Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hearing a pretty large rattling sound from the timing chain and a rattling/tapping sound at idle, I’m assuming this means my timing chain needs to be rebuilt? Any help is great thanks guys

·
Registered
309 Posts
It sounds like you're not a DIYer who would do this work yourself. If so, I'm not sure if you're aware what a timing chain (and related component) replacement would cost - probably somewhere around $1500, depending on where you live. Although timing chains can and do loosen up and make noise over time, they can also go a long time like that without causing any other problems. So depending on what your long term plan is for this vehicle, you might consider the option of just ignoring the noise and keep driving it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I’m hearing a pretty large rattling sound from the timing chain and a rattling/tapping sound at idle, I’m assuming this means my timing chain needs to be rebuilt? Any help is great thanks guys
Please stop driving your car until you can get it repaired. You will destroy the engine if you keep driving it with a bad timing chain/VVT gear. A good timing kit is under $500, but I don’t know the labor cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts