Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mz3 is my first non Honda/Acura product, so I was just looking for some clarification. Does the Mz3 use a chain vs. a belt? No replacement necessary at 100,000 kms?

·
Registered
63 Posts
it uses a chain, as far as replacement....I havent a clue......I dont think they require you to replace the chain..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Chain and no replacement. As for servicing the chain, I don't think it needs anything. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Timing chains just need to be inspected. Even though timing chains are designed to be a life-time part, they can still break. It's not unheard of. The first generation Infinity Q45 was notorious for this.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Is the 2.3 litre a non-interference engine? I broke a timing belt in my old Celica and it cost me about $1500 to fix everything that was broken becuase of it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Timing belts are prone to breaking more than chains simply because... well, it's a chain :)

Chains were used in the Nissan KA24DE engine, and I believe they're still used in the VQ30 engine in the Maxima.

I love chain-driven systems. Chains are not bulletproof, but it's one less thing on your mind to replace and worry about. I constantly check the timing belt on my current car for fraying and slack. Not so with a chain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Both engines are interference type.

The crank bolt is a "keyless" type with the clamping force holding the engine in time.

DO NOT...

Remove the crank bolt unless you pin the crank and bar the cams first.

There are slots on the rear of the cams that a special inserts into.

There is a bolt in the side of the block and a pin is inserted in the crank.

Thats all I got to say about that.. :roll:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Story that started bad but ended okay was my wife's 1984 Camry. We had no clue about the timing belt. Well, at 64,000 miles it went. Luckily because it was a Toyota (think Honda and Subaru are major fixes), we had no engine work needed, just replace the timing belt.

Thankfully the M3 has a chain.

Kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a tidbit, so far I havent heard of any chain problems on the 6's or the 3's - seems to be pretty solidly built. My parts guys think there are only 23 chains in the country, so thats a good sign.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
dugrant153 said:
Timing belts are prone to breaking more than chains simply because... well, it's a chain :)

Chains were used in the Nissan KA24DE engine, and I believe they're still used in the VQ30 engine in the Maxima.

I love chain-driven systems. Chains are not bulletproof, but it's one less thing on your mind to replace and worry about. I constantly check the timing belt on my current car for fraying and slack. Not so with a chain.
Hey, you'll also be glad to know that both the KA24 engines (single or dual cam), the SR20DE, and the VQ series V6 motors are non interference engines. Even if that timing chain goes - you're not going to end up with massive damage.

I've got to give Nissan credit - they make some really good engines :)

Actually, there are only a handfull of recent Nissan engine variants that are interference type... but they're the most popular ones :)

the CA variants, the RB variants (I think), and all VG variants (sucks for me).

I have no clue about the QR and QG motors in the new Sentras or the V8s :|

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
strangely enough, (as I bump this thread), I was looking at my Mazda 3 brochure and they showed a picture of an engine that's supposedly the MZR.

Apparently there's a belt on the motor... is that the accessory belt ??... or... just a wrong pic?? Cuz it sure doesn't look like a chain.

·
Registered
878 Posts
dugrant153 said:
strangely enough, (as I bump this thread), I was looking at my Mazda 3 brochure and they showed a picture of an engine that's supposedly the MZR.

Apparently there's a belt on the motor... is that the accessory belt ??... or... just a wrong pic?? Cuz it sure doesn't look like a chain.

The Mazda3 2.3L engine has a chain, so don't worry about it breaking.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
From what i have read, if a timing chain or belt breaks on a DOHC engine it is real bad news (). There are exceptions of course. Someone please correct me if i was reading an article written by an idiot.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
RonH said:
dugrant153 said:

The Mazda3 2.3L engine has a chain, so don't worry about it breaking.
Hmm... so where does that belt picture come in? unless it's a mistake?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
How do you know if the engine is an interference engine or not. My girlfriend drives a 98 stealth and it's getting close to 96k. Time to change the belt right? OR can we wait until it breaks. I tried searching the web and nothing came up.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
do you want to be broken down on the side of the road and get towed when it does break? Timing belts are not something you change out Roadside.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
good to know it's got a chain only.
Makes maintenance quite a bit easier.

G

·
0 Posts
zimmerDN said:
How do you know if the engine is an interference engine or not. My girlfriend drives a 98 stealth and it's getting close to 96k. Time to change the belt right? OR can we wait until it breaks. I tried searching the web and nothing came up.
Definitely don't wait for it to break....pain in the ass getting it towed, and you'll likely bend every valve in the head...around $2000 to get fixed. To be honest, I know very little about the Mitsu 3.0, so call a dealer parts dept and ask them if it's chain or belt....have your vin # ready, as I think there were two different V6s available for that car. If it's chain (I don't think it is) then forget about it! If it's a belt, you're WAY overdue...unless you like being stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been working on the many engines since I was in high school. I haven't seen any broken chains, so don't worry about it. My other car which is 1990 240sx has timing chain and it has about 200,000 miles on it, no problem.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
LOL, when my Celicas timing belt went I pretty much just got the car and I took a few friends out for a drive in it, thing broke down a few miles outside of town, no one had a cell phone so we walked back, super embarassing. So yah I would suggest replacing your timing belt before it breaks, its pretty cheap to do so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts