Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have this option? do you think we can swap out the wheels? becuz the dealer told me they were attached to the rims...so if you swap them out, the tmps wont work :(....hope the aftermarket comes out with rims that are compatible with this soon!

·
Registered
168 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
anyone have this option? do you think we can swap out the wheels? becuz the dealer told me they were attached to the rims...so if you swap them out, the tmps wont work :(....hope the aftermarket comes out with rims that are compatible with this soon!
Hey funkyfreshmonke,

I have that option installed on my vehicle. You can swap out the wheels and tires if need be. However, when swapping out the entire wheel you will need the dealership to reinstall the sensors onto each new wheel for the TMPS to function correctly, otherwise the system will constantly beep at you. If you were swapping out just tires, then its a little less complicated to correct. Refer to your manual about changing tires yourself or through a third party. If you go through the dealership, they will adjust it for you.

I don't believe after market wheels will correct this. Each wheel has an individual sensor that sends a radio signal to the main computer unit on the car and keep things up to measures. I believe the senors are unique to each vehicle, and therefore cannot be duplicated by aftermarket products....not sure though.

Hope this helps.
Spencer

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks!! yea...but i bet the dealer would charge a hand and a foot to adjust that...lol...but yea that helps a lot; btw are u going to change the rims on your baby?

·
Registered
168 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
cool thanks!! yea...but i bet the dealer would charge a hand and a foot to adjust that...lol...but yea that helps a lot; btw are u going to change the rims on your baby?
I believe the dealer will charge for 2 arms and 2 legs...you'll have to become "BOB"...LOL.

Actually, I love my rims and plan on keeping them. The first thing that most people notice on my car are the rims.

Spencer

·
Registered
60 Posts
the dealer will charge your HEAD for this mod hahahah

but yah it is a hassle for mod but it is a good safety feature........think about it, how often do you check ur tire pressure??? once a year maybe????

definately a concern to voice out

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope there is a way to simply just deactivate the TPMS instead of having to pay the dealer to swap the sensors to aftermarket wheels. While it is a good safety feature, its just not worth paying for it "twice", since I will almost certainly replace the factory wheels. I would avoid the whole package if I could but its required to get the xenon lights.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd like to know the acceptable range where the TPMS will not activate. Does the system go off if the tires are over-inflated? I autocross and tire pressures I set can vary between 24psi and 50 psi, depending on tires. If I get a M3 with TPMS I don't want to have to listen to it freaking out at events. Is there just a fuse that can be pulled to disable it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
autoXsheep... I do know that it will go off if the tires are over-inflated, however... I don't know of a way to disable the feature. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'll let you know on the overinflated annoyance factor after I race this Sunday.

As far as disabling the TPMS, I wonder if there is a fuse or something simple like that that could do the trick.

I wonder who would get the TPMS if it weren't tied to Xenon headlamps? I'm guessing not many.

·
Registered
63 Posts
raitchison if you could please let us know how the car's TPMS did at the event that would be grand... update us plz!. thnx

·
Registered
773 Posts
Actually, TPMS are Federally Mandated by 2006 I think. That's on all cars. Mazda was just thinking ahead because the Mz3 won't be redesigned or refreshed by then, while the Mz6 will be refreshed or redone by then. Thus, pretty quick here, everybody will have TPMS on their new cars, just to look special, even though they are required to in less than two years.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I agree that not many would buy TPMS if it wasn't tied to the Xenon. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Mazda3 without ABS and the side/curtain airbags. With a growing family, I am really into safety. But TPMS has very limited value to me. It doesn't really prevent anything. The tire will still go flat. Every time I get to my car I take a quick look around to make sure everything is okay, including the tires. So I guess the only way TPMS can help me is if the tires go flat while driving and I don't notice it - which is highly unlikely.

Anyway, I don't mind having it, but I wouldn't have bought it if it was a dealer installed accessory.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Interesting, at the autocross with the front tires jacked up to 50psi the TPMS warning light was on steady but there was no blinking and no chime. Pretty easy to ignore all in all.

When I lowered the fronts down to 40 after I was done the light stayed on for a few minutes but turned off after a drove for a while.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oops sorry raitchison, didnt see that u posted a response to this already, haha i had ask about it in ure new autocross thread...but man i wish we could change out the rims and not worry about having that light on....call me anal but i hate when there is something out of place...or a light is on when its not supposed to be...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I'm not sure just wondering, isn't the sensors a radio controlled box that is attached to the valve stem? From the pictures I saw thats what it looks like and that any tire dealler could change them out. I think thats why we have those funky valve stems. You guys might want to check it out.

AzMz3

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just head to the TireRack's website, and you can see how these systems work. They've had em on the site for quite a while now.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for hte link kirk!

·
Registered
118 Posts
what range of pressures are acceptable for the TPMS light to not stay on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: tire monitoring pressure system? and winter rims

The TPMS is going to be a real pain for anyone who wants to use snow tires on rims during the winter. It looks like you will need four sensors for your winter rims in order to swap summer for winter rubber. This means buying four sensors and installing them in order to keep the light on the dash from being lit.

My guess is that if your try to disable the dash light the car's computer will go berserk. Sometimes I like the good old days with carburetors and no computers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have winter tires/rims. The light flashes, but it's not until I've driven for about 10 minutes or so. I just ignore it; it's not really invasive at all. Getting all new sensors would seem pretty extreme to solve a problem which really isn't a problem.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts