarts). In other words, there shouldn't be any problems.
[/quote]

I'll have to research into it, but I recall redline and mobil 1 synthetic actually act aggressively against each other.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=66268.msg1214696#msg1214696 date=1171777073]
[/quote]

I'll have to research into it, but I recall redline and mobil 1 synthetic actually act aggressively against each other.
[/quote]

Isn't Redline typically used as tranny oil? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I've only seen it used for that purpose

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=66268.msg1214698#msg1214698 date=1171777163]
[/quote]

[/quote]

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp

Isn't Redline typically used as tranny oil? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I've only seen it used for that purpose
[/quote]

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=66268.msg1214700#msg1214700 date=1171777230]
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=66268.msg1214698#msg1214698 date=1171777163]
[/quote]

[/quote]

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp

[/quote]
[/quote]

Emphasis on the 'correct me if I'm wrong' bit :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=66268.msg1136560#msg1136560 date=1168132885]

1) I assume most of you change your own oil, but if you ever take it somewhere, what do you tell them? To add another quart of oil? I know it sounds funny, but I try as much as I can to change my own, but there are times when I can't. I'm considering doing the spin-on conversion along with the BSD, after reading all those stories about the 2.3 filter shitting out, but don't want Firestone to screw me over.

2) So, with the spin-on conversion, do you use a 2.0 filter? And, again, if you take it somewhere, do you tell them it's a 2.0 and go from there?

If I have more questions, I'll post 'em up later, but I'm considering doing this soon, along with stiffening/replacing my motor mount, so any info would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Kyle
[/quote]

Hey man, there's a place on Thomasville Rd. just on the right after you veer on from Monroe Street. It's called Tommy T's its a oil change/quick lube kinda place. They take good care of me, synthetic in both of my 3's. They'll do what you need. I usually call ahead a day to make sure they hold a filter for mine, since I don't have the spin on adapter, but sounds like you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
heres a question... if i do a bsd on my car, bring it in for a regular scheduled oil change (trying to keep records and my warranty) will they say anything/refuse to do it/not put in enough oil??

also non related, can dealerships put synthetic in my car? do thay have any at the place?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=wheelindixie link=topic=66268.msg1214721#msg1214721 date=1171779317]
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=66268.msg1136560#msg1136560 date=1168132885]

Thanks,
Kyle
[/quote]

Hey man, there's a place on Thomasville Rd. just on the right after you veer on from Monroe Street. It's called Tommy T's its a oil change/quick lube kinda place. They take good care of me, synthetic in both of my 3's. They'll do what you need. I usually call ahead a day to make sure they hold a filter for mine, since I don't have the spin on adapter, but sounds like you don't have to worry about that.
[/quote]

Awesome, I'll have to check them out next time I'm due. What does a synthetic change run there?

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds about right. I'll PM ya when I'm due again, and get the name of that place again. They can get our filters, too? If so, that's a huge relief, I can remember waiting hours for places to go order and pick them up. Such a pain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts