Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any discussion about the rumor of a three-door hatch variant of the 3? I have read this in more than one place. I'm doubting that it will be released alongside the four-door sedan and five-door wagon ... is this rumored model intended for release later next year or as a 2005 model? I'm surprised there has not been more discussion on it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There was an article in AutoWeek, and they mentioned this:

"Mazda plans call for a three-door, wagon and convertible 3, and MazdaSpeed, MPS and all-wheel-drive versions available by the end of calendar year 2005."

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started the topic because there was no discussion on the rumored 3-door model. The statement about your desired model has no need here. This post was meant for factual information, not taking a poll on model preference.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Conversely, this forum in its entirety is indeed inteded to voice ones opinions, preferences, questions, and stories. What dinu01 said was in no way offensive to any party, and therefore has every right to be in this thread. Let's not start something over nothing.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would love to see a coupe instead of a 3-door hatch. Thats what the Focus is for. A MazdaSpeed coupe with AWD. That would be nice.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Wishes and reality:

I wish that a 3DR hot hatch along with a coupe/convertible would arrive. Reality is that HBs generate negligeable sales (at best) in NA. Same for coupes. In a society that favours large cars, it doesn't make sense (financially) for a manufacturer to produce these types of cars.

While the Euro market loves HBs, the necessary chnages a company would haveto make to bring a car over the ocean would not be offset by sales, so while we can dream and speculate all we want, i really doubt we'll see a 3DR, convertible or coupe of the Mazda3.

Is this a better answer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree. A 3-door is just not going to happen in the US, and probably not anywhere else - not as a Mazda3 anyway. Who knows what else Mazda, Ford or Volvo have in mind for this platform down the road? Anyway, manufacturers have gotten so much better at acheiving structural stiffness, there is really little practical reason for a 3-door over a 5-door anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think maybe people have the wrong idea about a "three-door hatch". We know the Focus and Golf have 3-door hatches that are proportionally the same as the 5-door versions. I can't see them doing that to the MZ3 - it looks like it was meant to have four doors, no more, no less.

What if they're referring to a 3-door sport hatch along the lines of the Celica, Eclipse, and RSX? They certainly have significant US sales, particularly in the coveted "youth market". Why doesn't Mazda try for a piece of that? The RX-8 is too expensive, even in auto trim. The rumored RX-7 won't be cheap either. Mazda really should have a coupe in the low $20,000 range if it wants to attract sporty car buyers, based off the MZ3 platform.

New MX-3 anyone?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Mazda really should have a low $20,000 range if it wants to attract sporty car buyers, based off the MZ3 platform.
I don't really think Mazda needs a coupe to do that. I think they're doing it with the 3 as it is. I mean, I guess that's what I am- a low $20k sporty car buyer. I find the 3 more a more attractive car than the celica or eclipse, coupe or no coupe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
Mazda really should have a low $20,000 range if it wants to attract sporty car buyers, based off the MZ3 platform.
I don't really think Mazda needs a coupe to do that. I think they're doing it with the 3 as it is. I mean, I guess that's what I am- a low $20k sporty car buyer. I find the 3 more a more attractive car than the celica or eclipse, coupe or no coupe.
ditto the the nth degree

1 - 20 of 40 Posts