Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in New Orleans next week for a chemistry conference. Is there anything I should see/do while I am there? I will be quite limited in time, but will need to get away from all of the scientific talk once in a while. I will only have public transportation, so I will not be able to venture too far from the convention center area.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
^ very funny jersey boy

Where are you staying at? Downtown I assume?
Visit the French Quarter, try the food, listen to the music, and relax.
There's plenty of other stuff to do as well, but depends if you are of the age or not. :)
I live in New Orleans, pm me if you have any questions about the area.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

^^^i stay away from jersey for that reason and you can stay away from nola for whatever reason. no harm, no foul ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am staying at Hotel Le Cirque, which from what I gather is in the Arts district. Not too familiar with the area, I haven't been to NO in about 13 yrs. I was too young to enjoy the French Quarter the way it is meant to be.
Any particular establishments I should hit up? I am all about the cajun food...looking forward to sucking some heads of crawfish!
Thanks for the help PirateKitty. I will most likely have some questions.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Ooh the Arts District. There's the D-Day Museum and lots of Art Galleries in the area, if you're into that sort of thing.
Food, hmmm yes...gotta love the food. And you're just in time because it is crawfish season indeed.
Anything in particular you are looking forward to doing and/or seeing?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The D-Day museum sounds cool. I will be going to Normandy this fall, so I could get a start on some historical details. I could take or leave art galleries, not really my thing.
I would like to hang out at a jazz bar or something for a night. Preferably something not too crowded. I don't think I will have time for much else.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
new orleans can be a blast or it can be pure misery depending on where you "end up" and how much you decide to ingest (alcohol, that is). suzy will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plan is not to ingest "too much," but I hear those hurricanes can be pretty sneaky.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
hurricanes and hand grenades...drink in moderation or they will sneak up on you like a ninja. and steal your coordination...and your bowel control if you're a light weight ;)

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
[quote author=MicaGT link=topic=107730.msg2206151#msg2206151 date=1207278410]
hurricanes and hand grenades...drink in moderation or they will sneak up on you like a ninja. and steal your coordination...and your bowel control if you're a light weight ;)
[/quote]

You are definitely right about the hurricanes and hand grenades. Combined, they did quite a number to my bathroom floor, but thats another story. On a positive note, Pat O'Briens is awesome, just don't trip on the stairs like I did. xD

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
[quote author=mvl.MS3 link=topic=107730.msg2206071#msg2206071 date=1207276279]
The D-Day museum sounds cool. I will be going to Normandy this fall, so I could get a start on some historical details. I could take or leave art galleries, not really my thing.
I would like to hang out at a jazz bar or something for a night. Preferably something not too crowded. I don't think I will have time for much else.
[/quote]
Normandy is quite pretty, france in general really.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
New Orleans is such a beautiful city. I've had a couple nice rides on the St. Charles Street Car. You can visit Arboretum Park if you need to get a few moments of down time. It's really beautiful and gives you can opportunity to get away from some of the hustle of the tourist areas plus see some of the area.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote author=PirateKitty link=topic=107730.msg2207087#msg2207087 date=1207321343]
[quote author=MicaGT link=topic=107730.msg2206151#msg2206151 date=1207278410]
[/quote]

You are definitely right about the hurricanes and hand grenades. Combined, they did quite a number to my bathroom floor, but thats another story. On a positive note, Pat O'Briens is awesome, just don't trip on the stairs like I did. xD
[/quote]

I have been told to go to Pat O'Briens by several other people. Nice to know the locals think it is a great place. Just one thing....what is a hand grenade? Or are you going to leave me find out the hard way?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Looks like I will have plenty to keep me occupied.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
@ MVL.MS3 : Jazz clubs/bars to visit ---> The DBA, The Spotted Cat, Cafe Brazil
and sorry all the jazz clubs get crowded, no matter which one you go to.

[quote author=danielj link=topic=107730.msg2207113#msg2207113 date=1207322101]
New Orleans is such a beautiful city. I've had a couple nice rides on the St. Charles Street Car. You can visit Arboretum Park if you need to get a few moments of down time. It's really beautiful and gives you can opportunity to get away from some of the hustle of the tourist areas plus see some of the area.
[/quote]

Audubon*

[quote author=siscim23 link=topic=107730.msg2207142#msg2207142 date=1207322496]
Can't believe nobody has said it yet...

Take plenty of beads!
[/quote]

wtf? its not mardi gras anymore, wow.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=107730.msg2207257#msg2207257 date=1207324276]
:lol: Thanks for the correction! It's been a few years since I was there.
[/quote]
its okay, alot of the spelling and pronouncing here is hmmm UNIQUE. lol

[quote author=mvl.MS3 link=topic=107730.msg2207241#msg2207241 date=1207324045]
I have been told to go to Pat O'Briens by several other people. Nice to know the locals think it is a great place. Just one thing....what is a hand grenade? Or are you going to leave me find out the hard way?
[/quote]

Yeah Pats is cool, but theres plenty of good bars to hit up along Bourbon St and the Quarter. And the hand grenades are sold on practically every corner....so beware ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts