Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's my situation. I need advice.

Probably going to purchase another 3 this week. This time however, the decision is split between a normal 2009 hatch GT trim or a 2009 speed3 GT trim, both brand new and with nearly every feature possible. It's going to be used as a daily commuter, so having an ATX would be less hassle but driving a stick isn't a problem.

Sticker price has the speed3 at $24995 and the normal hatch is about 2k less. What I what to know is, just how upgraded are the internals of the speed3? I'm not talking about the marketed features like the custom seats or unique bumper.

Stuff like, is the turbocharger built solid? Are all the performance internals built solid, like the motor mounts & exhaust? Am I going to run into problems later on like the inevitably doomed RX8 engines? Also, just how picky/touchy is the clutch on these cars?

Reliability and longevity is top priority, and I want to buy the best, but these are things I figured only you guys could answer being the number of experienced tuners around here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm curious to see how you think the Renesis in the RX-8 is doomed? It has a 100,000 mile warranty on them and that's about all anybody keeps a car for now-a-days anyway. Turbo seals have been a known issue but it's unclear if the 09's are free from it or not. The big question is if you plan to mod it or not? If it's staying stock or light bolt ons you will have no issue with reliability on either. I'd say spend the $2k extra for all the extra equipment you get. Although I wouldn't actually pay that much. You should be able to get one for less than the MSRP on the Standard 3 GT

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my concern isn't with the rx8 I just needed an example... But yeah it will stay completely stock.

So what is a reasonable price for the speed in your mind?

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=Tee link=topic=135027.msg2906029#msg2906029 date=1233589415]
Yeah my concern isn't with the rx8 I just needed an example... But yeah it will stay completely stock.

So what is a reasonable price for the speed in your mind?
[/quote]

By "Every available feature" what do you mean? Navi? Sirius? CWP? Also, what kind of price are you talking about - Out the door or car cost (minus tax\title\fees).

I bought my 2008.5 (same as an 09) CWP MS3 GT for ~25100 out the door. I do not have Navigation, but have since put in OEM Sirius.

·
Registered
14 Posts
But yeah it will stay completely stock.[/quote]

Famous last words :)

Seriously though, it depends on what factors you are basing your decision on and what your needs are.

Are you a penny pincher when it comes to saving money on gas?
Would you be bothered by the sportier suspension that comes with the speed3?
If you are in a colder climate, will the creaky sway bar bushings become an annoyance?
Are you ok with the speed3's louder than average exhaust note?
Are you positive that you want to run a 6-speed MT if doing a lot of stop-n-go?

I've owned my '09 CWP MS3 for about a month and a half now and I have no complaints. The clutch to me engages nicely, I enjoy the ride of the stock suspension, the exhaust note is nice to listen too, I don't mind the cold weather creaks and working on my car is a fun passtime. If I didn't like working on cars and did a lot of in-city driving I probably would have went with the Mazda3 instead of the speed3 because it would have been a better fit. I purchased the speed3 mainly for personal satisfaction, looks and as a platform to modify.

Stuff like, is the turbocharger built solid? Are all the performance internals built solid, like the motor mounts & exhaust? Am I going to run into problems later on like the inevitably doomed RX8 engines? Also, just how picky/touchy is the clutch on these cars?[/quote]

Turbo: like 1stGenRX7Addict said, it's still unclear if the 09's are plagued with this problem, but if you aren't modifying anything this should be covered under warranty so there's really no need to worry.

Internals: I've read opinions expressing claims that 350whp is about the limit. In your case there shouldn't be a need to worry about internals if you are staying stock.

Motor Mounts/Exhaust: I can't recall coming across any information regarding torn motor mounts on any 09 MS3's but I don't think any upgrades were made between the model years that were having the problems. It's something to look out for but seeing as how the car will stay stock and if anything should break, you should be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I should also add that while a properly maintained MS3 will be a reliable vehicle - you can't be shocked and/or suprised if something does break.

The MS3 is turbocharged and turbocharging is complex. You are adding more hardware as well as a number of other variables which increases the chance of failure. :(
IMO, if you really want a worry-free vehicle, I would go for the Mazda3 GT. :lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
For the money, the MS3 is hard to beat, inside and out. The fit and finish are very good, the performance is great, and it doesn't scream "ticket me!"

How is your commute? Bad roads? I think I would cringe if I had to drive my MS3 over some of the potholed roads around major cities.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try to compare the features between the MS3 Speed GT and MS3 Speed Sport. See if those additional features on the GT would matter vs MS speed Sport. Sport series is like 3k lesser than GT series, if you negotiated the price firmly with the salesman.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If that's the price difference, then I think it's a no brainer. I drove an 04 Mazda 3s GT for 3 years, then bought an 07 MS3. There couldn't be a more pronounced difference between cars that look relatively the same.

Obviously, performance is on a completely different level and when metered out over the course of a standard finance or lease, that $2K isn't really that big of a deal. Tertiary charges like insurance, gas and maintenance really aren't that much more then I noticed with my old 3 either.

For $2K more, I'd take the MS3 without question, if for no other reason than to avoid the feeling 6 months from now that you made the wrong choice.

·
Registered
708 Posts
agreed. go test drive one.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
uhh speed duh!... having an easy 12's bolt-on reliable sleeper, when that "big-bad" vette pulls up next to you the look on his face will be priceless when you make him look stupid as his g/f looks at you with her "o" face!<----= beautiful thing.!

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
[quote author=t147 link=topic=135027.msg2907977#msg2907977 date=1233633667]
uhh speed duh!... having an easy 12's bolt-on reliable sleeper, when that "big-bad" vette pulls up next to you the look on his face will be priceless when you make him look stupid as his g/f looks at you with her "o" face!<----= beautiful thing.!
[/quote]

i did this 2 a z06 earlier, was great fun.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
[quote author=CraZyItalian041 link=topic=135027.msg2907989#msg2907989 date=1233633812]
[quote author=t147 link=topic=135027.msg2907977#msg2907977 date=1233633667]
[/quote]

i did this 2 a z06 earlier, was great fun.
[/quote]

I have yet to find a Z06 to do it too but it was a base line with borla exhaust. and it was sooo much fun.

anywho you been good? I see you got the car back together congrits... I'll be up in May I'll have to hit you up.. sorry I thread jacked w/e

1 - 15 of 15 Posts