Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to swap a Ford 2.5 into a 2004 Mazda 3 2.3. The reason for the swap is the previous owner hit a man hole cover with the oil pan. After pulling the motor found out the timing cover is broken as well. I've been searching but can't find a 2004/2005 2.3l timing cover.

Does anybody know the difference between the 04-05 and the 06-09 timing covers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to swap a Ford 2.5 into a 2004 Mazda 3 2.3. The reason for the swap is the previous owner hit a man hole cover with the oil pan. After pulling the motor found out the timing cover is broken as well. I've been searching but can't find a 2004/2005 2.3l timing cover.

i also have an issue with my timing chain cover on a 2006 Mazda Tribute with a 2.3L....a part of the cover where the studs go for the engine mounts broke and i wanted to replace the cover...went to Junkyard and found a 2006 escape with the same engine but the cover was about 2 inches longer...Went to the dealer and using the VIN, the one that they pulled for me was also 2 inches longer, same as the one from JY.... i tried several dealers but they were all different from mine...so now my best option is to hit several dealers or perhaps get the engine's number and see exactly what mazda did on that truck...

·
Registered
26 Posts
i also have an issue with my timing chain cover on a 2006 Mazda Tribute with a 2.3L....a part of the cover where the studs go for the engine mounts broke and i wanted to replace the cover...went to Junkyard and found a 2006 escape with the same engine but the cover was about 2 inches longer...Went to the dealer and using the VIN, the one that they pulled for me was also 2 inches longer, same as the one from JY.... i tried several dealers but they were all different from mine...so now my best option is to hit several dealers or perhaps get the engine's number and see exactly what mazda did on that truck...
This might sound silly but are you sure that the motor you have is the 2.3L. I don't think they ever put the in 2.0L in the tribute but I wonder if the motor was swapped for some reason and that was all that was available. 2 inches sounds about like the difference in deck height between the 2.0L and 2.3L. There'd be a casting mark with the displacement on the back of the block in-between the passenger half shaft and the exhaust manifold, you'd be able to see it if you were under it like you were doing an oil change

I know on the early cars the oil passage for vct was run through an oil galley built into the timing cover. My 2005 is like this. They changed that though for the later versions where the galley is instead drilled through the block deck and runs through the mating surface of the block and head. The other difference is the early cars always used the smaller crank pulley and crank position sensor. The later versions including all 2.5L's used a larger crank pulley and crank position sensor where the ears are longer and the mounting studs are farther apart.

If you have a 2.5L, it shouldn't have the vct oil passage in the timing cover but you'll have to check on your old motor which crank position sensor you have. You'll probably just have to find a 2.3L cover with the smaller cps sensor standoffs which would be on any of the early 2.3L Mazda 3's, 5's, tribute or escape.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might sound silly but are you sure that the motor you have is the 2.3L. I don't think they ever put the in 2.0L in the tribute but I wonder if the motor was swapped for some reason and that was all that was available. 2 inches sounds about like the difference in deck height between the 2.0L and 2.3L. There'd be a casting mark with the displacement on the back of the block in-between the passenger half shaft and the exhaust manifold, you'd be able to see it if you were under it like you were doing an oil changeI know on the early cars the oil passage for vct was run through an oil galley built into the timing cover. My 2005 is like this. They changed that though for the later versions where the galley is instead drilled through the block deck and runs through the mating surface of the block and head. The other difference is the early cars always used the smaller crank pulley and crank position sensor. The later versions including all 2.5L's used a larger crank pulley and crank position sensor where the ears are longer and the mounting studs are farther apart.

If you have a 2.5L, it shouldn't have the vct oil passage in the timing cover but you'll have to check on your old motor which crank position sensor you have. You'll probably just have to find a 2.3L cover with the smaller cps sensor standoffs which would be on any of the early 2.3L Mazda 3's, 5's, tribute or escape.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
i purchase the vehicle for the original owner and she said that the engine had not been changed but my next option was to get the engines I.D. number and go to the dealership maybe the could tell me exactly what what engine it is...thanks for the info about the 2.0L i will go to JY and take a look at one...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts