Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still believe that in the magazine track tests that the SRT4 will probally be faster given its monster tires, large brakes and more power etc. BUT looking at the build quality of the Caliber R/T ($27,000 Canadian) which is supposed to be the top of the line left me feeling sick to my stomach. I mean it was terrible

The wires in the engine bay were poorly wrapped in what looking like black duct tape rather than heatshrink, the shock mounts looked like they would start to rust immediately, the plastic bits were cheap, the interior materials looked to be lower quality than the plastics found on my Tonka toys growing up, the rails on the seats were exposed in addition to a whole bunch of undescribable little details.

The Mazdaspeed 3 on the other hand inside and out seemed like an oasis of build quality... is there an official fix for the motor mounts? The sales person said they would have a fix for the cold CEL's shortly, is that true?

Finally, for Canadian (Toronto, ON) MS3 owners... anyone willing if I pick up lunch or a coffee to talk me out for a spin before I put down a deposit in a month or two?

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Hey man, I don't what you had, but MY Tonka trucks had very high build quality, and they held up really well too. Give Dodge a break, I mean that a pretty lofty standard your holding them to.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ya not to mention dodge makes the best transmissions around (sarcasm)...ive read on multiple sites the SRT4 can only handle 300ft-lbs of torque on the stock tranny...and it starts out with 260!...way to go

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
My biggest complaint with Dodge is their exterior design. They can make strong cars (neon srt-4), strong trucks and decent interiors (when they want to). But that caliber from any angle looks horrible. And while that's just my opinion, it's shared by many unfortunately.
I'm still trying to figure out Dodge and where they're going with their designs. And that charger is not a charger, it's a four door sedan. IMO, they have yet to build one.

As for a test drive, you don't really need one, I could safely say the speed3 will impress you. AFAIK there's no official info from Mazda regarding the mounts. Seems like they're still in the wait-n-see mode.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
the only thing that will be its saving grace is its mitsubishi (evo) engine.
the rest of the car will fall apart around it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What size tires/wheels did the SRT-4 have??

I've been reading conflicting reports from the various 'Concept Previews' found the 'net, either 255/45s, 225/45s, and lastly 225/40s. Considering the wheels are reportedly 19x7.5s, I'm comfortably assuming they're 225s, as 255s would make a noticable difference in the pics floating around. Besides, 255s on a 7.5 width just wouldn't be appropriate on a factory vehicle.

Even more, if they are in fact 225s, they'd probably work fine with the larger wheel, but I wouldn't call it an absolute advantage over our stock wheel/tire combo right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
anything over 225's and the gas mileage would go down...considerably.
I rather buy a MS3 over a SRT-4. ANYDAY!
If not the MS3. It would be the Evo
Then the STi.

I know they're not the same price tag, but still, that would be my choice

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
hey CND_Xrs (the OP) Id give ya a ride if you happen to be down my way, hopefully you can find someone too hook you up. Im sure once you feel the car on the road you will finally get your mind to rest and join us as a mazda owner.
The tranny bolt issue is 100% fixed, it was never a weak part, it was just not tight enough from the factory and now it seems all cars built after december have been arriving with thread locker on the bolt and only a very few of us early builds (me included) have noticed and had to fix the problem. The CEL issue is something I have never dealt with, but it seems Mazda is currently working to make it right (they know and acknowledge its an issue).

Someone in Toronto step up and give my boy a ride, he's a safe enough person, you got my word on it. ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=70429.msg1230988#msg1230988 date=1172421250]
I drove one around here. They suck. The interior quality is terrible and so numb to be in. I wouldn't buy it...
[/quote]

Haha, haven't we already heard this story back a few years ago? And from the same Manufacturer, too?!

If one has the solid mindset that it's supposed to a superb vehicle in refinement and such, then you'll no dout be disappointed in every which way or form, no matter how nice the power is.

However, if one takes it for what it is, and perhaps that should be a car that'll put down impressive power and be a decent platform to begin modding from, then I'm sure it will not fail by any means. A car enthusiast will respect it for what it is, just as those with the original SRT-4 did. Nobody bought those to have a nice and comfy daily driver.

And before anyone says it, I'm not suggesting one should feel obligated to consider it as a purchase, for the sole reason of being a car enthusiast. That isn't my point. All I'm saying is, as I've mentioned before, give credit where credit is due, and take things in with an objective POV, rather than an emotionally driven, subjective mentality.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
let me start by saying i love my MS3 and would never buy an srt4 but...at the detroit auto show D.U.B had a caliber there that looked really good. i was suprised. :shock:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
The DUB edition should tack a good 2 seconds onto the 1/4 mile time... I think were safe.

---

Oh and Focused... The SRT-4 neons were certainly a thrill to drive. A close friend of mine has an 04 mopar stage something.. Very fast car that puts Evos in their place.. But when a WRX topples you in interior quality, youve got problems. So with the introduction of nicer interiors and higher end build quality, Dodge really has no excuse to not step up the quality of the car. Especially on an 07-08 vehicle.

Look at the VW GTI, its a class leader in luxury, while being a little sporty hatch. Mazdaspeed 3s interior is right up there in quality! The 2008 WRX is coming out with a focus on its interior, as they realized they lost sales to LESS performance oriented cars with more up to date interiors. My point is, in this day and age, you cant really skimp on anything in these sub-25k cars anymore. With the competition upping the quality and build levels, your only choice is to take a hit and compete.

Anyway, my impressions of the SRT-4 are that its no Mazdaspeed 3. The Mazdaspeed 3 is a poor mans M3. End of story.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=Focused link=topic=70429.msg1231046#msg1231046 date=1172423280]
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=70429.msg1230988#msg1230988 date=1172421250]
I drove one around here. They suck. The interior quality is terrible and so numb to be in. I wouldn't buy it...
[/quote]

Haha, haven't we already heard this story back a few years ago? And from the same Manufacturer, too?!

If one has the solid mindset that it's supposed to a superb vehicle in refinement and such, then you'll no dout be disappointed in every which way or form, no matter how nice the power is.

However, if one takes it for what it is, and perhaps that should be a car that'll put down impressive power and be a decent platform to begin modding from, then I'm sure it will not fail by any means. A car enthusiast will respect it for what it is, just as those with the original SRT-4 did. Nobody bought those to have a nice and comfy daily driver.

And before anyone says it, I'm not suggesting one should feel obligated to consider it as a purchase, for the sole reason of being a car enthusiast. That isn't my point. All I'm saying is, as I've mentioned before, give credit where credit is due, and take things in with an objective POV, rather than an emotionally driven, subjective mentality.

[/quote]

These comments were being made in order to compare the SRT-4 to the MS3, and as far as interior build quality goes, the SRT-4 falls short. The comments were very on topic :)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=70429.msg1231142#msg1231142 date=1172426449]
The DUB edition should tack a good 2 seconds onto the 1/4 mile time... I think were safe.
[/quote]

i wasnt saying it would make it faster, just that it looked alot better than a stock caliber.

its just another car that i can beat up on. :lol:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Oh, no I understood you perfectly...

I just find the whole Caliber a retarded concept. They got rid of their econo-box small car, and put in a small SUV in its place.

I dont know. There must be some Oxygen deficiency at their headquarters.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=Focused link=topic=70429.msg1230949#msg1230949 date=1172419061]
What size tires/wheels did the SRT-4 have??

I've been reading conflicting reports from the various 'Concept Previews' found the 'net, either 255/45s, 225/45s, and lastly 225/40s. Considering the wheels are reportedly 19x7.5s, I'm comfortably assuming they're 225s, as 255s would make a noticable difference in the pics floating around. Besides, 255s on a 7.5 width just wouldn't be appropriate on a factory vehicle.

Even more, if they are in fact 225s, they'd probably work fine with the larger wheel, but I wouldn't call it an absolute advantage over our stock wheel/tire combo right off the bat.
[/quote]

I will get the PDF link later when I am not on dial up (today/tomorrow) as it had preliminary specs of 255/55/R19... all I was saying is huge rubber is an excuse for not being able to get the chassis to work; and the SRT4 may have a grip advantage because of the massive rubber patch.

Nonetheless, I don't care if the SRT4 runs 12's stock, looking at how it was built I just couldn't live with that compared to the MS3. I want my next car to last a long time, I think the MS3 will... don't see the SRT4 doing anyhting other than post some good numbers before it starts falling apart.

Thinking about black mica now that it is available in Canada as my wife hates white...too bad as that is a hot colour

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=70429.msg1231254#msg1231254 date=1172430213]
I just find the whole Caliber a retarded concept. They got rid of their econo-box small car, and put in a small SUV in its place.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I find it humorous that they *actually* consider the Caliber to be the Neon's replacement. Baffles me.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=70429.msg1231254#msg1231254 date=1172430213]
Oh, no I understood you perfectly...

I dont know. There must be some Oxygen deficiency at their headquarters.
[/quote]

just as retarded as building your whole image around huge v-8 cars amid rising oil costs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=Unoriginalusername link=topic=70429.msg1231264#msg1231264 date=1172430517]
Thinking about black mica now that it is available in Canada as my wife hates white...too bad as that is a hot colour
[/quote]

If it's any consolation, the MS3 runs RICH. AS. HELL. If you got it in white, you'd have to clean the bumper every day to keep it from looking like a smokestack.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts