Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I just read that Colorado legal % all around is 27%.

Does anyone have pics of different %'s though on their Mazda 3? I have an '06 Sedan, 2.3L if it helps any.

I really want a dark tint, but the parents may crack down if I go to illegal here... I want 5% too...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I believe 27% is correct here in CO. I've wanted to go darker as well but looking at the pics on here 27% is pretty damn dark... I might do 27 on front two windows 20 on back two and 35 on the hatch.. figure why not change it up a lil... Dunno though I doubt i'll go with that combo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZOOM3, what kind of tint is that? It looks awesome. It doesnt seem like most tints though.... yours reflects the outside, thats what I want.

Originally I was wanting 27% all around, because I think its the legal limit in CO, but what are you using?

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
you gotta click my sig to go to my car domain page and find that out :p j/k

18% llumar platinum plus tint

all the major tint companies will have different films....that come in different %'s
better film = more expensive

for llumar the platinum plus is the more reflective, mirror like, tint....stealth is black and is less reflective. I was told Centaur has a blue hue to it and above that (in the chart) you're looking at cheaper lower quality films.

The best thing to do is find some local shops and try to get some samples of what they recommend and the brands they work with. One other note, mine are illegal as well, 35% would have been too but that's what my installer tried to get me to go with. I'm glad I didn't....I'm just saying it sounds like you know what you're looking for so don't let other peoples worries change your mind!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's pretty difficult to compare tint % through pictures, since the same tint job can look very different under different lighting conditions. The angle at which the picture is taken makes a big difference too. In general, tint looks lighter when the picture is taken from an angle towards the front of the car, since more light is coming in through the windshield. Here's some pics to show what I mean. I have Solargard Quantum tint on the car; it's a full metallic tint which is usually more reflective than dyed or hybrid films. I have 37% on the front windows and 20% everywhere else.

You can see how in the 1st pic even the rear windows don't look too dark because the light is coming in from the front, while in the 2nd pic, taken with the light coming from behind, you can't see into the car because of the reflectiveness of the tint. The 3rd pic shows the difference in reflectiveness between the 37% and the 20% Quantum film.

I second ZOOM 3's advice to go visit some shops and see the different kinds of tint in person; that way you can move around and see how they look from different angles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put [glow=blue,2,300]15%[/glow] on My Blue Moon... yes... hummm... dark...[glow=purple,2,300]very dark[/glow]!!
Yes... illegal... but what the [glow=yellow,2,300]Hell[/glow]... you only live ONCE :klavergreg:

Before I tinited my windows... I checked out cars, SUVs, Hummers... etc... all over town.
15% in everywhere here!! So... I did it!! Yes... uh huh...
... and My Blue Moon is [glow=yellow,2,300]TOTALLY HOT![/glow] 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have had my rear windows done in 18% since I got the car. Yesterday I added 38% to the front sides and 18% on the windshield visor strip. I wish the fronts were darker but local law is zero on the front and the shop policy was no darker than 38% so I took what I could get.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
[quote author=Blue Moon link=topic=72259.msg1288594#msg1288594 date=1174770290]
I put [glow=blue,2,300]15%[/glow] on My Blue Moon... yes... hummm... dark...[glow=purple,2,300]very dark[/glow]!!
Yes... illegal... but what the [glow=yellow,2,300]Hell[/glow]... you only live ONCE :klavergreg:

Before I tinited my windows... I checked out cars, SUVs, Hummers... etc... all over town.
[/quote]

Nice write up!!!

BTW to everyone, just got my car tinted with dark in the rear and medium in the front, IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!! LIKE A DIFFERENT CAR!!!!

I got mine tinted with 35% front and 15% back and rears. Awesome looking too. I got it for $180.00, but gave the guy $250.00 for a Sunday job with two people and lifetime warranty. Consider it a tip!!!

They do mostly movie studio cars and shows like Reno 911. Awesome shop too, Llumar ATP35 High-Performance tint.

·
Registered
568 Posts
ehhh...i love tint. BUT...

I already have too many reasons to get stopped by cops. don't need another one, haha.

·
Registered
301 Posts
[quote author=wrathchild613 link=topic=72259.msg1351906#msg1351906 date=1177043959]
ehhh...i love tint. BUT...

I already have too many reasons to get stopped by cops. don't need another one, haha.
[/quote]

No I hear that. In CA people don't get pulled over for tint. I have had tint on all my cars for over 15 years and I never get pulled over. I have even sat along side a cop at a red light, he looked at me, I looked at him, and then took off. No problem there. I guess it all depends on what state and city you live in.

My friend is a cop in Kansas, and pulls over anyone with tint, but in CA cops just don't do that. Cops in other states like to have an excuse to pull you over to either find something or to just show that they have balls.

I have heard of many people in CA getting pulled say for a ticket and they have tint on their windows and they won't get a ticket for that at all, just for the reason the cops pulled them in the first place, strange how cops react in different states and cities.

·
Registered
568 Posts
yeah -- i've heard that too. y'all are lucky.

hmmm...guess i'm moving to california then! haha

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don't pack your bags yet.... Two of my family members were both given fix-it tickets for front window tint this past year. Nothing extremely dark, either: they had 35% fronts. Like stallionre, I've been lucky; haven't been pulled over for tint in my 13 years. Most cops have better things to do than pull people over for tint, but in some cities especially, they can be quite anal about the tint rules.

·
Registered
301 Posts
[quote author=wrathchild613 link=topic=72259.msg1353124#msg1353124 date=1177094827]
yeah -- i've heard that too. y'all are lucky.

hmmm...guess i'm moving to california then! haha
[/quote]

Sounds good, I hope you have a sunroof becuase you will use it here. Enjoy the weather, and woman. :bananahump:

·
Registered
568 Posts
haha, nahh...unfortunately i'm stuck in kansas for a while -- atleast until i get my bachelors at KU.

and yes, i do have a sunroof -- they definitely come in handy!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Oh forget searching, ask and you shall receive. 20% all the way around, who cares what Colorado law states, i don’t and i haven’t had any trouble yet.

this one kinda shows that it isnt as dark as the above pics make it look like:

Would like to see some pics when you get your tint done!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
[quote author=Blue Moon link=topic=72259.msg1288594#msg1288594 date=1174770290]

[/quote]

Interesting post...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts