Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at my local law for tint, and found I can have tint on the back windows, however none is allowed on the front 3 windows. I was curious what percentage I could do on my front windows that would look good, but not get me harrassed by cops.

Craig

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
35% is dark enough to help block some UV rays and keep the interior decently cool. Cops shouldnt say naada about that.

Ive had 20% for about 3 weeks. Guess they dont car much in Colorado.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since you have a black car, a dark tint or reflected tint will look good
but of cos reflected will cost u more, as long as u are not above 35% u are fine, but just in case check the transportation law in your state.

MA is 35%

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I saw a Black Mica with 35% done on the front two windows.. It's way too dark becuase of the dark interior. The next step up from 35% is 50%, with that, i don't think you would be harassed by the cops.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I don't know how you guys are doing it, from my understand, the % means the % of light the film is letting through. So 50% you are letting 50% of the light through, 2.5% means you are blocking 97.5% of the light. That's my understanding.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
na, i think different country do it differently.. like miles per gallon.. and octane number, and a whole lot of whack that's really not standardized.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll do 50% on the front two and 2.5% on the rears. Fobby do you have a pic of what that would look like? From what I've always known, the % was how much light was allowed through.

Thanx
Craig

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
damn, that looks like limo black on the rears ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can you retake that picture outside in the sunlight so we can see your tint better? What level of tint is that on the Titanium Sedan, anyway?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any opinions on which type of tint film is the best? I know there are several types. Just browsing some local websites it seems that two major players are Llumar and 3M. I know a lot of the quality has to do with the installation, but does the brand matter much?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I have Llumar, and Ive had 3m before. Both good tint, havent faded on me.

But installation is key.

·
Registered
290 Posts
vaBooM said:
I have Llumar, and Ive had 3m before. Both good tint, havent faded on me.

But installation is key.

I agree.... and the tint install on these cars should be fairly easy for any reputable tint shop. The rear is usually the hardest part, especially on cars with the big curved hatch glass or deep rear decks. Just don't do it yourself - nothin worse that a hacked tint job.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I am getting my car tinted on Wednesday
Limo on the back 3, 35-45 on the front 2, and a 4 inch eyebrow limo on the front

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Rear windshield on the HBs is a PITA.

Took my installer about an hour to get it as good as it looks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my civic, my friend got his neon, and my other friend got his elantra tinted all at the same time. we all got 35% on the sides and 20% on the back. the percentage is the amount of light let through the window, so 20 is darker that 35. I wouldn't go any darker than 20 around the car unless you are sure you can get away with it in your state. I know PA is kinda strict. just a little FYI. I'll post a link to every states rules when I have a chance tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
RaGe said:
I am getting my car tinted on Wednesday
Limo on the back 3, 35-45 on the front 2, and a 4 inch eyebrow limo on the front
good luck ....thats pretty damn dark.....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts