Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I drive a 2008 Mazda3 hatch and the goodyear rs-a are really horrible, car has around 25k miles and they are pretty bald. I don't drive aggressively so I am a bit shocked since many people told me Good Year is one of the better companies when it comes to tires. So this week or the upcoming week I will be purchasing a new set of tires, my car is a daily that I use to commute to school and back. I need a quiet comfortable tire for all the seasons since I live in New York City.

I did my research on this forum and many people purchase Kumho Ecsta ASX, so that is one of the tires that I will be thinking about. But one of my buddies had that tire on his Mazda Protege and told me that it is a good tire, very quiet and comfortable but they wear out quite fast despite the rating of 420.

I am also researching these tires since my price is no more then 100 per tire:

Dunlop SP Sport Signature
Falken Ziex ZE-912

And finally in the future I might be getting a set of Rays G-Games (17 x 7.5 ), is it ok to put tires that are made for 17 x 7 on that rim?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Being at the end of the road with my Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's, I wouldn't recommend them. Sure, they are cheap and they have good dry grip, BUT they get real noisy, the tread wears fast, and they are HORRIBLE in any kind of snow. If you are in NYC, don't get the Kuhmo's. Honestly, I'd look into getting a summer and winter set of wheels & tires. If you want an all-season though, the Dunlop SP Sport Sig's look like they'd fit the bill for ya.

Me? I'm probably going to shell out the dough for the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I have the Falken 912s. They handle nicely for an all-season high performance tire and they seem to be holding up well life-wise with my aggressive driving. But they are noisy with only less than 10k on them. I am not looking forward to when they get really low on tread. For the price they are okay, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Falken Ziex ZE-912. 40,000 mile warranty included.

SKIP the ASX. They're noisy and have poor wet traction.

If you're going for a 7.5, 205 is fine but you want to step-up to a bigger size, 215-50-17 has a bigger selection and cheaper prices as well as better handling.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that information. Just priced out Falken Ziex ZE-912 in 215/50/17 on discount tire and it came out to 372 shipped. Not bad. So that tire you guys/gals would recommend for everyday normal point A to point B driving. I don't corner hard and hardly ever drive aggressively.

Also I want a tire that wont wear out too quickly so the tread rating is important to me, the Falken's are rated at 360AA. While Dunlop SP are rated at 460. Is that big of a difference something to worry about?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
If you're wanting a high-mileage tire, I would go with the Dunlops. I would go with a less aggressive tire in general if your needs are to last longer than higher performance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i do want a tire with the best tread wear but since I am a college student I am on a budget lol... Yes i know I am being very difficult but I can spend 100 dollars at most per tire.

I think I will give the Falken's a shot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts