Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2.0L in the 2009 Mazda 3 have a timing belt or a timing chain? If it is a timing chain is there a normal schedule or even a recommended interval for its replacement? (My previous car which was a Chev Cavalier with 2.2 Ecotec and had a timing chain which owners have found should be replaced at 160,000km because they have a tendancy to break and cause major engine damage.)

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
tis a chain. not sure about life or set interval for changing...did you check the manual?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=140927.msg3037848#msg3037848 date=1238813049]
tis a chain. not sure about life or set interval for changing...did you check the manual?
[/quote]
Thanks, its not mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
the chain usually doesnt break. the guides wear out and make it noisy

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just bought a 2009 i touring a few weeks back. The salesman (who actually seemed very knowledgable(22yrs. selling mazda)) told me it has a chain and it should never need replacing.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Never need replacing? I would ignore that. All parts will need to be replaced sooner or later. Look at Mercedes - they've used chains for many years but never tell someone NOT to ever replace it.

Chains just last a lot longer, but will eventually need replacing.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
you would need an engine overhaul by the time the chain goes anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Geeze....I guess I should have posted "Probably never"...I realize parts wear out eventually! That being said I think his point was the timing chain is not on a routine maintenance list! I sure many other more expensive parts would wear out long before the timing chain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
FemGearHead...do you have plans to replace your timing chain? When would YOU recommend changing it and why?

Mercedes and others have timing chains probably due to the fact they have interference engines. My MIL has a mercedes with 350K on it. She's replaced about every part in the car, but I doubt she's replaced the timing chain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone out there ever replaced their timing chain? I'd be curious to hear from those who had at what mileage their mechanic or shop told them is necessary.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd have to imagine that timing chains only really get replaced when rebuilding the engine. My Oldsmobile had 125k miles on it's timing chain without any issues.

My gf's VW and my mom's Santa Fe both have timing belts and they are recommended to be replaced every 60k miles. Woof!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If a mechanic told me to replace my timing chain I'd be looking for a new mechanic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2005 2.0 3-Sport, I'm assuming it has a timing chain too, since the maintenance guide doesn't mentino anything about changing a timing belt....

·
Banned
160 Posts
It's def timing chain, only few cars use timing belts. I've only seen a couple of motors lose timing tensioners or other timing issues with a chain that caused the engine to self destruct if they had been maintained properly. Most timing issues are manufacturer defects, improper installation at a later date or maintenance issues. Most chain systems are maintenance free upwards of a quarter million miles. A few systems are craptastic enough that you should consider replacing the chain and tensioner every 100-150k miles or so. Ours is not such a system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 2009 mazda 2.0 liter has almost 170,000 and is getting the timing chain done. We believe that it streched from the a/c compressor locking up. The chain had over an inch of play in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts