Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just read the Canadiandriver review myself. The Eagle RS-A is not considered to be a very good tire judging by the reviews. Check it out for yourself at http://www.tirerack.com

Upgrading the tires will be popular first mod. If I were to upgrade the GT tire, I would take a look at:
Continental ContiExtremeContact
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical (I think these were standard on the P5)

Some other choices would include:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - excellent tire but very expensive
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KSWS - I don't trust the brand
Yokohama AVS dB S2 - also don't trust the brand

Since I occasionally head up to the mountains in the snow, I cannot go with pure summer tires which kinda sucks. It will be interesting to see which tire choice future Mazda3 owners decide on.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I have Yoko Avid Touring on my PRO and they're great!

Dry: Zoom-Zoom-Zoom!
Wet: Zoom. Gotta be more careful since I don't have ABS and lockup is easy.
Snow: Zoom-Zoom! Pretty solid snow traction. I;m kinda impressed actually.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yea i got yoko's on my car too....and they are great!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Indeed, I also heard from one the guy at CanadianDriver that the stock tires on the GT would be Eagle RS-A. I already ordered my MZ3 GT and there is no way that I will put those tires.

Anyway I have to get winter tires for our Quebec winters.

Do someone knows if 15" rims would fit on the GT ? I know the base sedan model comes with 195-65-15 but the discs are smaller (278mm compare to the 300mm of the GT)

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the yoko's, I had a bad experience with the low-end AVID series with wet roads in the northwest. So I'm a little skeptical of the higher end non-summer yokos. I'm all ears if you have positive reviews as I like to keep my options open, both with the yokos and bf.

·
Registered
177 Posts
dinu01 said:
Rockinblue said:
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical (I think these were standard on the P5)
Those tires, just like the Potenzas RE92 wear out really quickly. You don't want those.
Yeah I agree the tires that the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is no good cuz it only had good traction while on dry roads. While on wet roads it is a different story very poor traction and almost no control while cornering turn etc.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You can check www.tirerack.com as a reference, but don't think it's 100% accurate, just like CR. I'm a fan of Yokos b.c they're priced reasonably and offer a good compromise b/w fun+comfort and have (usually) good thread wear, something the RE92 Potenzas did not have. The RE030 should be MUCH better, but be prepared to have a 2nd set of all-season tires for the winter not to ruin their thread too much. Or snow tires but I don't think it snows in VAN does it? Unless you go skiing, then you MUSt have 4 winter tires for that :)

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
It does snow sometimes, tho not regularly every year. Even if it snows, it's not that thick, it melts pretty fast.
And most people here are using all-season anyway.
So I guess I'm set with all-season tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For tires, I personally like the site www.1010tires.com for looking at wheels and tires. Lots and lots of customer reviews/feedback and its a local shop in BC :D .

Shervin

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had Eagle RS As on my Sunfire GT... they lasted a good 120000kms and worked pretty good in rain and snow. I now have Dunlop Sport A2s on my Sunfire and I actually find them worse than the Eagles in Rain. Haven't tried them in snow.

·
Registered
396 Posts
does anyone know what tires come with the GFX package, with the 17" rims???

1 - 20 of 47 Posts