Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my ScanGaugeII from the GB.

One of the gauges I have up is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor?). I have noticed that even when I 'floor it' through the gears, the TPS will only ever go to 87. Shouldn't it go to 100 for WOT?

Is there some more power in my car just not available because it won't open the throttle the whole way. Anyone else with a SGII care to check this? I only just got over the break in period of 600 miles, but maybe the ECU prevents WOT until after 1,000 miles or something? I seem to remember my old 3 picking up more power as I got up over 1,000 miles, so maybe thats it. It also starts to sound better after 1,000 miles, from previous experience.

I plan on doing a TB ground as soon as I get the supplies. Do you think resetting the ECU now would correct it or the TB ground?

·
Registered
819 Posts
[quote author=claudius753 link=topic=70957.msg1245742#msg1245742 date=1172895227]
I just got my ScanGaugeII from the GB.

One of the gauges I have up is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor?). I have noticed that even when I 'floor it' through the gears, the TPS will only ever go to 87. Shouldn't it go to 100 for WOT?

Is there some more power in my car just not available because it won't open the throttle the whole way. Anyone else with a SGII care to check this? I only just got over the break in period of 600 miles, but maybe the ECU prevents WOT until after 1,000 miles or something? I seem to remember my old 3 picking up more power as I got up over 1,000 miles, so maybe thats it. It also starts to sound better after 1,000 miles, from previous experience.

I plan on doing a TB ground as soon as I get the supplies. Do you think resetting the ECU now would correct it or the TB ground?
[/quote]

I would def ground the TB, but i have 2.5k miles on mine and I can't tell if the throttle is open or not (no SGII =[ ) but I can tell u that TB ground and Intake resonator bypass made an amazing difference in my 07 HB!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely thinking of doing the resonator bypass.  The 2-3 shift at redline already sounds awesome, I'm sure the deleted IR would make it sound even better.  Also makes way for a future intake, won't have to worry about taking it out then.

Do you happen to remember how much (length) of wire you used for the TB ground and what gauge? I might just get a BCC instead, don't know how much better that would be than just grounding.

·
Registered
819 Posts
[quote author=claudius753 link=topic=70957.msg1245795#msg1245795 date=1172897708]
I am definitely thinking of doing the resonator bypass. The 2-3 shift at redline already sounds awesome, I'm sure the deleted IR would make it sound even better. Also makes way for a future intake, won't have to worry about taking it out then.

Do you happen to remember how much (length) of wire you used for the TB ground and what gauge? I might just get a BCC instead, don't know how much better that would be than just grounding.
[/quote]

About 3 ft of 8ga grounded to battery neg terminal.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
You're correct - the stock ECU never 100% opens the throttle (verified this today while dyno'ing and running scanning). Here's the kicker though – after you’ve pressed the pedal past 80% the car just assumes you’re flooring it anyway so it’s not making more or less if you have it at 80% or 99%. So yes it's normal. Damn electronic TB...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts