Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 hatch has nearly 200K on it, and I'm in need of new tires. Have PureContacts on there now. Before that, I was running ExtremeContact DWS. Both got me 50K. I don't want to spend $500+ again. Any recommendations on a good, quiet, cheaper set of tires? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Get some Pirelli P7's from Costco/Sam's/BJ's. You can get a set for $500 installed when you catch a B3G1F. I had a set and got about 35,000 out of them. That's honestly really not that bad.

I bought a set of Michelin Premier A/S this time, and while yes, the Michelins do ride better than the Pirelli's, you won't find them for your $500 limit. I spent $730 on this set installed, which was the price from a personal friend who works at a tire store. I plan on keeping my car until it dies and is carted off on the back of a rollback, which is why I bit the bullet and got the Michelins.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Try pricing tires from Tire Rack and see what their (and customer) recommendations are. Tire Rack is really a great place to buy tires ranging from cheap to pricey. I love their tire testing reports.

I got some Pirelli Cinturato P7s for my daughter's Mazda 3 for $435. I think that may have been with a $60 rebate special offer. If you have a Tire Rack distribution center near you (for me that's Denver) you can have the tires shipped for free and pick them up there yourself. Otherwise they charge you shipping costs, but then sometimes they don't charge tax if they ship them. Your experience will vary.

My son's Mazda 3 had two new Falcon Pro G4 A/S on them when we got the car, so we bought two more at $123 each from Discount tire. They seem good as well.

I hate skimping on tires. Get the best you can. For my Explorer I just replaced a set of Conti CrossContact LX20s (53k miles!) with a set of Michelin Premier LTX. Neither are cheap, but both are good year-round tires even in Colorado snow.

My other son just bought himself a used Ford Focus and oddly enough it came with two new tires...that I couldn't match! So we got him a pair of Michelin Premier A/S for $279. When any of my kids buy their first car we give them a gift of new tires and I make a point of telling them about the importance of high quality tires.

What's up with tire installation costs recently??? Everywhere I call they are way more expensive than last year. Walmart, Big-O, other places too.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
I hate skimping on tires. Get the best you can....
Agreed; even with several hundred thousand miles on a car, if I plan on having it for more than a month or two, the benefit of saving a couple of hundred dollars just ain't worth it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
They came with the car I would never buy fuel economy tires. But in all honesty they're surprisingly trippy in the wet and in the dry. I was running tires that were supposed to be sticker when I had my protege, they weren't the best, newest, cheapest, or most expensive. But the tire technology and suspension design had improve so much that even with fuel saving tires my car can take turns faster and brake harder. I think they're the w speed rating ones. As I have always advised my customers and friends regarding tire choice whether on a motorcycle or car the first thing you need to decide is what do you need from the tire. Do you really drive in a way that getting the newest pilot cup tire make sense? Are you really going to buy snow tires? How much driving do you do (no point of buying a 80k mile tire if you drive 7k miles a year and dry rot will take them both out at the same time? Is a quiet tire more important than one with better road feel? How much rain do you get?
Write down the answers to those questions. Then write down what you want out af a tire, rank those things (is a quiet smooth ride more important than hydroplaning resistance). After you've done that go to tire rack and find yourself are tire that best meets your qualifications. Before you buy them call your mechanic and ask if he can match that price because shopping local is important especially when it comes to cars.
Sadly not everyone has money and all they can get is one that's round and black in that case the fuzions are a good choice. I would prefer you drive the best cheap tire then the best Michelin that's down to the chords. There's no such thing as the best tire only the best tire for your needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts