Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Ok here is my situation. I have 17×6.5" rims on a 2013 mazda 3 sky. I think they might be originally Mazda 5 rims based on the pattern.
I bought the car used 5 years ago and they had brand new goodyear eagle sport all seasons 215 45 17 on them. Thought the car felt great. handled great. Ran them at about 33psi.

I unfortunately had a blowout last week
so i needed to replace my tires. Decided to try Michelin pilot sport as 4..same size 215 45 17 and set them to 34psi

Problem is these things feel like mush. Like terrible. Almost nervous inducing...
I know the original tires were 205 55 16 and the door says to set those to 36.

Wouldn't 215 45 17 tires run at a bit lower pressure?? Like i said, the eagles were always set at 33 or 34 and they felt great.

Is there something I'm missing? Should the new Michelin be set much higher?? I'm kind of at a loss

Thanks so much for your help.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
First off, those tires can't safely be installed on a 6.5" wide wheel. Their rim width range for those tires and that size in general, is 7.00"-8.00". You need a 205/50r17 tire. Second, your pressure is most likely too low. If the load number on the new tires is the same as the OEM tires, then generally you should run what the door jam says. If it isn't, then you have to do a load calculation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts