Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting that squeaky noise from the front driver side of the car, when the clutch isn't depressed. When I depress the clutch, the noise goes away.

The noise is very very faint right now (only noticed it today and was only audible at quiet spots with a wall next to car, ie. drive thru). I had the exact same noise 1 1/2 year ago and it turned out to be the throw out bearing was slowly going bad.

What the hell is causing that the bearing to go bad? Please tell me it's not the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Don't know, but I drove over 100,000 miles in my old honda with that thing squeeking away

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If it were your throwout bearing it'd be doing it while the clutch was depressed, not the other way around. That being said, I have no idea what else it could be.

·
Registered
781 Posts
On my 1993 civic mine started doing it right after I got a new clutch, and just as you say it squeeks whenever your foot is not on the clutch. On mine you could just barely touch the pedal and it would stop. I always thought it odd, but it must have something to do with the throw bearing.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=ViperKillerWannabe link=topic=66085.msg1133081#msg1133081 date=1167940566]
If it were your throwout bearing it'd be doing it while the clutch was depressed, not the other way around.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall the opposite.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=zimmerDN link=topic=66085.msg1138688#msg1138688 date=1168272906]
[quote author=ViperKillerWannabe link=topic=66085.msg1133081#msg1133081 date=1167940566]
If it were your throwout bearing it'd be doing it while the clutch was depressed, not the other way around.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall the opposite.
[/quote]

The throwout bearing allows the clutch to spin on the transmission's input shaft while the clutch is disengaged (pedal in). So, if the clutch is engaged (pedal out), the bearing won't even be moving.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
He is right, the noise should only be occuring with the clutch pushed in if it was the throw out bearing. It could be an issue with the pressure plate.
-Matt

·
Registered
479 Posts
Don't know if this is related, but I've been having a strange noise while shifting my MTX.

From the actual shifter, I hear a chirping/squeaking sound as I move the shifter from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. It is very faint, but there. Obviously the clutch is in when I do these shifts, but the noise isn't the normal creaking that people complain about with the clutch pedal. This is a chirp from under the fake leather shift boot.

The strangest part is that if I'm cruising in gear, off of the throttle, and the just give the throttle a little punch, I can hear the chirping from the shifter as if the jolt from pushing the gas pedal caused it.

Can anyone help me zero in on the cause of this problem???

·
Registered
248 Posts
More likely it is the T/O bearing. I drove my Pulsar for years with that same sound, only when the clutch wasn't pressed in. Finally replaced it and noise went away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts