Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a throttle body spacer for the 3. Also, anyone know how its supposed to make more power. Saw it on tv on a dodge charger and it actually produced higher numbers on the dyno.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting, I have no idea how it would work, and it doesnt seem like it would make a bug difference, but it might be cheap :)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
yea they are made for a bunch of cars and all have seen to get good results. not sure if any are made for the 3

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I've only seen them for v6 or v8 cars. I know Modified Mag did a dyno for a manifold spacer on a 350Z and it gave them +8 or so hp near the top end. I don't know exactly how they work so I'm kinda in the dark.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
[quote author=rustyrider link=topic=68503.msg1189155#msg1189155 date=1170736282]
i think they are only for carberated cars like that charger
[/quote]

That's my understanding from the few decent things I could find to read about it.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
They are for fuel injection as well. From my knowledge it allows the air further distance to cool, and on some applications it actually kinda swirls the air into the TB.

I have seen them on modern mustangs and trucks....but like someone stated above...mainly for larger displacement engines

·
Registered
695 Posts
i had outlaw engineering phenolic spacers for the IM and the TB on my mx6 that i had. never had a dyno comparison...but even after a long hot day of beating up the car, you could hold your hand on the intake mani and not get burned.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Spacer on an intake manifold make some sense. they are designed to thermally insulate a metal intake manifold from the metal head. This reduces heat transfer significantly and thus reduces heating of the intake air/fuel charge while it passes through the intake runners. It does however push the torque band further down the RPM range as it increases running length to some degree (of course a 1/8" spacer might only move it down a few dozen rpms).

A TB spacer on a fuel injected vehicle really doesn't do a dang thing other then increase the IM plenum volume slightly...which increases throttle lag slightly...but also changes the resonation in the intake manifold to a degree...not necessarily positively or negatively. On a carburated vehicle it does allow additional mixing of the A/F charge...that doesn't occur on a fuel injected vehicle unless it is a throttle body injected car, which the 3 most certainly is not.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeah, fuel injected cars I have seen them for(corvettes, mustangs, GTOs, etc.) didn't show any gains from them. Not worth the cost is what most people say.

·
Registered
913 Posts
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/04f150aira.htm

For the Lazy.

What does a Throttle Body Spacer Do? A throttle body spacer is designed to increase speed and volume to the incoming intake air, and atomize the fuel more efficiently increasing HP, and MPG. A throttle body spacer is a fairly simple modification to add to your vehicle, installation time is less than 30 minutes with very basic hand tools.

If it helps.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
People are getting confused here. The topic is about throttle body spacers, not intake manifold spacers, two different things.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My post was for tb space.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
[quote author=Hindi link=topic=68503.msg1193752#msg1193752 date=1170903736]
i think the tb spacers are pretty point less. its just like adding length to you intake
[/quote]

What are you talking about? It works to "atomize the fuel" increasing HP and MPG. With a word like atomize it HAS to be effective.

Okay, sarcasm aside, I really don't understand how this would work at all. Anyone have an idea about the physics behind this and how it could possibly work on our cars? It doesn't seem like it would do anything at all, as though it is in the realm of a Turbonator...

·
Registered
568 Posts
lol. yea if by atomize you mean make a longer distance from the end of your intake to the intake valves

also nothing is even close to the mad power gains from turbonator(seriously turbo and nator in the same word thats as alsome a chuck norris.........almost)

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
In the case of a carb spacer it places the carb further from the intake ports. When the air flows through the carb the fuel is sucked from the carb into the ingoing air stream. This causes mixing of the air and fuel. However it is not instantenous. The more 'time' the air and fuel spend together in a high velocity stream...especially with some swirling or turbulence the more they mix. To much time and the fuel can percipitate on the intake runner walls, not enough time and you are sucking in a poorly mixed grouping of fuel and air making the burn rate slower and less likely to properly burn all of the fuel.

For a throttle body spacer you get just about jack. The only thing it does is add volume to the plenum chamber (and not that much unless it is like a 6" thick spacer).

Read this article from my Almamater. It does an excellent job describing the effect of plenum on power production.

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/fall05/SAE/intake.html

If you read through it you can see that a larger plenum might not get you the power where you want it (if a big plenum was so damn hot why the heck would individual runner throttle bodies be 'the thing'?)
-Matt

PS don't forget to keep in mind looking at the information this is also an engine that revs EXTREMELY high. I forget the exact numbers, but the generally accepted volume you want is 50-60% of the displacement of the engine to generate peak torque in the range of 5000-6000rpms. This means that on a 2.0L engine you want about 1000-1200cc of plenum displacement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts