Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California Window Tint Law
California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER BLUE are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

Thats the CA standars for tinting. I am new to tinting so I barely understand what it is saying. I think its saying I can get 30% upfront and anything I want in back? Also when tinting does it look better to say do 30% all around to match or what would be a good combination for front and back and stay legal. Any pics would help.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Tint % is typically measured in terms of opacity, so what it's actually saying is that you pretty much can't put any tint on the front windows. 70% of light needs to get through. You can put on 70% tint to reduce UV penetration, but it will barely look darker than stock. The rest of the windows, go nuts.

I have darkest available on all windows except front, which I didn't bother putting any tint on, to stay perfectly legal. I don't mind the look, but it was mainly for function over form.

A lot of people get ~ 35% on all their windows. Many get lucky and never get hassled about it, but a lot of people have gotten tickets for it here, too. It's up to you whether you want to risk it, and can afford fix-it tickets every now and then.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Nice chime in Ryan. It boils down to as dark as you want on your rear windows, but the front 3 (windshield, passenger and driver) really shouldn't be tinted at all (unless like Ryan said, 70%).

I love how the verbiage in the write up (which looks like it came from the DMV?) wants to make you lose your mind.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have 15% on all rear windows and 50% on the front two windows. Be warned that even though the 50% is barely darker than stock, unless it's a bright sunny day, the tint looks like 30% or 20% at an angle. Granted I got Llumar tint which is supposedly more metallic than others and results vary among brands. I don't think the cops will hassle me though since as soon as you're right next to me, you can see right in and right out the other window. :lol:

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i have something like 54/28.
many cops may cut you some slack for having lighter fronts (even though they are still too dark).
a guy lives in fountain valley got nailed for tint twice in a few months. i think he was 30% all around.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That's what I've noticed around here too. If you're fronts are lighter than your rears and you can still be easily seen inside the car (i.e. they can see if your seatbelt is on) then the cops don't really care. The only people I've ever seen pulled over for tint was a Tacoma double cab with limo all around (how the hell do you see out at night!?) and a Protege with about 20% all around.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the last thing I need is a stupid ticket over tinting. I will probably stay legal and do the 70 upfront and probably 30 in the back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive got 20% in the rear and 35% up front I drive constantly between Southern California (Anaheim area) and the central Coast (Pismo beach) and I have not been hassled at all. Asked a police chief in one of the central coast cities and he said I wont get hassled as long as I'm not being stupid and the cops can still see in the front windows. So since I never do anything illegal on public streets I haven't been hassled.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlindJudgement your comment made me remember that I got a friend thats dating an OC Sheriff I should ask him what I can and cant do for tinting

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was offered one in Palm Springs where I bought the car. They said they were the only ones who offered it. So it exists but dont know wher to get it

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just talked to my buddy who is a OC sheriff. he says as long as its not obvious that you have a really dark tint you wont get hassled. so I will probably do 50 upfront and 35 in the rear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts