Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been browsing this forum for a while now and ended up finally joining. :D

I'm currently 15 and turning 16 in 4 months, so you know where I am going with this...
Yep I'm browsing for cars. I have been working for the last 8 months and have $5150 saved up. I am currently in South Florida but moving to North Georiga, and with that my parents have considered matching whatever I have saved for a car :D.

Ever since I first saw the 3 in concept as the new Protege (spelling?) I have had a obession with it, or most Mazda's for that fact :lol:, I have been dreaming of the 3 as my first car for years. My mom had a 91 RX-7 which we recently sold, but I got to learn stick on it before hand. My dad also had a 2 Gen RX-7 to race with in SCCA.

My question out of all this is, could I realisticly afford a used 3, and also afford the insurrance? Is it classified as a "sports car"? My backup idea is going with a 2 Gen RX-7 but finding one that has not been runed into the ground is difficult. Also having a 3 would be more reliable as a first car.

I guess anything is going to be better than the 02 dodge caravan I have been practicing driving on :lol:
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Your best bet is to remain under your parents insurance (you can't open your own policy since you're under age). Be sure to keep some funds for maintence, gas and so on. I would think the rx7 would cost more to maintain.

Weigh out all your options and how much everything will cost. Can you afford to pay for everything every month and still survive?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow quick reply!

Yea I would be under my parents policy. From what my mom experianced, her RX-7 required nothing other than basic mateniance. Mabey she had good luck, and it would suck if I got into a money pit attempting to keep the "Rex" running.

How are the 3's once they reach up the ladder in miles? I know few have ventured that far since the car is relatively new.

I need to get some real quotes for insurrance and such and see if I could pull it off.

Update- Forgot to ask, how is the Clutch in these cars? I know replacing it in a FWD car is a big hassle. How long do they usually last? I am set on having a stick.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
My 3 has 43k miles and very few maintence issues. A few warranty issues, but it's all covered.

The clutch feels great...a little worn in, but very good for its age. My old car had its original clutch and the car had 175k miles when I got rid of it - so just be gentle on the clutch and it'll last a long while.

Price out insurance costs and see what your budget can afford.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm 16, my insurance is $4K/year here in Los Angeles. A used 3 would actually be a smart way to go, I'd rather get the 3 than the FC (maybe get one down the road when you're making money and can afford any maint. issue).

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=FemGearHead link=topic=68706.msg1188913#msg1188913 date=1170731737]
$4000 a year? Why is it so high?
[/quote]

I'm 16, live in Los Angeles, and on my mom's policy (who has her share of speeding and moving violations). I guess that explains it.

If you can tell me otherwise, I'd try to convince her to change companies.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
saved up 5k? damn, props to u.

anyways, what does your income look like, assuming you (or your parents) will be making payments, cause you'll be hard pressed to pick up a good* 3 at 11k. If you parents help with payments then get it!

Personally, I would shoot for something a little older and reliable. Having money in your pocket and driving a beater beats being broke driving a 3 in my book. Lucky I drive a 3 and still have some money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe my parents will just match whatever I have made, and will not help on payments, which is going to suck with insurrance.

What do you sudgest I shoot for in the case I cant afford a 3? Protege? I'm trying to avoid a civic but it's starting to look like thats the path :(

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
*shrugs*
The "what should I buy thats cheap and affordable" question is a complicated one. Its easy for me to tell you a civic. But mainly, I say find a reliable dependibility study- then shop around with these things in mind: price, gas mileage, dependibility etc

The only proteges ive driven though has been nice, even if they are somewhat older than the 3. I would also aim for a manual btw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another option that has crossed my mind that i'm sure since this is a mazda forum, some will not like is the 98-2004 VW Jetta or Golf. It's in my price range and from what I heard they are decently built and reliable. Any feeback on these models, or anything else in my price-range? :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I hate sounding like VW hater, but a friend of mine has a jetta (wolfsburg) and it breaks a lot, plis I think jd power had VW very low for initial build quality, and to top it all off, I hate the way jettas driver

maybe you could aim at an '04 3s or i

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, my friend has a 00 Jetta and he hasnt had to touch it besides basic maintance. :?

Been busy lately and among the activites I got a chance to drive a 03 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-speed-stock. Man it's a cool car. The feel of the AWD is lively and the launch when on the gas is just cool feeling, can barley break the tires loose. Decent looking and just the build/feel of the car just seems good. After a SCCA road race I got the chance to do a lap and the thing feels like it's on rails, it sticks wherever I pointed it.

I have only drove a 3i sedan around a parking lot so I cant compare, but the Subaru is basicly in the same price range. Anyone know the reliability on the Impreza's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
[quote author=That-Guy link=topic=68706.msg1216582#msg1216582 date=1171902480]
Hmm, my friend has a 00 Jetta and he hasnt had to touch it besides basic maintance. :?

Been busy lately and among the activites I got a chance to drive a 03 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-speed-stock. Man it's a cool car. The feel of the AWD is lively and the launch when on the gas is just cool feeling, can barley break the tires loose. Decent looking and just the build/feel of the car just seems good. After a SCCA road race I got the chance to do a lap and the thing feels like it's on rails, it sticks wherever I pointed it.

I have only drove a 3i sedan around a parking lot so I cant compare, but the Subaru is basicly in the same price range. Anyone know the reliability on the Impreza's?

Thanks!
[/quote]

ya a good friends got a wrx, same year-ish
from what I know, they are very relaible and fun to drive

might get tired of the stone age interior on the 03 tho :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay after spending a day just aimlesly wandering around looking at cars with some friends, I am set in stone on the Mazda 3. Even though the car I tested was a salvagable canadian car with almost no clutch, and off-center steering, I felt a "connection" that I have not felt yet with any car in my price range :D.

My dad is a service manager at a Pontiac, GMC, Buick, and Saab dealer, and they occasionally get Mazda's in on the used car lot, so I am watching there inventory. I can get around $2800-3000 off a 10,000 purchase with the GM employee discount. This is the only way I can see myself affording a 3. If there is somewhere with reliable 3's that are cheaper I am all ear's.

Idea's on this? All are welcome!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't rush it - a car will eventually drift down to your price level. If you have to wait until you're 17 or later, you'll have more money, and the price will be lower, and the insurance cost will decline.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
[quote author=SaintNB link=topic=68706.msg1312207#msg1312207 date=1175715497]
Dont rush into buying a new car.
[/quote]

Better yet, don't rush into buying any car, new or used.

If your dad works at a dealership, do they visit auto auctions? He should be able to use his "dealership powers" to get a good deal on a 3 from an auto auction. I've seen it done quite a few times here in MD. My brother-in-law got a 2006 Yukon Denali for a mere $18K. That is a steal!!

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts