Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed that one of my MTX RT-10 subs seems to be a bit looser than the other. When I press on the cone to listen for any damage and whatnot (which there is no scraping), it just seems very loose compared to my other one. I'm not sure why but I'm guessing it probably has something to do with running 250rms to each one when they are only 200rms and having a 500W peak for each one when the real spec for each sub is 400W peak. With the one being looser it is putting out much more bass compared to the other one when at higher volumes (and it also seems to have a hint of loosing sound quality when the cone goes past where it is supposed to. It doesn't sound bad but nonetheless it is audible. At least to me.)

So with that being said, having saved up some money and a tax return coming back soon, I'm on the hunt for two new subwoofers. I'm not looking for anything amazing, just something capable of holding up what I'm throwing at it. I was VERY pleased with my two RT-10's so I'm not looking to jump into the 500W-1000W range for each sub.

What I am looking for is two, 10" subwoofers, with handling power between 250-300W rms. I am also looking to spend under $170 for both as I don't want to completely drain my wallet with the economy right now.

So, ideas? I figured I would ask you guys because you probably know what's best.

Thanks,

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, well then what price range am I looking at for something good in the 250-300W rms range? Keep in mind my amp only does 500W @ 2 Ohms and 300W @ 4 Ohms. I figured I would just keep the dual setup since I already have the box for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you have a sealed box or ported? Also are you looking for sound quality or loudness, or both.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a sealed box and I am pretty much going for both. The best I can get with how much power I have to work with. But nothing too pricey.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am a big fan of image dynamics subwoofers but they are a bit pricey at 160 dollars for one 10 inch sub, I have heard the 12 inch version of the eD subwoofer I linked above and thought it sounded great I am sure 2 10 inchers would sound equally good if not better and at 90 dollars each they are close to your planned budget. I'm sure others will reply with other suggestions, I have had cheap jl audio, polk, and kicker subs in years past and was not impressed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm actually really looking at that one. I really appreciate the help! By the looks of the reviews, some people have these hooked up to some low power systems with decent results. Most definitely a consideration! Thanks a bunch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts